GOTM 126 Spoiler

1. what is the 1-city trick? what are the benefits and how is it done?

I'm guessing, as Prof G did, that you mean the size-1 trick. If you haven't heard of that, you might want to read the thread about "Tips and Tricks for New Players", which contains lots of useful info even for old players (but not much advice about how to use the info, eg strategy). The size-1 trick is usually a good idea when you start with only one settler, because it helps you grow faster. So, I had to kick myself for not even thinking about it. But I'm not so sure it is actually a good idea for this gotm, because having a 2nd settler on a tiny island probably doesn't help much. Your call, of course.

Unrelated to that ... I was planning to post a screenshot, like Prof G's, to show how my strategy against respawns works. But my "Civ2 PC" is so slow tonight, I gave up. Any EC players interested in this ?

The size-1 trick is usually a good idea when you start with only one settler, because it helps you grow faster. So, I had to kick myself for not even thinking about it. But I'm not so sure it is actually a good idea for this gotm, because having a 2nd settler on a tiny island probably doesn't help much.
It is useful. I used it on purpose and that allowed me to build my 2nd city faster. The island was more than big enough for the settler to do useful work before departure.

Let me do an analysis. On a tiny island should I build a size-1 settler followed by a trireme or the other way around? A size-1 settler saves me 20 foods (what it takes to go from size 1 to size 2). Working forest vs. whales for 6 turns (what it takes to reach 40 shields before foodbox overflows) costs me 6 foods and 12 arrows. Furthermore, an idle settler costs me one food per turn. So the overall cost for n turns of an idle size-1 setter is n+6 foods and 12 arrows. Equating an arrow to a food (reasonable assumption at the start of the game) the cost is n+18. Thus my settler has to be idle for 2 turns before I break even. Even on a two tile island, I can produce a trireme before that happens.

Well, I finally started playing this scenario in classic mode and I am now at 500AD. Let me tell you something for nothing which you probably all have already worked out. Classic version is ridiculously easy compared to MGE...

Example, when I started this scenario in MGE, I got to about 1AD, and the Romans requested an alliance with me. When I left our chat, they were receptive. Two turns later and my trireme with two settlers passes by their island on the way to the neutral land up North and they break the alliance, meaning my trireme gets moved back down to the start point. They are now hostile!!

In my new classic mode game they allied with me as soon as I got MPE and we have stayed that way since.

I officially love classic mode as I can actually enjoy the diplomacy now, rather than wanting to vomit whenever I hit F3...

Anyway, here's a summary of my progress. I have posted both at 1AD and 500AD to condense it. I have kept a basic turn by turn log, but I can't be bothered posting that at the moment. If any of you do want info back from the BC period though, I do have it. Let's roll...

1AD

5 Cities, 24 techs, Monarchy, Population 410k, T3L0S7
97 gold, Net Income 7/turn, Discoveries every 35 turns
I own Lighthouse, MPE & Mike's
Allied with Romans
Peace with Spain, Persia & Greece
War with Zulus & Vikings
Goals - 1 -Get trade flowing from Karakorum and Samarkand
- 2 -Hut popping in Northern Neutral Land for gold, nomads and advanced cities
- 3 -Begin Magellans or Leos

500AD

11 Cities, 27 techs, Monarchy, Population 920k, T3L0S7
267 gold, Net Income 11/turn, Discoveries every 26 turns; 0D4F Trade routes;
I own Lighthouse, MPE & Mike's. 70% through Leo's; navigation not discovered yet
Allied with Romans
War with Zulus & Vikings
Goals - 1 - Get trade flowing from Karakorum and Samarkand
- 2 - Complete hut popping in Northern Neutral Land for gold, nomads and
advanced cities
- 3 - Democracy research at 50%. Two vans will connect in 2 turns, so hopefully
that will knock me over and I will change immediately
- 4 - Get trade flowing from Karakorum and Samarkand
- 5 - Complete Magellans or Leos

I need some advice though at this point. What is better for me to go with; magellans or leos? I plan on playing a fairly conservative role of peace/teching up until howitzers/space race, so I was thinking I should change to Magellans rather than stay with Leo.

