Good Tacticians, Bad Quotes

bioelectricclam

Warlord
This is probably off-topic so forgive me, but I'm just looking for some inspirational quotes for my inner warmonger. Namely, post some quotes that you think give bad advice for warmongering. The goal is to amuse me :D , and to see who can come up with the most interesting quotes. And if possible, try to pick quotes from real-world generals and leaders.

Anyways, mine is sort of lame so forgive me:
"The best defense is a good offense." -????
Yeah, I can come up with many reasons why the exact opposite is true.

Anyways, post some quotes.

The good `ol military advisuor from civ 3 had some beauties

"good ? bad ? you`re the one with the nukes"

and my fave. "with a bigger army we can achieve ALL our goals"

I always thought that Frederick the Great could have used some lessons on the value of morale boosting and tactical initiative. "The soldier must be more afraid of his officers than of the dangers to which he is exposed," and "If my soldiers were to begin to think, not one would remain in the ranks."

It just seems to me that history has produced more effective rallying cries than "Go out there and get shot or I'll shoot you."

Then, of course, there are the awe-inspiring last words of General John Sedgwick:

"What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

You can probably guess why these were his LAST words.

Anyways, mine is sort of lame so forgive me:
"The best defense is a good offense." -????
Yeah, I can come up with many reasons why the exact opposite is true.

A well launched, well co-ordinated suprise attack can be a more effective way of winning a war then letting the AI attack your cities. In general, its better to fight in their territory than yours, even if you have extra WW and more supply costs, because it means that you won't get pillaged.

i like that napoleon quote that he'd rather have a lucky general than a good general or something like that.
And there is the, "any ship labled unsinkable will sink and any defensive fortification labled untakeable will fall." glorious me

"The solution to Iraq -- an Iraq that can govern itself, sustain itself and defend itself -- is more than a military mission. Precisely the reason why I sent more troops into Baghdad." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 3, 2007 :eek:

Pretty much anything by Patton, I'd say.

“War is simple, direct, and ruthless.”

“In case of doubt, attack.”

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

“Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.”

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”

"A million of them against only 300 of them? Bring them back to me alive before lunch."

"Bah! Those Indians are only savages, we can win this battle without having to wait for reinforcements."

"I know! Why don't we attack Russia?"

"It's a disagreeable thing to be whipped."
-Sherman

Clearly he's never had sacrificial alters, surplus food, and Shaka on his doorstep.

Pretty much anything by Patton, I'd say.

“War is simple, direct, and ruthless.”

“In case of doubt, attack.”

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

“Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity.”

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.”

You forgot one of his most famous quotes:

"No poor, dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country."

We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have now done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing. - Navy

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

An army marches on its stomach.

Not in Civ they don't. Spend a 1000 years lost in the jungle or desert and reappear as fresh as a daisy.

Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets.

Forget Rifling, beeline Printing Press!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

One must change one's tactics every ten years if one wishes to maintain one's superiority.

Never played Civ did he.

The quotes are from Napoleon.

We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have now done so much for so long with so little, we are now capable of doing anything with nothing. - Navy

British Navy?

Top Bottom