Godotnut's Guide to Totally Peaceful Deity Cultural Victory

I'm trying his out, several issues I am haivng:

1) Wow, you get techs slow at the beginning. I find I dont have time right away to get Masonry and hook up the stone, and I'm not really ready to build the pyramids any want to get way. I am trying it as Elizabeth, but starting with fishing sucks (on Pangea), it would be really nice to start with two of the techs I need (Agriculture, The Wheel, Mining).

I'm considering playing it as Mansa Musa. How critical is philosophical? Spiritual seems useful also, and getting the wheel to start means less research needed before hooking up the stone.

2) Barbarians are being a pain. Early archers. I am used to playing on small maps, and switching to normal for this is making the barbs much worse. The 1 warrior per city I am having isnt cutting it with these archers coming around shortly before 2000BC. How do you get away with just having warriors? Do I need to move them outside my city borders to fogbust (and then how do I deal with happiness). I have considered just turning them off, but it feels like cheating.

3) Its really difficult to find time to make the pyramids, while also expanding. What time do you target for the completion of the pyramids? I was finding that I have basically no chance for any other wonders, but Pyramids were being possible a bit later. They are so expsensive that the AI seems to go for them later, they get stonehenge/great wall/oracle really fast but not pyramids. (Playing with 5 opponents).

4) What time period do you hit Liberalism? I got it in the 600ADs on my first try on Immortal difficulty. At that point I had just started building temples, I can definitely see why going Universal suffrage, 100% gold and buying temples is a good idea.

At last. My first cultural victory at deity. If it wasnt for this thread i probably would never made it.
:cheers:

So I've played Civ since #1 like most people on this website, and have never won a cultural victory on deity without cheating on #4, so I was fascinated by this thread. I'm having trouble winning though.

I'm playing with what appears to be vanilla (I didn't realize there was a difference), tech tree: writing>alphabet>mathmatics or literature. Elizabeth, normal speed, no barbarians, the rest organic settings. Why do u guys play marathon? Is there an advantage? I understand it for warmongering but not for peace.

I have no problem building the pyramids or getting my cities up or keeping the peace (I can actually get 9 cities if I want but it ruins my economy). My problem is being able to tech to things like liberalism, nationalism, philosophy, and printing press. I followed the guide and pretty much ignored the need for luxury resources, and only had wine (I'm thinking this is the problem). Health resources, wheat, corn, deer(after expansion), cow, and clam.

I found a map that I liked and saved it (stone, capital, city 2, cow, and corn on same river). I have since played it through 3 times and have lost everytime. I can't seem to get my culture cities above 10-11 and my marginals above 6-7. I'm not tarded, I know what I'm doing, but they just tech so damn fast that I'm only able to make trades with alphabet, theology to 1 or 2, paper, education, and liberalism to 1-3. I trade them right away after researching, is that my problem? If I wait I get less for them...

The closest I got was when I stopped teching after researching literature, drama, and music right after alphabet. I had my cities up to 17000/50000, gaining 300-400 per turn. The better I did the earlier they launched the ship. The last time was 1510!! They also keep voting for emancipation eliminating my GA factory around 1280-1350.

I'm getting the feeling that winning like this requires some very specific resources, an awesome capital, and also a lot of luck on trades and gifted techs. I think more luxuries would help because I do sacrifice population to build stuff (temples) early on instead of growing because of unhappiness. I know how to cottage spam, and micro-manage my cities. I'm thinking gold, gems or silver are necessary, and probably 2 of the three. Also fur, ivory, silk, whale, at least one of them.

How are you guys getting banking... I get nowhere near banking because I'm trading for things like mathmatics, literature, music, philosophy, civil service, CoL, currency.

I'm thinking tech trading off would actually be easier!!! Especially since turning off tech for gold so early on. I see people getting to corporation.... wtf....

Welcome to Civfanatics, Jayhawks :band::beer::banana:

We call Vanilla the original version of the game "Civilizations 4". Be sure to play with the latest patch. You can also be interested in playing with the HOF MOD, it doesn't change gameplay at all but it makes information more easily accesible.

Then you can buy the game expansions, called "Warlords" and "Beyond the Sword" (or simply "BTS").

9 cities: Don't get all of them at the same time or maintenance will kill your economy. A quite standard expansion rate would be 4 cities at 1000BC, 6 cities at 1AD.

Happyness resources: They are all-important at the beginning of the game! You need your cities to grow to work more tiles, you don't want to be constrained by the happyness limit. It is true that, at the end of the game, you don't need them because you have raised the cultural slider. But don't neglect them in the beginning!

