GOTM 04 - Pre-Game Discussion

The spoiler-1 conditions are chosen rather unfortunately I'd say. You need good relations with practically everyone, and additionally make the effort to explore every tile yourself (or trade maps of course). Both is very unlikely to happen before 500 AD.

Maybe Ainwood could tone down the requirements a bit?

karmina said:
The spoiler-1 conditions are chosen rather unfortunately I'd say. You need good relations with practically everyone, and additionally make the effort to explore every tile yourself (or trade maps of course). Both is very unlikely to happen before 500 AD.

Maybe Ainwood could tone down the requirements a bit?

I guess it is difficult to lay down precise requirements for exploration because everyone will play differently. And I'd imagine it's also exceedingly difficult to write spoiler instructions for a given GOTM that are appropriate to that particular GOTM, but which don't by implication give away extra information about the map - so I don't envy Ainwood in that task. On the other hand I think it's in the nature of these that spoiler guidelines are going to be approximate anyway - there's too many different ways that people can play to lay down very rigid rules so there's inevitably going to be some judgement needed by individual players about the spoiler (And you can't stop anyone reading the thread when they shouldn't anyway).

I certainly agree though there was a problem in this case: I had two difficulties with spoiler 1: Firstly, I'd met all the other spoiler conditions without exploring anything like the whole continent - because I don't tend as a matter of principle to devote significant resources to exploring any areas that there isn't a realistic possibility of my settling in the near future. Secondly, this was IIRC a wide continents map with a sea-based start and accordingly I built a galley very early, but the spoiler precluded me from discussing anything that I might or might not have discovered with that galley.

Perhaps a better spoiler would say something more along the lines that you must have explored all land that is within - say - 20ish tiles of the starting location and accessible either on foot or by galley?

Top Bottom