GOTM 116 Results and Congratulations

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
Congratulations to - well, all the usual people really ;). I think these results speak for themselves. I'll merely remark that Cactus Pete gets the triple honour of a gold medal, fastest domination, and a revival of one of his old game ideas from 5 years ago in the latest BOTM.

Summary of Medal Winners:

Cactus Pete: 1210 AD Domination Victory, 132,128 points.

Jovan Kukic: 1500 AD Domination Victory, 115,348 points.

hhhawk: 1605 AD Domination Victory, 112,167 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

nocho: 1520 AD Diplomatic Victory, 70,996 points.

Dhoomstriker: 1470 AD Conquest Victory, 68,050 points.

Jastrow: 1804 AD Spaceship Victory, 57,707 points.

deckhand: 1808 AD Cultural Victory, 25,196 points.

sevnhuts: 1949 AD Domination Victory, 20,567 points.

Other Award Winners:

craigholl: 1981 AD Domination Victory, 12,759 points.

Pious_Pete: 1904 AD Diplomatic Victory, 9,986 points.

Orel: 2021 AD Spaceship Victory, 8,093 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

There was some nice competition for the Medals, but it is surprising to see a date in the 1200s beating out games in the 1500s and 1600s. I thought that playing for Score was best done in the 1500 AD - 1650 AD range, but I'm no expert on Score, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

It's nice to see that there was only 1 Pig Resource missing in the Challenger game (I couldn't be sure if "Pigs" referred to one or more--the plurals in Civ 4 can be confusing and are often inconsistently applied in the game). Maybe that missing Pig Resource made enough of a difference in hhhawk's Score compared to the competition, though, as it looks like he chose to settle in place, rather than using the Scout to find a replacement Food source.

That's a pretty nice Diplo date, nocho! :goodjob:

Congrats to all participants and thanks to the staff for yet another fun game! :)

and a revival of one of his old game ideas from 5 years ago in the latest BOTM.
Good attempt at marketing! Perhaps you'll drag Cactus Pete back into playing another BtS game.

There was some nice competition for the Medals, but it is surprising to see a date in the 1200s beating out games in the 1500s and 1600s. I thought that playing for Score was best done in the 1500 AD - 1650 AD range, but I'm no expert on Score, so maybe someone can enlighten me. After 1500, it becomes significantly more difficult to increase score through population growth. Don't know the game algorithm for that -- just obvious from playing Vanilla for score. (If it were in BtS, I've no doubt you would have already learned and mastered it.) Actually, in this game, I blundered past the Dom'n limit well before I intended and didn't get to milk the game for score, which would have taken me closer to a 1500AD finish date.

Congrats to all participants and thanks to the staff for yet another fun game! :) Ditto.

Good attempt at marketing! Perhaps you'll drag Cactus Pete back into playing another BtS game.
I'll take a look, but afraid this is just too busy a time of year for me.

Hey all. I just happened to be browsing this thread and noticed a discussion of scoring algorithm. I've recently dug into some of my bookmarked browser links for similar info--specifically relationship between victory turn and normalized score. This link from T-Hawk's site explains it very well (and also includes a score calculator so you can input values from games you're playing).
http://www.dos486.com/civ4/index/score.shtml

nocho and I took steps toward Eptathlon awards. At least nocho's fastest victory was contested. It was so boring playing for a cultural victory. I think I will go back to middle of the pack domination.
nocho only needs a Cow now.

That's a pretty nice Diplo date, nocho! :goodjob:
Thanks! It came nicely together this game; libbing radio, a GE right on time, the right UN opponent, a second AI turning friendly just on time.

Congrats to all participants and thanks to the staff for yet another fun game! :)
Ditto.

nocho and I took steps toward Eptathlon awards. At least nocho's fastest victory was contested. It was so boring playing for a cultural victory. I think I will go back to middle of the pack domination.
nocho only needs a Cow now.
Sssshhh, I've made a habit of collecting fastest awards by choosing the right VC (often the more "unlikely" ones given a specific game setup) for the least competition possible. That's how I got my eptathlons in BtS and Warlords. :mischief: Also helps to be dedicated to this now instead of 5 or 7 years ago... Anyway, I don't want competition for the cow in 117 to complete the trilogy! :lol:

Top Bottom