Giant Multiplayer Robot Unofficial League

Rillithain

Chieftain
I've posted this in the Steam Group "Giant Multiplayer Robot" to drum up some interest in a league. Please read and if interested, please join up!

--------------------------
I think the tournament was great, and I thank you everyone that was part of it for making it a success. Congratulations to PrimEvalCIV for his victory, and congratulations to FilthyRobot for making it to the finals. Thanks to NullMaster's help as well for doing admin functions behind the scenes to help things progress.

The biggest complaint I heard from players in the tournament was that once they were out - it was over for them, and they did not get to continue in with the fun. That's how single elimination tournaments are - you lose once, you are left on the sidelines.

So - lets do a league instead!

This takes commitment from the players though. We need people that know that they will still be playing Civilization hot seat games and they won't be dropping out.

The idea is, that there will be themes and within each theme, players play games (that match the themes) and report their scores to count toward the league.
The format and theme of the games will be constantly changing each month or two (not sure of frequency). We could have some 1) complete domination, 2) culture victory only, 3) 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 games, 4) space victory only etc etc etc.... I think you get the idea!

Winners of their games will get 1 point for each win, and if they lose they will subtract one point. So if you win 25 games and lose 15 games your total score in the standings is +10. This is to make it that those that join the tournament later still have a chance.. For games where there are teams, each team member would get 1 point, and each losing team member would subtract 1 point. The win percentage will also be tracked and posted. (this of course is all dependent on me finding a good site to track the league). (scoring idea is still tentative at this time).

If a player surrenders the game early for no apparent reason, they will subtract 1 point automatically. Once you start a game, you have to finish it to not get penalized. Hopefully we will not have issues with players constantly surrendering a game on the go, else something will have to be put in place to address that.

This is my current idea: This may change depending on the difficulty of executing the plan:

1) To make this more flexible as well, new people can join up anytime and will request games based on other players availability.
2) Players can play as many games as they wish, as long as the games are tracked (to be determined how), and labelled as league games (it can't be decided after the fact to count as a league game). The game will have to match the current theme when created. If the player doesn't like the theme, they can wait until next theme.
3) A list of names will be somewhere for those looking for opponents for league games.
4) When the game is assigned, one person will be designated as the host, and it is their responsibility to create the game as outlined in the email (that will be sent for games to be scheduled).
5) Once the game is over, one player from each side/team will report the results, and points will be tabulated.

For civilizations, you will not be locked into one particular civ - again it will be based on the themes. Some games you might get a random civ, others you may have to pick from some options. I want this to be something that allows everyone to try new game settings and civilizations.

At this time, i'm not 100% sure of how it will be managed (via website, wiki etc). I'm investigating what free options are available out there, but I wanted to start by first getting names of those interested.

Please sign up if interested! Once I get enough interest, I'm going to post more information. Please be aware that this will be a big undertaking initially, so it won't be anything starting this week or even next week. I need to confirm details, get a website for tracking, and make concrete rules (and have people review for accuracy).
The end result though I think will be worth the work!

Interested people!

1. Rillithain
2. FilthyRobot
3. rstart84
4. Foffaren
5. avl8
6. EEE_Boy
7. Basituldi
8. KonohaTensai
9. Ashley J. Williams
10. Winnetou
11. Kavalor
12. Curieux_Murray
13. CB
14. erekose
15. Atradie
16. Flaminghomer92
17. hoagie
18. Taberizzo
19. KingMorgan
20. vanlaerpieter

That's a great idea, Rillithain! :goodjob:
I would definitely like to join that kind of league, because I prefer to take part in competitive games within GMR.

Great idea, Rilly!

I will certainly join once I have some free time to start new GMR games :)
Playing 48 GMR games at the moment feels like too much!

I think that joining the league doesn't mean that the person should participate in all games of the league. It means that if all participants of some particular game are members of the league, the game results (who won or lost) and regarding scores can be counted toward the league.

RStark is correct. When you are in the league, you can reach out to other league members and ask if they want a game. Someone creates the game following the rules of the theme for that time within the league. The game is played, someone wins, and the game results get posted and added to the league. Its a 'self scheduling' league so that people can play games based on their availability. That is why emphasis is more on win percentage or +/- wins rather that total wins.

In my opinion, if matches are not imposed randomly, then some kind of weighting should be introduced depending on whether you beat someone well ahead of yourself or well below. Otherwise just challenge every newcomer to GMR, and systematically turn down invites by people you think will crush you, and just be the leader of the league, because you can :p!

The games will only count against those in the league - all opponents in the game when it starts must be league players... FilthyRobot and I were talking about what to do about weighting, but its a challenge to do the scoring on that, as that would be all manual. Instead I'm trying to think of a system where challenges are restricted, as that was one thing we talked about - someone could find a poor sap that sucks at the game (like me!) and just keep playing that one person. So either that you can't play someone multiple times in the month or something.. The best option all depends how many players we get joining the league. if we get 100.. then its much easier to expect playing new opponents each time - if we only get 15, that will be tough. An option could be as well restrictions against opponents that are too far away in the rankings compared to you.. for that though we need lots of league players

IN a league every team player plays the same amount of games so keep that in mind. Basicly make it like this :

15 teams who play 1 time agianst eachother.

All victory types enabled except diplomatic

Anyone have ideas for free or at least low price online management software? I don't need hosting specifically, but either the software, or using an online plan. So many are geared towards sports. I was looking at League Republic maybe, but their ads are not very appropriate for all I think.

Great idea! Looking forward to see how the rules, etc. of the league develops!
Please count me in.

Cheers,
Hoagie

Hi Rillithain. you become No. 1 in GMR score and you are an admin now?

Hi EEE_Boy, yeah, i was approached asking if I wanted to help out with some simple requests, such as reverting turns and kicking people from games if requested, etc since I'm on the site waaaay too much already.. so I said yes.

Top Bottom