GOTM-04 Final spoiler - everything else!

I had some computer issues as well, but I went ahead and submitted it...not that it really matters, my loss is not likely to win me any great ranking or award

I'm not submitting a game, as I wanted to compare some different options. Finishing up my third game (peaceful strategies are fairly quick to play) currently.

The first game, I settled on the marble hill and hoped to pursue a wonder-chasing strategy to take advantage of Gandhi's traits, but I oversettled a bit (two cities on the east coast, one to snag the southern luxes and fish, one in the southwest tundra by the two seafood), and avoiding the early religions, lacked the happiness to grow my cities enough to snag wonder techs in time to build them first. Several near-misses did fund deficit research nicely, and I was able to develop good enough relations with Alex that he chose to fight west instead of east. Ended up having too much fun stealing Alex's tiles culturally, and fighting for my cultural life with Isabella (I put Ironworks on her continent, only to have the city be culture bombed continuously) to get an early launch date. The AI was also too backward tech-wise to help me much there, and I'm not a big fan of mass gifting.

The second game, I founded in place, managed to found Buddhism, and was able to convert the entire continent. Via mutual war with Isabella, I got a diplo win in1824. Would have been 1770ish, but some residual bad feeling from an early war kept Saladin from ever joining in the crusade against Isabella, and thus I had to work hard to earn his vote (favorite civic eventually put him over the top). Again peaceful with Alex, using ccommon religion/trade to build relations, joining him in an early war with Saladin, then stealing his tiles and eventually, cities, via culture.

The third game I finally decided to try war with Alex, and founded my capital on the copper tile in an attempt to control early distance maintenance expenses. Second city three tiles to southeast (in reach of cow and clams), third on tundra by the horse, using deer to grow and reaching fur. Capital spammed axes while seafood cities continued settlers for a silver/fish city in far south, cow/fish in northeast, and fish/crab in southwest. Flipped Alex's second city by my capital, and conquered Athens with 8 axes. All these cities really slowed down tech, but I now have the lead and all Alex's lands. Will probably end up with about the same result as the first game.

Redbad said:
Can anyone think of a reason why this could occur?

It looks to me as if Nottingham has a higher cultural value than Sparta. The tile in question is two tiles from Sparta and 3 tiles from Nottingham, yet Nottingham is winning the cultural battle for that tile. The tile to the south is 4 tiles from Nottingham and not subject to as much English culture. The more interesting tile to the north (the forested plains hill) is actually being influenced by two of your cities (Sparta and Corinth). The added culture from Corinth is enough to turn the tide in your favor.

Answer to the Redbads culture border question.
Based on the logic that culture adds up a square while within possible cultural border of a city.

W W W of Nottingham.
Within 40% cultural border of Nottingham
Within 60% cultural border of Corinth
Within 20% Cultural border of Sparta

SW W W of Nottingham.
Within 40% cultural border of Nottingham
Within 80% cultural border of Corinth

SW SW W of Nottingham.
Within 60% cultural border of Nottingham
Within 80%? cultural border of Corinth

As above-
The square SW W W is the only square within 40% border of Nottingham and away from the 60% border of Corinth, allowing Viki to win the cultural war for that square but not for the other 2.
I think this is how it works but i am not sure.

I finished a contender?(1 settler) game. I won a cultural victory at 1923, it was poorly executed :p But Im happy, it was my first Emperor game (and thus victory) and last months game was my first monarch victory.
Im suprised that I got so many wonders, the great libary, lighthouse, colossus, and some more. I only built 3 cities, but soon captured 3 more from Alex. That Enabled me to have 2 cathedrals of each ( had 4 religions spread in my country). Dehli pushed enough culture from wonders and being a GPfarm.

Was this an easy game compared to a standard Emperor?

So, as I mentioned in the previous spoiler thread, I've been having a second unsubmissible go at the GOTM as a learning experience to see what I should have done. As I've done so I've come to a slightly worrying conclusion - the bonus to be gained from spoiler knowledge is absolutely enormous -- the difference between being conquered (my first go) and trouncing the AI (my unsubmissable replay so far). Worse, I can't see how it is detectable in any way in the game: the decisions I made with pre-knowledge still make sense without it, and none of them - not even in combination - could you point to and say "that action shows you had pre-knowledge of the game".

Perhaps some of it is simply the difference between my first go on emperor and my second go on emperor, but can someone please rush along and reassure me we haven't left the door wide open for cheating of this kind?

I would say, while you don't remember what you read outright, you've gleaned some strategy that works better from these spoilers, and you've incorporated them into your overall plan.

Finished in about 1820 with a Domination victory having covered the home continent and invaded hatty. Scored roughly 77000.

Was going well but faltered towards the end and crawled over the finish line. Will write up next week when i get time.

whb said:
As I've done so I've come to a slightly worrying conclusion - the bonus to be gained from spoiler knowledge is absolutely enormous -- the difference between being conquered (my first go) and trouncing the AI (my unsubmissable replay so far). Worse, I can't see how it is detectable in any way in the game: the decisions I made with pre-knowledge still make sense without it, and none of them - not even in combination - could you point to and say "that action shows you had pre-knowledge of the game".

