GOTM 09: Pre-Game discussion

to Dolphan:
It's definitly worth some practice games!
This is my first GOTM and I just rushed into it, now I'm sitting here with my messed-up game.
I guess it is common to practice before starting the savegame, isn't it?

Airny said:
I guess it is common to practice before starting the savegame, isn't it?

No. There are hundreds of GOTM participants, and only a few who go to the extent of "practice games". If you just play the game, and do your best, you're right in line with the vast majority of participants.

DaviddesJ said:
No. There are hundreds of GOTM participants, and only a few who go to the extent of "practice games". If you just play the game, and do your best, you're right in line with the vast majority of participants.

I would think there's more than 'a few' who play practice games. I'd guess it tends to be more the people who don't feel totally comfortable at the level of each month's GOTM who do so, so perhaps practice games aren't as common amongst the top people. And I'd guess it's only a few who ever play practice games to completion (as opposed to eg. playing to 0AD or until they have 4-5 cities established)

DynamicSpirit said:
I'd guess it tends to be more the people who don't feel totally comfortable at the level of each month's GOTM who do so, so perhaps practice games aren't as common amongst the top people.

Well, I think entirely the opposite. The people who are super-serious and competitive about the game are most likely the ones who are comfortable at Emperor and higher, these are also the players who are most likely to "practice". And the players who are comfortable only at Prince could improve their game much more just by reading some of the advice on this site, than by spending the same amount of time playing "practice games".

DaviddesJ said:
Well, I think entirely the opposite. The people who are super-serious and competitive about the game are most likely the ones who are comfortable at Emperor and higher, these are also the players who are most likely to "practice". And the players who are comfortable only at Prince could improve their game much more just by reading some of the advice on this site, than by spending the same amount of time playing "practice games".

I'm a relatively inexperienced civ player, and while I did read a lot on this site (and probably got a boost from SGOTM1) I think my first GOTM victory, on 7, had a lot to do with the fact that I played a practice game to the point of economic collapse, then played the actual GOTM and managed to avoid that happening. I don't have a clue about the worldbuilder, but as people are kind enough to post practice saves, I take the opportunity. I'm on my 2nd for GOTM9, doing considerably better than the 1st (more fog-busters this time!) and may do a third if time permits, mainly because I'm definitely a player who is 'uncomfortable on Emperor'!

Top Bottom