Oh and while I think of it, just wanted to say thanks to Ali for his great work on setting this map up. It's really challenging me and keeping me very interested.

Any tips on how I can increase my research skills are very welcome. If you didn't notice, I only got three techs between 1ad and 500ad. AI had nothing worth trading for and my research was woeful due to not enough cities/trade routes/monarchy etc.

Mag vs Leo ? In my games, I would usually prefer Leo, to upgrade approx 20 triremes and maybe 15 settlers instantly, or in the very near future. If you don't already have many units to upgrade, there's much less urgency, but it's still one of the best WoWs. Of course Mag's is too, if you are planning long-distance trade routes or conquests.

It really depends on how many units you have to upgrade, and where they are located. Leo's is an interesting wonder because if you are in a relatively bad position, it won't help you much, but if you are in a good position it will help you a lot. That is, if you have very few units, having Leo's isn't all that important, but if you have lots of units that can be upgraded, having Leo's can save you a massive expense and bother (particularly for ships).

In most circumstances, I would rank Magellan slightly higher. The reason is that if I can't afford both, Leo's is unlikely to do me a lot of good, while Magellan's substantially reduces the time to establish a shipchain when I get around to it (and is even more important if I never get around to it), and the number of ships it will require. Also, Magellan's helps you all the time, whereas Leo's only helps at certain times, so Leo's can be "recovered" by capture much more effectively than Magellan's.

This map has lots of water, so you are likely to be doing a lot of shipping.

Thanks for the opinions gents. I would almost always go with Leos if I have the chance in my normal game, but this ain't no normal game haha.... If the option to get Magellan's arises before Leo's completes, I'll switch.

Edit: Turns out the Romans got to Leo's first, so I'll have to settle for Magellan's.

1000AD

18 Cities, 34 techs, Democracy, Population 1.65m, T1L2S7
1253 gold, Net Income 18/turn, Discoveries every 7 turns; 0D5F Trade routes;
I own Lighthouse, MPE, Mike's & Magellan's. 40% through Darwin's Voyage
Allied with Romans
War with Zulus & Vikings
Goals
1 - Get trade flowing from all major cities
2 - Grow my cities in the North, maybe try to get some WLTPD celebrations to assist me

Can anyone give me any tips for how to increase my production levels? I'm really struggling now that I'm in democracy.

1000ADCan anyone give me any tips for how to increase my production levels? I'm really struggling now that I'm in democracy.
1. Give priority to achieving miniaturization. Build as many offshore platforms as possible.

2. Give priority to offshore longdistance trade and build everything in two turns: one turn to seed the production box and the next to rush it.

Great job so far. What is your footprint?

I'm skipping this one and have moved on straight to the next GOTM. Not because of lack of time but because of bad strategy: I went for OCC with early republic, then trade, but when I finally had MPE in -900 I was just too far behind. AI was building wonder after wonder and I didn't see a point in keeping on playing without the key wonders (Colossus already built, Copernicus under construction). I guess I totally underestimated the AI's head start...:crazyeye:

