[GS] Giant's Causeway Buff Loss (Not a Bug)

Tyroq

Warlord
So I did a quick search of the forum but didn't see anyone mention this. I just discovered the other day that the buff from Giant's Causeway seems to disappear whenever I upgrade a unit. Then I have to go back and get it again. That's really annoying and inconvenient and largely kills the usefulness of the wonder over the long term, since it's only usable for a temporary period, and as soon as units upgrade it's gone. Is this a bug, or working as intended?

It's not a bug, unfortunately, but the way unit abilities are coded to work. The reason unit effects like 'Spear of Fionn' from the base game disappear is because they are classified as an ability that is only applied to a single unit. When you upgrade that unit the game treats it as an entirely new one (i.e. the previous unit is deleted and the upgraded unit is created), so it loses the ability. Same thing would apply to Matterhorn; bonus unit experience from Barracks, Armory, etc.; and other similar abilities like with UU's.

=_= it's so less useful to build Barrack in ancient/classical era, as the bonus exp disappears upon unit upgrade?

Yep. May still make sense to build barracks for the resource stockpile boost (and maybe the additional GG point), but the XP boost is only for the unit you build (or buy), not the upgraded unit. In the case of the Mongolian Ordu, on upgrade you lose both the XP boost and the movement bonus (a double whammy).

Top Bottom