Perhaps some of it is simply the difference between my first go on emperor and my second go on emperor, but can someone please rush along and reassure me we haven't left the door wide open for cheating of this kind?

Wether this is a problem depends on how you use the game. I do not use these games as a competition and do not take the scores personally because I do not know who out there is cheating and who is simply a better player. I do find them very useful as a learning exprience, especialy when people explain in the posts why they made decisions and how they executed stratigies. It is more of a learning experience than a competition. If I wanted a fair contest, I would find some other format out there to play that does not allow discussion till after the game.

Ouch. That was a 15 minutes game.

My mistake was the following: Alexander took the grassland paradise west of Dehli (which seems also to contain copper and horse. I died too soon to discovered that). One of my warrior got close to his city, saw a worker, hesitated 5 minutes, and decided it was a good idea to take him. Of course, he died. The worker was brought back to Dehli and build a mine. But i couldn't make peace.

A couple of turn later, only two bowmen came to me. There were two warriors in dehli, i thought it was enough (i got a +40% culture defense, thx to stonehenge and oracle). It wasn't. Dehli was captured. Game over.

I was at the time running a bureaucraty and caste system (CS slingshot), and about to get Alphabet.

I fell somehow unlucky but a litlle bit stupid. cauz I think i shouldn't have gone for the cs slingshot. That's great, but maybe too much of a bet. At least, i should have realized that it was overdangerous to steal a worker AND to do the cs slingshot... But last month, i tried the map twice, and got a 122k score by doing this slingshot at my second attempt (that i didn't submit, of course). I felt this slingshot was the key to get a very high score. However, I don't think that 0 is one of these...

Well, that was quite an interesting game, although things kept going wrong for me almost non-stop, so i was surprised to last so long and actually come close to winning.

2ng GOTM, 1st Emperor game (although usually do ok on Monarch)

This is how it went:

Went Fishing->Poly->Mining->BW

Got Hindiusm and converted, as i was approaching the happiness limit in Delhi. This may've been a bad move, as this set off a cycle of hate towards me for the rest of the game.

Then in 3000BC or so (so early!!) Alex settled the spot i had my eye on, right between the 2 Marbles, and boxed me in! :mad: :mad: This has happened to lots of people i've noticed. At this stage i knew there was only one option, to take him out asap, so i built a few axes (thankfully delhi culture extended to grab teh copper by then), stole a worker and then took Sparta.

Soon after though both Louis and Isa declared war on me! argh! Louis didnt really show up much, but Isa landed a small force next to Delhi while i was busy with Alex and took it! grrr. I rushed a couple of axes back and took it back. For the next 4000 years or so she wouldnt declare peace, and we had a naval war outside Delhi that whole time.

I ended up taking out Alex with some help from Vicky and got most of his cities.

By this stage i was WOEFULLY behind in techs, at least 10 or so behind, and i didnt even have Alphabet yet. I knew this was going to be a very tricky one.

My only chance of winning was going to be cultural, so i beelined for Literature, and then Education and Liberalism (for Free Speech).
Since i was always behind in techs i never got to trade any, and in fact was so behind that Hatty rang me up twice to give me free techs! :crazyeye:

I spammed Vicky with Hindu missionaries and she converted, and was by best bud till the end. Saved me a few times in tight spots too, coz later both Sal and Louis declared on me, but Vicky came to my rescue and took them both out (although got quite powerful as a result).

I managed to get 4 religions into all my cities in the end (Hindu, Christianity, Islam and Judaism) thus was able to place 4 Cathedrals in each of my cultural centers.

Then something terrible happened, Isa landed a big force next to Delhi and took it! My #1 Cultural center and holy city! :mad: :mad:
Vicky came to the rescue and took it 2 turns later, and i spent the rest of the game trying to flip it back to me. It revolted 4 times but never flipped :(

Thankfully the game leaders, Vicky, Hatty and Isa were busy warring a lot of the game and wern't as quick to start the space race as they usually are. This gave me some extra time to go for my cultural win, and i thought i HAD IT, was ALMOST THERE, but Vicky managed to complete 2 last spaceship parts in 2 consecutive turns and won :( :( .

I was only 5 turns away from Cultural Win! :mad: :(

Here's 2 piccies, one of my smallish empire (9 cities), and 2nd is of my cultural stats.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002-2.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0002-2.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 193
My first GOTM. First game at emperor.

Gone for cultural victory. No war all game over. Converted to my religion (buddism) all the continent. I was expanding with cultural annessions of cities and going well.
Until 20th century, when Isabella (as usual when she is in the game) attacked me with a flood of cavalries and conquered all in less than 10 turns. None was willing to help me. It was like China against Tibet.

I have noticed that Isabella is almost always in my games, no matyter who I am, and she is always nasty. Same for Caterina. Bi***es.

