1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Giant Multiplayer Robot Unofficial League

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Multiplayer' started by Rillithain, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

I actually hire a team of monkeys to play my turns for me, which explains why I'm so awful and always losing

2. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Ahh, the infinite monkey strat, wise move ;)

Sign me up for the league.

3. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

We've hit 20 players - that is a pretty good start. Once we get started, people can still join.
    I might have to rethink the scoring on this - i can't find an online solution that works that way (with the -1 for a loss). I wanted it so that there would be a slight advantage to someone that played more games, but that they still had to have a winning balance to be in front. I also didn't want it being an all manually done with me having to sort winners each time there are games played (which is why I was looking for an existing online system or even downloadable script to run on a webserver)

I'm open to ideas.. If someone plays 100 games, we need a solution so that if someone joins the league late, they still have a chance to eventually catch up, not within a few games, but not something that is insurmountable.

4. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

It takes time to finish a game. Probably get games going while figuring out the scoring? Just a comment, cheers

5. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

That is true, though - i'd like something started to direct people to.. I'll see what I can do for a middle road type of action

6. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

Going to start tomorrow most likely.. i have a website (though, its nothing special, and all manual work).. at the pace that games end on GMR, I don't think its too much of an issue.
    When we do start, I will send everyone an email on the GMR site. Instructions will be on the website (not all written yet).. and the first theme will be up.. going to start small - the first theme will be a 1v1 mirror match with some strict rules :) More info to follow..

7. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

hi Taberizzo and KingMorgan - are you on GMR? I can't find your profiles.. what is your GMR user name? If you don't have a user id, you'll need to signup on the site.

Everyone else, you will receive a message on the GMR site shortly..

8. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

I'm signed up on GMR now - elkingmorgan.

How does one get invited to the NQ group on steam?

9. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

hmm.. did you rename to kingmorgan? I found a kingmorgan on the site now, but I don't see an elkingmorgan.

I'm not sure about the NQ steam group.. I'm not part of it.

10. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Kingmorgan, sorry.

11. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

Well, the league has been underway now for 10 days, there are 3 games are completed, and 12 are in progress.

League website: http://civilization5league.weebly.com/

Remember - if you are in the league, find an opponent you want to challenge from the standings. Next week, we're going to have a new theme started (but the old one will continue going) for some more variety.

And - newcomers are always welcome!

12. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Any leak on the new theme? ffa?

13. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

Check out the website - I have a voting booth (top menu) there for people to select from 5 options. Which ever wins, i'll make that the theme (and then I have to write up some typical advanced settings and create a default save file to download for those that want to use that)

14. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

Ok - the next theme is up, the details can be seen here

http://civilization5league.weebly.com/themes.html (click Theme 2 for the rules, the save file and screen shots)

Good Luck all.. it is a 2 on 2 theme, as selected by the voting poll

Theme 1 is still active as well until March 1st

15. avl8

avl8 Prince

This sounds great!

Except the part "every world wonder is eligible".

Getting Terracota Army is so imbalanced...

16. Rillithain

Rillithain Chieftain

Theme 1 is no longer active, but - the good news is that I've added Theme #3 now which is a 4 player FFA on a standard map. Have fun.

I still have the Terracotta Army enabled though.. as it can be confusing for folks to remember which games they can build which wonders.. i will remove it occasionally though where I think I can (typically where the game is unique enough)

17. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

Great!

18. pvtjava

pvtjava The Grey Cat

Hi. I am very interested in this. As background, I have never tried MP, but would like to. A structured environment to play is very welcome. I feel lost out here.
    I logged into GMR through Steam. I am "thegreycat" on Steam. Any help given from this point is appreciated.
    Also, why do you deactivate themes? I thought the 1v1 would be a good way to get started, but now I see it's no longer active. What does that mean exactly?

19. pvtjava

pvtjava The Grey Cat

Any one interested in a theme 3 game? I see on GMR that many of you have lots of games going already, so I figured I would just give an open invite here. Just let me know and I can start a game. Or accept an invite, whichever. Will we need four for theme 3 or can AI make up the difference?

It would be nice to have a central location to arrange games. It is difficult to find everyone in the league at GMR without typing everyone's name in individually. Although many are on the first page.;) Perhaps a steam chat group so everyone's name lines up with GMR.

20. basituldi

basituldi Chieftain

You would have better success to get an answer if you challenged directly people using GMR's private message system, though you need to be registered first as a League member by Rillithain.

Moreover, there is a forum for the League: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/multiplayerrobot/discussions/1/ but I doubt very many people use it. Again you'd better send private messages on GMR, that's the usual way we handle our "battles", by using private threads on a per game/per team basis.