GiantGuineaPig's 2nd Pitboss game!

Yeah it was. You and I missed a turn, but it's been rolled back to 1916, where Agemo left off. So you've lost the turn you made in 1918, but nobody misses a turn now.

In case you're looking at the civstats and wondering what in the hell happened 1924-26. I took my turn, and later the game crashed; when it was reloaded I lost my turn, and the turn ended before I could have my go again. So I asked GGP to reload so I could take my turn. Second time around, I ended up winning a crucial battle that I'd lost the first time I attacked Harappan, with the result that Harappan is now razed - sorry Dan.

First time Harappan was left with a single 0.9 HP mech inf, so it was a close battle anyway. Ironically more of my air units were intercepted the second time around, but my gunship won the one that mattered.

Hmmmm, yeah, seems weird:eek: . Maybe it would have been fair if you had postponed your attack when you got your '2nd chance'. You seem to have logged in during turn 1926, too, possibly getting additional knowledge.

But it really shouldn't matter much. Sooner or later you will conquer every city anyway:crazyeye: .

CONGRATULATIONS DribNairb!

That was a nice surprise:goodjob: . How did you do that? Got Great Artists from someone?

And many thanks to GiantGuineaPig for hosting this very interesting game so long without even playing himself:)

Thanks! I've been storing up Great Artists and trying to keep them hidden from prying eyes. I put 5 into my third city on the last turn! I was hoping someone would help me by providing GA's but I had to generate them all myself.

I didn't think I'd manage to do it, but while everyone was distracted attacking or being attacked by Wing Wah I just hoped they would leave me alone.

A special thanks to GenSeed who was very helpful in the latter parts of the game (at least until he disappeared:eek:) and DanDridge who was very nice at the end with technologies. And obviously thanks to Wing Wah for only destroying one of my cities :p !

Does anyone want a discussion as to what happened in the game? It's the only 24 hour pitboss game I've played, but I found it very interesting. I was confused a lot of the time as to who may have been helping who.

In particular, Wing Wah told me someone paid him to send his Cavalry into my territory for reconnaissance - is this true or was it just a ploy to make me think he wasn't going to attack me?

Also, what happened to Rince? A few turns after we agreed to help each other out on technologies he disappeared...

I assume PMB was helping Wing Wah most of the game, but I can't quite understand exactly what he got out of it.

And what was CB's plan? He pointedly refused to give cash for technologies, even at rock bottom prices. Was it simply to try and rush the United Nations?

DanDridge, why in the the last few turns did you always log in to watch the timer go onto the next turn?:confused:

Finally, I echo thanks to GiantGuineaPig even though his Civilisation was destroyed early on:goodjob: Perhaps a new game can now be started (I just tried logging in by can't get past 'Connected to host').

...And obviously thanks to Wing Wah for only destroying one of my cities :p !
:lol:
LOL, yeah, that was funny and a real cardinal mistake of him. He didn't ever finish the job. That was good.:lol:

...In particular, Wing Wah told me someone paid him to send his Cavalry into my territory for reconnaissance - is this true or was it just a ploy to make me think he wasn't going to attack me?

I don't think anyone was paying him, but he may refer to me, since I warned him very early of your culture victory plan and I told him that I would attack you. I really would have attacked you myself, but Wing became too powerful (with the help of PMB) and I had to change my plan on the fly. I knew Wing would have to attack you by himself if he would like to win. So I let him do the dirty work.

...I assume PMB was helping Wing Wah most of the game, but I can't quite understand exactly what he got out of it.

Right. PMB was just a loyal servant for Wing. He had no real credible agenda by himself. Because Permanent Alliances were not possible, PMB was just helping Wing, nothing else. And in my opinion that was causing large unbalance to the game, since PMB was producing so much gold. I knew this and I think my biggest mistake was that I didn't attack PMB earlier. When I did it was already too late. The balance of powers was already gone.

...DanDridge, why in the the last few turns did you always log in to watch the timer go onto the next turn?:confused:

Well, Wing was pillaging my Oil, Aluminum, etc all the time. And because he moved after me I couldn't have ever produced a single Oil / Aluminum based unit if I hadn't fixed my wells and mines in the last seconds of the turn. During some turns both Wing and me were logged in and tried to pillage and fix things in the last second of the turn. All that was just a ridiculous side effect of the Pitboss game mechanics.

BTW some fun was lost by this sudden end of the game:cry: . I was just during this turn starting the final major hit against Wing. My plan was to strike with all the forces I got against Kyoto / Osaka before Wing would have got the Spaceship Victory and then make a massive sudden nuclear strike after the ordinary troops had been used.

Good game. I'm suprised I didn't get attacked more... I spent most of the time feeling like a prime target that was being barely overlooked.