+1752 Romans develop Space Flight. Future Tech 24 -> 25 -> 26 -> 27. Domestic deliveries for 1308, 102, 1060, 157. Foreign Deliveries for 216. Single defender of Bapedi killed and the city taken for 465g. Zulu capital escapes to Hlobane. Zulu are now confined to one island. Roman embassy established.
+1754 Senate hands Zulu another cease fire and they put 2 cavalry by Zabol. Spanish steal Plastics. I keep the alliance. Future Tech 27 -> 28 -> 29 -> 30. Domestic deliveries for 192, 684, 1000, 987.
+1756 Zulu cavalry kill alpine defending Zabol, a transport parked there, a nearby Engineer, and raze the city. Spanish switch from Democracy to Republic. Future Tech 30 -> 31 -> 32 -> 33. Stealth fighter kills Zulu cavalry. Domestic deliveries for 310, 1440. Foreign Deliveries for 820, 457. Sardis founded in Persia.
+1758 Future Tech 33 -> 34 -> 35 -> 36. Domestic deliveries for 132, 120, 418. Foreign Deliveries for 517, 67. Varaamin founded.
+1760 Romans ask for Superconductor, I comply. Then they ask for Laser, I comply. Then I gift them Environmentalism to slow down their research. Finally I ask for a gift, and they cancel alliance . At least this removed all their forces who were pestering in my lands. Future Tech 36 -> 37 -> 38. There are now 13 polluted tiles, more than ever before. Domestic deliveries for 127, 537, 226, 392, 416, 158. Zulu destroyer sunk.
+1762 Global Warming alarm received. Romans develop Fusion Power, the last of the space techs for them and switch to Communism. Future Tech 38 -> 39 -> 40. Apollo built. Domestic deliveries for 168, 987, 460, 646. Adelaide and Perth founded. Greek caravel sunk. Zulu cavalry killed. Pollution down to 3 and all 3 will be cleared next turn. Spanish Seville subverted for 2x1354. Lost Spy. Got Eiffel, Suffrage, 429g, Amphibious Warfare, 2 units, and 3 structures.
+1764 Future Tech 40 -> 41 -> 42 -> 43. Space race starts with 4 structurals and 2 components. 3 Zulu units killed. All pollution cleaned up. Lunde founded as the last city in Scandinavia.
+1766 Romans land in two spots on the Y. Future Tech 43 -> 44 -> 45. Romans declare war when I ask them to remove their troops. This is going to be messy since I have very few assault units and they have plenty. 2 Roman units killed. Domestic deliveries for 1230, 217, 235, 557. Roman tank bribed for 348 and killed in attack on another Roman tank. Roman artillery bribed for 217. Roman Cumae bribed for 934. Spy lost. Got Guerrilla Warfare, 39g, 2 units, and 2 structures. 2 Roman partisans appear. Senate hands Romans peace. Roman destroyer bribed for 255g. Roman cruiser bribed for 340g. Kermanshah founded. T4L2S4
+1768 Future Tech 45 -> 46 -> 47. Roman partisan bribed for 295g. Domestic deliveries for 1632, 192, 1295. Roman Lugdunum subverted for 2x1830g. Spy turned vet. Got 103g, 7 units, and 5 structures. Karaj, Anzali, and Mahabad founded. Spanish Barcelona subverted for 2x1040 to stop their units pestering around SE Zulu island and blocking my way. Spy lost. Got 478g, a boat, and 4 structures. 2 Roman units bribed. T5L2S3
+1770 Romans sneak attack and kill 10 units. Future Tech 47 -> 48 -> 49. Domestic deliveries for 465, 1802. Lost an AEGIS, a cannon, and a stealth fighter attacking Romans killing 2 Roman units, and taking Roman Palmyra expelling Romans from southern Italy. Senate hands Romans cease fire. 3 Roman units bribed. Spanish Salamanca subverted for 2x1274g to get rid of their units pestering me in southern Spain. Spanish have only two cities now in northern Spain. Baku founded. T4L2S4
+1772 Romans start Manhattan! Romans attack and kill 3 units. Future Tech 49 -> 50 -> 51. Space ship is now launchable. 4 Roman units killed and 1 unit lost in battle. Darwin founded. Domestic deliveries for 424. T3L2S5
+1774 Romans attack Palmyra again and kill 2 units. Future Tech 51 -> 52 -> 53. 7 Roman units killed. Domestic deliveries for 1434, 2392 (capped). Brujerd founded. T2L2S6
+1776 Romans have almost finished Manhattan two turns after starting it! They lose a ship attacking me. Future Tech 53 -> 54 -> 55 -> 56. 2 Roman units killed.
+1778 Romans build Manhattan and switch to Democracy. Romans kill 2 Engineers and 3 other units. Future Tech 56 -> 57 -> 58. Domestic deliveries for 236, 385, 496. T1L2S7
