Gorgo culture rush questions.

Hi Victoria, so I tried the ICS stratagy, vs only founding 5 cities and I didn't notice too much of a difference, it still took me over 350 turns to win a culture victory in both instances. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. I'll test it again and let you know the results.

Hi Victoria, so I tried the ICS stratagy, vs only founding 5 cities and I didn't notice too much of a difference, it still took me over 350 turns to win a culture victory in both instances. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I'm pretty sure I did something wrong. I'll test it again and let you know the results.

So the thing is, the longer you do not get tourism, the harder it is to win. Also the value of tourism, seaside resorts are the best value tourism so try and have some beach space ready when beelining computers.

What level are you playing on?

The strategy should be to get 3 slingers and a monument out early. I would not worry about scouts or builders first as you want to ignore craftsmanship and go straight for theatres. On the way settlers are important to pump out so you get the cities for the theatres. As soon as you can build them at least start building them. Along the way you may face issues like barbs and civs and they have to be dealt with as efficiently as possible but if on Prince/king it is possible, it just depends on level. Then commercial and then campus districts. Cultural victories are not about production or gold primarily. They are about getting culture speed up and racing along the top level of the tree. The best way to do this is get early great writers. If you want to push a very early victory rushing printing as well but leave that for the mo.
Maybe I should record one to help give you an idea.
You need to avoid anything unnecessary, no wonders..... once you have got to archaeologists make sure you fill them museums fast and the concentrate all your energy on going to computers via seaside resorts.

Victoria, it certainly *seemed* faster, but I don't have enough late games to compare well (going hard science first). I do know I had Nan Madol (and Stockholm, both uncontested), and even though I only had [edit] 2 coastal core cities, it still helped a lot. I beelined Printing as well early, which is why I felt I was going to win much earlier. By really focusing on culture buildings, I never had a GW waiting. I did finally house 2 GAs in 2 late seaside bought Museums, and was just about to start finishing Broadcast Stations in the core.

I just could not win without Computers on Emperor. Maybe on Prince or King with a great map like I had?

Maybe I should record one to help give you an idea.

I would love to see a video of how you approach a culture victory.

It always seems to be very slow for me. Seems like I'm just pressing next turn while waiting for Eiffel and Cristo to complete. I must be setting up the initial phase wrong. I've been finishing in the 270 range.

Immortal or deity they are just too tough tough now without taking the agressive route or needing computers.

I've never done a recording, going to have to find some quiet time... 3 teenagers and half term currently.
What's a good free recording package?

So I guess Gorgo but what difficulty level?

Immortal or deity they are just too tough tough now without taking the agressive route or needing computers.

I've never done a recording, going to have to find some quiet time... 3 teenagers and half term currently.
What's a good free recording package?

So I guess Gorgo but what difficulty level?

When do you usually hit computers? Ive been considering t200 a good aim.

Sounds good to me

Kicked off a Gorgo emperor standard game tonight.

5 cities by turn 45, acropolis in all of them by turn 60. I am currently at turn 89 with 3 great writers got and just finished Humanism for my museums. 3 turns off my second library and 8 turns off my third campus and should make printing around turn 105 by which time I will have 64 tourism and I have no relic. I am also 1 turn off my second commercial hub.

This is a perfect example game of how you concentrate your efforts.

EDIT: hit computers at T177 game over @205 but I had to go to war with Teddy near the end as his culture gains at +150 were going to make a longer boring game otherwise. It definitely would have been a faster game with 8 cities, I just forced myself to stay at 5, I only realised now as Emperor it should have been 6, I took out Vicky very early with an archer rush so 2 cities had 6 slot museums, My tourism at the end was 605.
Only 5 trade routes but 42 envoys made up for it, merchant confederation is a great card.

Last edited:
So is Gorgo the best civ for a culture victory? Would Victoria or France be faster under the same circumstances?
I finished a Gorgo game on Emperor and won at turn 267 with 7 cities. I felt as if the science output became very important. But getting to the policy cards that gave more tourism for trade routes speeded up the victory significantly at the end, I think.

Aroung the 250 mark on Emperor shows you are a competent CV player, the closer you get to 200 the more you are getting the grasp of a culture rush.

Gorgo is a good all round culture player but also a good rush player.
Teddy is much stronger on deity IMO, rushing there is not as strong.
Vick /peri can also rush but not as early as Gorgo.
Mvemba is really in a league of his own.

Reactions: liv
Playing another Gorgo rush tonight, this screen shows where you should be at... Turn 70 with 7 cities and note the acropolii being pushed in every city. About 8 cities and I stop ... the trouble currently is Cleo is not happy giving me no 8 but will ive me a relic to stop... so I'll take 8, sue for peace for the relic and hunker down and push culture like hell.
upload_2017-6-11_1-16-50.png

This is where I am up to on the civics tree, Only Gorgo can get this far this fast.. I pushed military training because someone was arguing in another thread that Gorgo has no benefits for building encampments... I have one and could have built one in every city instead of my acropolii if I wanted to stack generals and go for a dom game
upload_2017-6-11_1-19-52.png

Top Bottom