One reason I like to hoard money is that it's an incentive for others not to attack. If someone has that much money, then you don't know what there defence units might be when you finally get to their cities ;)

Mostly, however, I like to hoard money just to have it. Not rational, but little of life is :)

Haha, well done Drib. I remember a comment from you along the lines of, 'i'm not playing anymore as i have no chance of winning'. Now I'm wondering if that wasn't part of the subterfuge!

At the time I had cavalry in Drib's land, I was assuming Dan was going to attack. And possibly Agemo. I don't think anyone paid me though. There was a lot of diplomacy going on at the time. Of course I eventually had to do it myself as it became clear Dan was only building up to take me down while I was weak. It wasn't easy either - if I hadn't had bombers then I couldn't have destroyed Lyons. By that time I think Dan had attacked PMB, so I decided not to linger in France, in order to start a preemptive strike on Dan. At least I *think* that was the order of events. It was a long time ago...

PMB and I had a mutual alliance since near the beginning of the game, when he was at war with HAK and I with Thrar. We had a kind of free trade on technologies, but we were mostly even one-for-one for most of the game. portuga eventually came in (just before he left) and made it a 3-way free trade, but then he left and Agemo wasn't so accomodating :( Other than that, we shared knowledge of other players and their alliances, and later in the war with Dan I upgraded some of his cavalry to gunships (I had oil, and he paid for it). If he reads this maybe he can chip in, but it was a fairly equal alliance - there were no gifts on either side. My GNP graph may have been low but the truth is my research rate was greater than his during the end of the game - I know this because when we were trying to arrange who would research what (around the time of Combustion), my rates were faster.

That last turn was fun though - got to destroy a stack of about 25-30 units from Agemo :D I know Dan was building Manhattan Project (I would have finished my spaceship before you finished it though, unless you had GE's), but I had no idea about your plan to move against Kyoto. Kyoto had a fairly good cultural buffer zone though, and pretty much my whole army was within a turn of reaching it (mostly in Rome, Salamanca, and Tokyo), not to mention all my bombers were in range - I don't think a strike there would have taken any territory.

Actually now that I think about it, I remember there was some deception with whatever it is I said to Drib - sorry, can't remember the details :) I seem to recall GenSeed about to join in against Drib, but then he went on holiday... I think.

Oh yeah, who had spies? I know Dan had a horde of them at one point converging on my oil... I kept one on my oil always after that. Near the end of the game I also had 1 in Gao, 1 in the city north of Gao, and 1 in Barcelona I think it was. The American city with the Silver/Dye/Banana, anyway.

Oh yeah, who had spies? I know Dan had a horde of them at one point converging on my oil... I kept one on my oil always after that. Near the end of the game I also had 1 in Gao, 1 in the city north of Gao, and 1 in Barcelona I think it was. The American city with the Silver/Dye/Banana, anyway.

I had one spy just because I had never had one before, and I wanted to see what they did, and that city had nothing better to do. I wasn't being destroyed, but I knew I was not winning. After the spy succesfully walked into and around Wing Wah's territory, I sat her down on one of your cities, and never looked at her again.

Oh yeah, I was playing the **** out of anyone I could! haha!

I had WingWah thinking I was helping him attack Drib.

I had Drib thinking I was protecting him from WingWah.

I had Dan thinking I was going to attack Drib, and that we were allied against an axis of evil being Agemo, PMB and WingWah.

I was chatting with PMB quite regularly on MSN (congrats on baby Adriana)

I was giving someone heaps of free techs just for the hell of it.

PMB is the most loyal person you can ever have in an alliance, and I knew he was allied with WingWah so I didn't bother trying to turn him.

I knew I needed oil from Agemo to stay in the game, but got pounded by him. So I backed off big time.

Eventually my best bet looked like sticking with Drib, but making it look like I wasn't to Dan or WingWah. I knew that Dan or WingWah weren't really able to help me out, as they had each other to worry about. He offered me a few promises and I figured he was the most likely to actually follow through.

I wish I had been able to stay in the game, sounds like I would have ended up with a good score. But my HDD died and I just really didn't have the room to put CIV back on. I get my new HDD soon tho, so hopefully I can play in another PTBS game with some of you again.

Well done Drib, I thought you'd get smashed before you got to that cultural victory. I wish I could have helped you more, but I think I did help you quite sufficiently while I was in the game!

That last turn was fun though - got to destroy a stack of about 25-30 units from Agemo :D I know Dan was building Manhattan Project (I would have finished my spaceship before you finished it though, unless you had GE's), but I had no idea about your plan to move against Kyoto. Kyoto had a fairly good cultural buffer zone though, and pretty much my whole army was within a turn of reaching it (mostly in Rome, Salamanca, and Tokyo), not to mention all my bombers were in range - I don't think a strike there would have taken any territory.