+1780 Romans lose a ship and kill 3 units attacking me. Future Tech 58 -> 59 -> 60 -> 61. Domestic deliveries for 76, 322, 1148, 810, 228. Barbarian knight who has been wandering for centuries, bribed for 82g. 9 Roman units killed, including the 3 in Rome. Lost 2 units in the process. Caesaraugusta captured for 180g. Senate hands Roman a cease fire. 2 Partisans appear. T2L2S6
+1782 Future Tech 61 -> 62 -> 63 -> 64. Full space ship launched. Domestic deliveries for 410, 525, 425, 460, 142, 64, 377, 222. Took advantage of the expiration of cease fire and took defenseless Rome. Roman capital moves to Virconium. Got 500g, King Richards, and 5 structures. 3 Roman partisans appear and are killed by stealth fighters. 5 other Roman units killed. Spy investigates 3 nearby Roman cities and finds no nuclear missiles. SDI rushed from scratch in both recently captured Roman cities.
+1783 Romans kill an engineer and capture undefended Shangtu. They take Robotics. I get 3 partisans. Future Tech 64 -> 65 -> 66 -> 67. Domestic deliveries for 498, 484. Foreign deliveries for 488. 7 Roman units killed. Shangtu taken back for 206g; no partisans. Ravenna taken for 207g, 2 partisans appear and are killed by stealth fighter. Lutetia taken for 205g and Manhattan; 3 partisans appear and are killed. Hispalis taken for 169g; 2 partisans appear and are killed. Persian engineer wandering in Scandinavia bribed for 676 just to get him out of the way. T4L2S4
+1784 Future Tech 67 -> 68 -> 69. 4 Roman unit killed including a nuclear missile. Virconium captured for 253 and Shakespear; 3 partisans appear and are killed. Pisae taken for 180g; 2 partisans appear and are killed. Byzantium captured for 111g; 2 partisans appear Domestic deliveries for 2669, 677. Dezful founded. T3L2S5
+1785 Romans join the space race. Roman bomber kills my tank. Future Tech 69 -> 70 -> 71 -> 72. Domestic deliveries for 540, 1016, 114, 2721. Foreign deliveries for 447. Fuman and Arran founded. One Zulu unit killed. 2 Roman units killed and one ship lost in attacks. Veii taken for 288g. Antium captured for 226g. One partisan appears and is killed.
+1786 Future Tech 72 -> 73 -> 74 -> 75. Domestic deliveries for 1064, 2316, 214. Foreign deliveries for 162.
+1787 Persians join the space race. Persians land 2 diplomats near Kaupang. Future Tech 75 -> 76 -> 77 -> 78. First Solar plant built in a better-late-than-never attempt to battle global warming (pollution indicator has been gone for quite a few turns). Domestic deliveries for 1298, 971, 336, 360, 1480. Rudbar and Tehran founded. Zabol refounded in southwest Zululand. 2 Roman units killed.
+1788 Roman bomber killed in attack on wounded stealth fighter. Romans switch from Democracy to Republic! Senate hands Zulu cease fire. Spy foils Persian espionage attempt. Future Tech 78 -> 79 -> 80 -> 81. Wollongong, Tangestan, and Bam founded. Domestic deliveries for 144, 728, 1456. Foreign deliveries for 1484. 1 Roman unit killed and Pompeii captured for Pyramids and 434g; 3 partisans appear and are killed. Roman Jerusalem bribed for 364. Got a bomber. 2 partisans appear; one is killed.
+1789 Roman partisan kills bomber. Persians steal Fusion Power; I keep the alliance. Future Tech 81 -> 82 -> 83 -> 84. Domestic deliveries for 342, 1190, 245, 1116, 572, 114, 330. 3 Roman units killed and Syracuse captured for 320g. Roman civilization destroyed. More importantly, the threat of Nuclear war is now gone as the other rivals do not have Rocketry.
+1790 Zulu break cease fire and kill 2 engineers. Gave Nuclear Fission to Persians to keep them calm. Future Tech 84 -> 85 -> 86 -> 87. Viborg relocated. Zulu destroyer bribed for 531g and used to kill 2 Zulu units. Domestic deliveries for 1830, 2981. T1L2S7
+1791 Future Tech 87 -> 88 -> 89 -> 90 -> 91. Dashtestan, Caesarea, Garmsar, Paveh, and Geelong founded. Domestic deliveries for 450, 130, 2718, 114, 1490, 2366, 74, 440, 618, 3050. Gems to Athens for 1872. Persian engineer bribed for 600g.
+1792 Spanish join the space race. Future Tech 91 -> 92 -> 93 -> 94 -> 95. Oracle built. T0L10S0. Zulu transport sunk. Baaft , Tweed, Spahan, Nayin, Fereydunkenar, and Arbil founded. Domestic deliveries for 244, 528, 487, 1597. I have 139 cities.
+1793 Space ship arrives

