Going for Gold: Units

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wasn't there a way to make the XP only occur once per turn?

It would be possible to make logistics have all tier 4 promotions as prereqs, so you can unlock logistics at level 5, pushing it back a level...

I like allowing all ranged promotion lines access to Logistics. As it is, I'm deciding my promotion line based on which one has Logistics.

I see the point for ships.

But ranged land units have fairly balanced lines: for archer-type, it makes sense to have some go for Logistics and some go for Range to maximize attack potential.
For siege-type, I've started going through the path that unlocks both. It's harder at first (the other line provides the more relevant bonus vs cities) but more rewarding after - so it's not a bad trade-off, though it could perhaps use another look.

Or just throwing it out there...we remove it. Seems like its always been a constant source of trouble.

I'm open to this. It asks for too much attention, and human probably benefits more than AI would from it anyways.

I'm opposed to removing logistics for the simple fact that it's a fun promotion. If you move it back to level 5 somehow, or nerf the RCS more then fine, but I just really like having it.

I absolutely agree with others that, since Range isn't there to counterbalance the other side of the tree, people will feel forced to go down whichever promotion path has logistics at the end of it. So just put Logistics at the end of both trees.

Don't forget that this is a game, and that games are fun because they have fun things in them like highly promoted warships laying smackdowns :D

So just put Logistics at the end of both trees.

I think this is a good suggestion. If logistics remains a super strong, always take in the hands of the human, so be it. But at least it doesn't imbalance any one tree by its presence. Each tree should stand on its own without some super bonus at the end of the rainbow.

I think this is a good suggestion. If logistics remains a super strong, always take in the hands of the human, so be it. But at least it doesn't imbalance any one tree by its presence. Each tree should stand on its own without some super bonus at the end of the rainbow.

PineappleDan you have a point about funness, so yeah let's not be rid of it.

I think at the end of both trees is too early though. Level 4 is just TOO early - it pretty much negates all the other options because it's too darned good. I'd rather this be *the* promotion you earn after tons of effort and managing to get your unit to Level 8, then it is bestowed ownage rights. Before that, promotions should be strictly strategic.

It might make sense to nerf the exp gain at least. The two attacks aren't THAT over kill when they come with the reduced damage and essentially cost an extra point of movement but the exp gain kind of puts it over the top into OP land.

As I have said before, you can make logistics a level 5 unlock with existing code. You can’t make it a lvl 6+ unlock with existing code. Pushing it back 1 level is enough imo.

It would also be trivial to introduce a promotion attribute that checked for unit level for availability. @civplayer33 might kill me, though, as that would break the conditional logic in his promo viewer.

G
I'm still not convinced that having logistic at unit level x is a good idea. We'd have to give to one tree another level 3 promotion. But if we let logistics to be available at Accuracy IV, Barrage will still be the tree to go if we want to reach logistics faster.
Also, don't forget that extra range is also amazing. Units with extra range are firing every turn without risk.

I had understood the discussion about logistics is only concerning the naval ranged tree. For ground ranged units, the existence of Range offsets logistics, but there is no answer for naval units, who have their range locked at 1 until battleships

The archer/siege promotion lines are fine; don't touch them

I had understood the discussion about logistics is only concerning the naval ranged tree. For ground ranged units, the existence of Range offsets logistics, but there is no answer for naval units, who have their range locked at 1 until battleships

The archer/siege promotion lines are fine; don't touch them

I agree with this. Ground ranged units are in a good spot, the various promotions are all roughly equally useful. Naval battles are far more one-dimensional though, and it would be hard to make something good enough to compete with Logistics and not be OP.

For naval ranged units, can we try something where, if you take Targeting line, you get a malus against Cities and, if you take Bombardment line, you get a malus against units? Logistics can remain where it is and, while it will let you clear enemy units faster, the ship's contribution to taking cities will be minimal. Essentially, you'll want some combination of both lines to really dominate the seas and win wars. For me, the proportion seems to lean towards Targeting for Logistics alone.

For instance, Targeting I can be:

+10% vs Naval and Land Units. +10% vs Units at or below 50 HP, -10% vs Cities

and Bombardment I can be:

+5% , +20% vs Cities, -5% vs Naval and Land Units

For naval ranged units, can we try something where, if you take Targeting line, you get a malus against Cities and, if you take Bombardment line, you get a malus against units? Logistics can remain where it is and, while it will let you clear enemy units faster, the ship's contribution to taking cities will be minimal. Essentially, you'll want some combination of both lines to really dominate the seas and win wars. For me, the proportion seems to lean towards Targeting for Logistics alone.

Ew. No

Not AI friendly, sorry.

Top Bottom