I decided to go for challenger--what the hell. My cultural victory game is pretty solid, I told myself.

I decided to aim for one goal: win. Who cares about the score. Go for a lean, early cultural win.

Founding religions? Bah! Wars? Bah! I focused on two things: achieving maximum end-game commerce in three cities, and maintaining diplomatic peace.

I founded the requisite minimum six cities and played nice while maintaining enough military to at least make a show. There was one crucial thing that I knew I was not in control of for this strategy: how many religions I wound up with in my borders, waiting for them to spread.

It turned out to be three. I had really expected four. Two would have posed a real problem. Three turned out to be enough. I knew that this kind of win wouldn't score well, but it worked on challenger. I'm OK with that.

Score: 10,330
Date:1928
Type: Cultural
Class: Challenger

Here's a bird's eye view of my bare bones empire in 1710. I never bothered to found any more cities. Perhaps the reason that some people lost their cultural games is because they tried to found more cities than are necessary to win and thus crippled their research.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 267
Domination victory 1850, 67.000 points.

Summary of early game: Rushed Alex with axes, had 9 cities at 300 AD.

Went all-out research from then and kept everyone happy.

First to liberalism and economics.

beelined for military trad and started pumping cavalry.

Overran vicky pretty easily.

Switched to communism around this time.

Saladin was wiped out in a few turns as well. Mecca had the pyramids so I switched to universal suffrage, switched to 0% science and rush bought markets, banks and grocers in all major cities.
Rushed cavalry and other military units for the rest of the game.

Louis was a bit harder, but catapults brought his defenses down and my cav wa able to finish him off.

The last % land mass needed for domination was secured on the ice island east of Delhi.

Summarizing, once Alex was gone it was an easy game. I don't know why, but the AI research rate was very slow in my game - maybe due to the different religions.
I encountered longbowmen up to ~1600 AD.

But a great game! Looking forward to next months GOTM!

Conquered in 1906.

Alex founded a early city to get both marble to me east. I flipped it fairly easily, and got CoL through the Oracle. I spread Confusicism to Alex, who converted, and we were good friends for the next 4000 odd years.

With Alex boxing me in, I decided to spread east, and landed a force of axemen in tiny city that Alex had on Izzy's island. Izzy promptly researched feudalism, and declared war on me! A long war saw me eventually take Barcelona with macemen. But Izzy counter-attacked with a massive number of horse archers, and retook Barca. Exhausted, I then sued for peace, and went for a 4 city cultural win. Researched liberalism, and turned on the culture tap.

Every thing looked reasonably good. The culture was amassing, and I was building up the GAs. But Alex was annoyed that I had flipped a third of his cities, and declared war. Game over, though it did take Alex a surprisingly long time for his knights, riflemen, and then cavalry to take my lightly defended cities.

A quick re-cap from my other post in the first spoiler (playing Contender level):

Alex took my city spot just south of the marble and in a despartion move I burned it to the ground with 3 Warriors. With the copper hooked up, Axes took out Athens and Alex wasn't a problem after that. Vicky had the big lead in land and tech, but I was catching up as of 580AD. <end recap>

OK, with the Hindu alliance of me, Saladin and Louis firmly in place, I caught Vicky in tech by the Middle Ages. I had a window of opportunity when I got Riflemen because Vicky hadn't yet dicovered Gunpowder. War was on! Louis and I took most of Vicky's cities (Cavalry and Riflemen >> Longbowmen and Knights). Louis made peace and I had to stop before Vicky was gone because of war weariness (-17 in my capitol!).

Meanwhile, Spain had that huge continent by herself, so I sent a group across the small gap to her island. I took 2 of her cities on the island before I had to sue for peace. Fortunately for me, one of them was the Islam Holy City. The money from the shrine helped keep my science slider up, and I spread Islam to my whole nation.

I was way ahead in score, land and tech and I had my choice of victory conditions. I decided to go with my old stand-by, Spaceship Victory. I figured that not too many people would submit a Spaceship Victory. Egypt was being a pain because she kept beating me to all of the wonders. She beat me to the Three Gorges Dam, Rock and Roll, Hollywood and the worst one: the UN. Stupid Louis voted for her as SG, even though he was pleased with me and only cautious to her. But I switched off of Free Religion and back to Hindu to get the alliance back together and I was able to block Hatty's Diplomacy Victory. The next SG election was won by me, so I passed useless votes until my spaceship was launched.

I had a lot of fun in this game because I finally got to fight a modern war against an AI with modern weapons. Spain attacked me and took back the Islam holy city, but my combination of Bombers, Tanks, Gunships and Infantry fought off her whole continent until I was able to take the city back. The war ended when my group of Bombers and suicide Tanks took Madrid and burned it to the ground. :evil:

I didn't launch my ship until the year 2000, so my score was a not-so-impressive 15K. But, hey, there probably won't be too many other launches so I'm happy about that. This was only my 2nd win on Emperor so I'm happy about that too.

Top Bottom