I finished ages ago but haven't had a chance to psot here until now. ( I also forgot to submit the game too, now done hope it's not too late.)

I wasn't sure whether to go for Lighthouse or Marcos. In the end it was decided for me, the Zulu's built the lighthouse. Turned out Marcos was the best option, I had four alliances (Romans, Zulus Vikings and Greeks) for much of the early part and literally thousands in gifts plus a lot of techs. This enabled me to wage war and capture the persian islands plus half of spain fairly early.

After that Vikings then greeks. Defeating the Romans and Zulus was difficult until I got a good foot in. Had loads of little restarts took out a few of them and then launched the fastest ship. I could have launched earlier but I was having fun with the Romans and Zulus and got sidetracked.

I really enjoyed this one. Good map, Ali.

BC550 2 cities (size 5 + 3), Monarchy, 29 techs (including Navigation), discoveries every 55 turns at 70% science, 330g, Marcos built.
No trade arrows but 3 vans halfway to Persia on boat.

BC25 4 cities ( 7 + 7 +7 Susa +5 seville), Republic, 2 alliances remain Greeks no longer Allied, 33 techs researching sanitation, Discov 30 turns at 40% science. War with Spain and Persia. Marcos only wonder I have
Trade routes 9 (3 with Susa so domestic)

AD 540 10 cities (8 + 8 + 8 susa + 4 pasagarde + 2 bokhara on persian isle + seville 5 + salamanca 2 + toledo 3) Republic, 37 techs researchign steam engine, discovs 21 turns at 60%, still 3 alliances, cease fire with persia (waiting for ironclads) I'm pretty sure I lost at least one other city where bokhara is (razed by persians), Still at war with spain but southern spanish isle mine.
11 trade routes, all domestic through conquests.

AD1000 24 cities, Vikings Persians & Greeks defeated, 2 uncapture cities on spanish isle are in Zulu hands. Still allied with Romans. Democracy. 42 techs, discovs 12 turns @ 40%. Pyrmaids and Magellans captured, Leos built.

AD1500 25 cities 1 size 1 city on bottom of continent 7. This stage was a real struggle whenever i captured a city they took it back straight away. 52 techs research machine tools. Wr with romans peace with zulus.

Landed 1838ad

I wasn't sure whether to go for Lighthouse or Marcos..... Turned out Marcos was the best option

This surprises me, since getting off the islands to bulk up was my highest priority, and LH was key. Could you say more ....? I guess you waited until Nav to build boats, but that delay was not a problem ? Perhaps since you were playing for landing, the early techs were more important to you than expanding - but this still surprises me a bit.

I built a couple of early embassies with dips, and got lots of techs from that and from conquest, before capturing Marco fairly late. Marco earlier would've been nice, but I felt LH was worth more for my game plan.

This surprises me, since getting off the islands to bulk up was my highest priority, and LH was key. Could you say more ....? I guess you waited until Nav to build boats, but that delay was not a problem ? Perhaps since you were playing for landing, the early techs were more important to you than expanding - but this still surprises me a bit.

I built a couple of early embassies with dips, and got lots of techs from that and from conquest, before capturing Marco fairly late. Marco earlier would've been nice, but I felt LH was worth more for my game plan.

Looking at other people's stats, I guess Marco's wasn't the best after all. The sheer amount of early tribute I got (and the fact the lighthouse was built by another AI before I had a chance) made me think Marco's was the way.

I got Nav quite soon after Marco's (can't remember who from, possibly one of the bigger civs) so it didn't at the time seem to be a problem. However, although I don't have saves from the very early period, I know I didn't build Marco's until 3-400 hundred years after everyone else built the LH. I did prebuild it and thought I'd pushed everything at it but obviously not.