300-400cpt when your cultural slider is at 100% is too low. You are aiming at something like 800, 800 and 600 culture per turn in your 3 cities. You need to get more cultural multipliers: liberalism allows FS which adds +100% in all your cities and if you get there first you can choose Nationalism as your free tech, building the Hermitage which adds another +100% to one of your cities.

You are right that tech trading is the key to winning Deity games. They simply research too fast, so your only hope is to use their research capability in your favour. Try to learn which techs they are less likely to research and research those yourself, instead of the ones you really need. I think that with tech trading off it would be almost impossible to win a cultural Deity game.

As for your difficulties with research, it is hard to give a good advice without more information.

- Have you ever played a spaceship game to completion?

- You get an early Academy in your capital, don't you?

- You addopt Bureaucracy as soon as you can, don't you?

- You have your capital heavily cottaged, don't you?

Finally, and I am getting a bit personal here, why can't you win a Deity cultural game? Hmm, hard to tell, but...

- Why play on Deity? Deity is really hard. You don't need a wonderful map to be able to win on Deity, but there are some particular Deity maps that nobody is able to win. It could be a good idea to first win a Cultural Emperor game, then win a Cultural Emperor game before 1600AD, then try for Deity.

- You seem to need to improve your research capabilities. Why don't you try to play a random Emperor game. Don't complete it, just play till 1AD, your goal is to be doing 200 or 250bpt at 1AD.

- Reading about other people games can throw some light into a big defect in your gameplay you didn't now you had. Why don't you try participating in HOF gauntlets or in GOTM games?

- You might be interested in reading about other ways (without Pyramids) of winning a Deity cultural game. This thread here might be of interest :blush:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=298093

I hope this helps, good luck.

Well, I beat Immortal on my second try with a score of 34887 in 1802. The first time I had Louis and he caused problems, invasion/demands, so I swapped him with Asoka. I'm not thrilled with my performance because the computer was pretty close to launching the ship and my map was about as good as it gets. That and I cheated at the very beginning by looking at the map to see if it was playable (now I wish I hadn't). I'm just so used to it from all the deity domination victories I usually play, where I hate wasting 10-20hrs if I don't end up with oil and aluminium. Although, with Immortal the resources and layout were plentiful both times I played, probably the difficulty level.

It was v1.61 cuz 1.74 won't work for some reason. Someone said "1.74 nerfed chopping," so I assume 1.61 is easier which is also a disappointment cuz it cheapens the win in my mind. Other settings> vanilla: balanced, normal, small, ancient, elizabeth, 4AI, low, temperate.

I was surprised at how much fun it was to win a cultural victory on immortal. At first I thought I would destroy it at the pace I was going, but then the computer stopped trading with me because "they were afraid I was getting too advanced." Soooo much more to think about and calculate than domination. With domination victories I can setup build queues etc. and more or less fly through the game harldy opening the city screen. Not with a cultural win. I looked in every city almost every turn, constantly juggling. My TI-83 got some serious use towards the end of the game when I couldn't do it all in my head. I can easily see how people go overboard to literally plan and calculate everything to get on the HOF list, just because that's probably what it takes.

Next stop, cultural win on deity. I need to learn some more about cultural wins and proper teching though, but I'm slowly starting to learn the proper lines to take. Oh yeah, how in the world are you guys building wonders AND properly attending to your cities growth? I only built one wonder, the taj mahal, and that was on immortal. R u using GEs? Also, by not choosing a state religion to keep my neighbors happy I did't get the pacifism bonus... Is there a way to switch religions freely other than when a new religion spreads in one of your cities? I've looked around and haven't found it...

Congratulations!

I also enjoy the planning of a cultural game more than any other feature of any other VC.

To change religions anytime you go to F7 screen and click on the icons at the top.

Hi all, this guide works great in all respects except that when I play on deity I always get attacked by another civ sometime between 1000bc and 0. What strategies help you maintain the peace on deity? Again, awesome strat.

To maintain the peace on Deity, the easiest stat is to simply choose all peacemonger opponents (Mansa, Gandhi, Asorka, Hatty, etc.). In addition, you want to develop a tech lead so that you can trade--or give--lower techs for the "you shared your technology bonus with us" diplo points. There are other tricks too: open borders ASAP, trading or giving away resources you don't need for that diplo bonus, etc. If this advice isn't enough, check out one of the guides for diplo games and apply what you learn their about diplo bonuses to the cultural game.

Top Bottom