I know it wasn't sure if I could take down Kyoto. But just the previous turn before the end of the game I had built a railroad through Moose's lands. It made possible that I now could have moved most of my units straight to the forests and a forest hill that were located 2 squares north of Kyoto. I had also moved most of my Stealth Bombers/Fighters to Moose's cities.

I was also moving some units to the other side of Wing's lands to be ready to cut out his Uranium resource. It's true that I should have started building the Manhattan Project earlier, but I really needed every city for producing units. The pressure was so hard by Wing (and PMB too in the earlier phase). During many turns I had to destroy crazy amount of units on my territory. If Agemo hadn't helped me by providing extra units for me I could have fallen for good. (Thank you Agemo:goodjob: !) In fact I would have helped Agemo win the game if we had succeeded in taking Wing down.

Sounds like there really was a lot going on 'behind the scenes'. At one point I was getting really paranoid, and then I thought maybe nobody was talking to each other at all!

I'm glad to hear from you GenSeed. I was never completely certain our deals were going to work out because I had suspicions you may be in league with Wing Wah or Agemo. Now it seems you weren't sure either! :lol: It would have been interesting what would have happened if you'd stayed in the game since even you don't seem to know what you would have done!

Wing Wah - yeah, there was a bit of subterfuge in there. Actually, at the point I made that comment I honestly thought I was out of it, but the next turn I did some calculations and realised I could still get a third city up to Legendry within the turn limit. Obviously though, I did nothing to try and dissuade anyone from thinking I was out of it:mischief:

Unfortunately, my first GP was a prophet. I gifted it (and most of my resources) to Dan for several reasons:
I thought he might attack me and I wanted him to believe I was helping him.
I really was helping him because if he lost to Wing Wah, I'd probably be next once my plan was noticed.
I thought he might be 'friends' with Agemo who I was also scared might attack me at any moment.
Wing Wah had decided to declare war on me which scared the hell out of me. I agonised over trying to hide the 3 Great Artists I had at the time to ensure he couldn't actually see them. Fortunately he only wanted to pillage my resources so I couldn't give them to Dan!

Oh and spies - nope, never built them. I was too busy building as many units as I could in order to last one or two extra turns in case someone attacked

One thing that was interesting in this Fantacy Realm map was the scarcity of certain key resources. It was not very balanced, but it brought nice variety to the game.

I for example had to manage both without Horses and Iron. I was afraid when Wing Wah got Cavalry and I didn't have even Pikemen. Maybe only Wing Wah had all key resources at his disposal?

GenSeed: I think you win the award for most flip flops. At one point I even made a post about it saying nothing you did made sense :p

I guess CB should get an award for being most neutral throughout the whole game :lol:

Wing Wah had decided to declare war on me which scared the hell out of me. I agonised over trying to hide the 3 Great Artists I had at the time to ensure he couldn't actually see them. Fortunately he only wanted to pillage my resources so I couldn't give them to Dan!

I remember thinking why is drib so anxious for peace? I've only got 1 gunship there. I even knew Bangalore was climbing in culture, but didn't think about it - too busy with more local issues which were taking up a lot of time already...

Yeah, I wasn't missing any key resources. 1 of 2 uranium sources on the map happened to fall under kuningas' territory, coal and oil under Thrar's. I had aluminium and iron everywhere though.

At the time I had cavalry I knew I could walk over any neighbour I wanted - at that point I wasn't thinking of victory of any kind, and I'd been at war for a long time with Thrar just before. So I went for peace for a while, then decided to move against kuningas (we never traded anything, and his territory was nicely adjacent to mine).

DanDRidge said:
If Agemo hadn't helped me by providing extra units for me I could have fallen for good. (Thank you Agemo !) In fact I would have helped Agemo win the game if we had succeeded in taking Wing down.

Yeah, I noticed that. I knew Agemo had lots of cavalry, then suddenly you had lots of gunships. Is that right?

Yeah, I noticed that. I knew Agemo had lots of cavalry, then suddenly you had lots of gunships. Is that right?

If I remember right I didn't get Cavalry from Agemo. It was mostly Tanks and Bombers I think. I also had to put lots of gold for buying units, since my production was so low compared to yours.

Yeah WingWah had EVERY resource. It was so damn annoying. As soon as I knew I didn't have oil I went for broke against Agemo.. and ended up broke!

My plan to make me look like a loony that had no clue what was going on appears to have worked perfectly. Half of it was more than likely due to the fact that this was my first PTBS game and I don't have much multiplayer experience. I don't think I would have lasted if WingWah knew how much diplomacy I was working on behind the scenes.

Mind you my biggest mistake was allying with HitAnyKey at a crucial point. He ended up leaving me out in the cold so that he could take a city that I took. It would have been much smarter to ally with PMB.

Top Bottom