1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Warming...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by JediNg, May 8, 2006.

1. JediNg

JediNg Chieftain

Is there anyway to prevent, stop, or fix this problem? It kinda gets annoying when the year is at like 2500 AD :/

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

No, once it starts (from either a nuclear attack on someone or a nuclear plant melting down) it doesn't stop until the world is desert. (which combined with inflation effectively destroys all civs by between 5000 and a 10,000 AD... depending on game speed and difficulty level)

3. JediNg

JediNg Chieftain

booooo :(
    that spoils the fun

4. leo84

leo84 Chieftain

i guess its something we should all get used to

5. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

and it would take a VERY long time to get to 5,000 AD or 10,000 AD, and a very boring game.

6. JediNg

JediNg Chieftain

Well, I'm not just sitting there pressing enter to end every turn, hah. Trying to war and stuff..

7. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

yea, but once you get to the modern era, a turn is one year. I don't think a war would neccesarily last 5,000 years though in AD. on a huge map yea it might happen, but still....

8. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Chieftain

Answer that, and you'll get at least one Nobel prize.

If the oil company hitmen don't get to you first, that is :).

9. JediNg

JediNg Chieftain

Grrrr! haha
    :(

10. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

It is very easy to mod global warming and inflation out of the game.

To mod global warming out of the game, change the value of the variable GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB in the file GlobalDefines.xml from 20 to 0.
    To mod inflation out of the game, change the value of the variable iInflationPercent in the file CIV4GameSpeedInfo from whatever value it has to 0. Note that this variable is defined for each game speed and has to be edited for each game speed that you use.

It's better to preserve the original files and create a small mod or custom rules out of these changes.

11. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

Is there any way to increase the occurance of global warming in the game if the no nuke treaty has been passed?

I want to see my current game turn into a desert wasteland!

12. smjjames

smjjames Emperor

put nuclear reactors in all your cities and wait for some to have a meltdown. you could always add some fallout with the worldbuilder.

13. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

Or just enter world builder and nuke the hell out of the arctic and sea until you've got the desired effect.

In one of my games I fired about 150 nukes in the early 1800's, and by 1900 almost the whole world was desert.

14. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

I'll be having some fun tonight :satan:

15. jimbob27

jimbob27 Emperor

Giant raven...

Make sure you've got both nationalism and slavery civics enabled. When you're populations start dropping, you can convert the citizens into soldiers, and use them to attack you enemies when they're trying desperately to save their empire.

I've become quite an expert in "surviving" the apocalypse.... what with me being the dirty nuker I am :D

16. GiantRaven

GiantRaven Prince

Ah, I started getting loads of global warming around me but I was lucky to have a majority of water tiles around me :p

Unfortunately, the AI won a cultural victory and I can never be bothered to continue after someone wins :p