Gladiator Arena Scenario

Pounder

Phaethon was here
So far it is just a thought.

You are a Dominus against 30 other Dominus', along with hordes of Barbarians for distractions.

Your Gladiator school has brought all it's warriors to the event and start out in their holding cells (city that looks like a cage), Barbarians start in the middle of the arena.

The map is a great colosseum with an impassible wall circling it, I would make the map a good size.

31 Cages (one per Dominus), no units can capture a city. Actually maybe they should have the capture flag on and maybe there should be no culture and no food so that cities always get razed and are replaced by broken gates.

It will be elimination by the Dominus' death (King Unit, and King Unit could be your Best Warrior). Mass regicide sounds like the way to go. All units will be king units.

It will be Victory Point scoring to ensure participation. Don't know if this is necessary with Mass Regicide selected.

Is it a good idea, if so please add your ideas to the scenario, I just thought of it this morning, maybe I'm missing something that would spoil this type of scenario.

I downloaded Goldfool's terrain buildings file and realized that I could make a preview with that file alone. The walls and holding cells would have to be made, I would use the landmark terrain files for the walls and the cities would just be a big holding cell.

The final arena would be shaped to be fair to all schools at the start of the game and would be much much larger, this is just a concept.

Sounds like an awesome idea man, I´ve been hoping someone would try something like this.

I was beginning to think I was the only one wondering about this.

Hoping someone has some ideas for the walls, there can be alot of detail because they can be pretty big, maybe some seating behind them:)

Hoping the cities (holding cages) can blend in with the walls of the colosseum.

Of course the individual wall pieces can't be round, but the overall coloseum can be virtually round.

I keep getting the Star Trek arena fight music stuck in my head.:crazyeye:

Completely have no idea how would it work but I'd like to play it! :)

Good idea pounder. I've often thought of doing similar things. Usually though with a sci-fi them but escentially they same way.

Some initial thoughts:

- How will units not being able to capture cities effect how the AI uses them?
- Having victory point locations (that could be invisible) might help spice up how the AI plays.
- If your having mulitple units for each civ then you could make them all King units and have the multi-regiside (or whatever it's called) on.
- The galdiator schools should have as much variety as possible to make it interesting. Some could have ranged weapons perhaps, although that wouldn't be very historically accurate, thrown nets aside.
- Is there anyway to turn off fog of war? If so that would help otherwise your units could only see the equivilent of a few meters in any direction which ruins the effect a bit.
- If it works then fantasy and sci-fi versions would be fun.
- Will the AI just move around all there forces in huge stacks of doom?
- There is no way to have all factions at war with each other right from the start other then for locked alliances all at war with each other so some factions may take ages to start fighting each other. That might be okay though. They might gang up on some factions, which again could be okay I guess.

- Is there anyway to turn off fog of war? If so that would help otherwise your units could only see the equivilent of a few meters in any direction which ruins the effect a bit.

Fog of War could represent obstacles strewn about the arena? If 1 terrain type is used for the walls, 1 for the impassable cage terrain (so it can't be captured) and 1 for the arena floor, that's still a lot of variety. So things such as hill/mountain visibility bonuses could be made use of. Plus units with radar, detect invisible and perhaps recon. FoW could also be explained as the gladiators having to focus on their immediate vicinity.

- There is no way to have all factions at war with each other right from the start other then for locked alliances all at war with each other so some factions may take ages to start fighting each other. That might be okay though. They might gang up on some factions, which again could be okay I guess.

All units could be hidden nationality, therefore all units will fight each other, because the AI just loves to fight HN units. :D

@nick0515

In scenario properties you can click the reveal entire map flag.

Units capturing cities isn't in stone, it was my initial thought and it might not work for the AI. Actually maybe they should have the capture flag on and maybe there should be no culture and no food so that cities always get razed and are replaced by broken gates.

Mass regicide sounds like the way to go.

@Virote_Considon

Hidden nationality is interesting, but I think I might want to see who I'm fighting.

+1 to Stico.
It's great to see Civ3 still has a possibility to be improved the way other people could never even imagine. It's a good Civ3 platform part, but it's most because of Civ3 community. :) Thank you, Pounder, for revealing great possibilities and providing new & fresh ideas in life!

But even if you reveal the entire map the fog of war is still on isn't it? If you don't want cities captured you can just do what Virote said and have them on impassable terrain. I'd forgotten about that but I did in a scenario once and it worked very well.

Re hidden nationality, if you switch on team colour disks does it show you what civ hidden nationality units belong to?

Excellent idea, Pounder!
Tridents!
Artifical lake sea battles!
Wild animals!

I keep getting the Star Trek arena fight music stuck in my head.:crazyeye:

Exciting music!

Mass regicide would be a great victory condition. Looking forward to seeing this in action.

Top Bottom