I knew the game would be a combination of conquest and landing and with all the cities on rivers I probably delayed a few attacks until I'd built barracks etc. Maybe LH and a quick landgrab at the start would have been more benefit? I can remember a big period of high corruption under monarchy where I just didn't seem to be able to do anything of worth until Democracy.

I might have another go at the start and head for LH, see what happens.

I have reported earlier that I do not have a "good" game in terms of achievement compared to others. Regarding the recent discussion about wonders I did Marco's rather than Lighthouse and felt after other contributions I would have done better with Lighthouse. (MPE 1600, LH 1200 by the Zulus.)

(I note in passing Ali managed both in an impressive display of early optimisation.)

We didn't get Navigation until 340 AD. The Zulus and Romans developed and exchanged it in AD1; we were not so successful with our diplomacy (or were more patient) and got it via an exchange after the Spanish captured it.

What with these things and probably others my game was longer and slower, compared to other dates here.

A point of tension when the big war came, like in Ali's, was whether it would go nuclear (this was in the 1820's and 1830's in my case.) I was pleased that transports and spies managed to prevent Manhattan being completed.

My landing was in 1886 (turn 287) as I played some turns of growth to reward the Mongols for the centuries of hardship. We finished with cities everywhere.

"Powers of 2" might not even quite describe the accelerating progress made in number of cities (it might in other respects)!

Cities 1 and 2 came in turns 1 and 22.
Cities 3 and 4 in turns 142 and 144.
Cities 5 and 6 in turns 186 and 188.
Cities 7, 8 and 9 in turns 199, 200 and 204.
and so on, growing like the American Mid-West in the middle of the 19th century.

I spent a week on the first 250 turns, then two months on the other 35.

I had a nuclear scare as well (Zulus built Manhattan shortly before I was to begin conquest. Here's the last of my log.

AD 1762: ROMANS build Hoover Dam, Cure for Cancer, Eiffel Tower.
AD 1768: Automobile.
AD 1772: Destroy Greeks.
AD 1774: Spanish Cancel Alliance
AD 1788: Railnet complete on "Y" continent.
AD 1796: Romans declare WAR, I take Tarentum and steal Radio. Take Susa from Spanish, get Atomic Theory.

Status at 1800:

Cities: 51
Treasury: 2392
Government: Democracy
Science 10%, Taxes 60%. Income: 1145; Costs: 234; Discoveries: 11 turns
WONDERS: Lighthouse, KRC, Mike's, Magellan's, Bach's (Only SETI, Apollo, Manhattan unbuilt)
Units: 10 engineers, 3 howitzers, 6 Mech, 17 marines, 10 transport, 27 freight, 2 cruisers (2 battleships in production)
Techs: 73
Power: Supreme
Romans: Icy, CF, 2000g
Zulus: Enraged, WAR, 6646g
Vikings: Enraged, WAR, 2072g
Spanish: Receptive, CF, 2366g
Persians: Receptive, Peace, 2011g

1804: Trade advanced flight to Persians for Espionage.
1806: Romans develop Nuclear Fission
1808: SPACE FLIGHT
1810: Take Pompeii, get HOOVER, MARCO's, NUKE FISSION
1814-1818: ROMANS develop Rocketry, Space Flight, Plastics
1820: STEALTH. Make plans to launch 15 year Spaceship by 1830, and to start conquest of Rome and Zululand shortly thereafter (ie amass howitzers and other troops in region). Spend ~9000 gold.
1822: APOLLO PROGRAM
1826: Zulus start and nearly complete Manhattan in 4 cities. Rush SDI in important cities (read: cities with large troop buildups)
1828: Romans develop LASER, Zulus build MANHATTAN PROJECT. LAUNCH 15-3-3-1-1-1 SPACESHIP. Can't sneak attack Romans (I thought a spaceship launch would make the senate hawkish).
1829: PLANT NUKE in Intombe (Zulu city), caught red handed - War with everyone! Make deliveries of roughly 20,000 gold before acquiring flight. Take more cities than I care to list.

Status 1829:

Cities: 92
Treasury: 16896
Government: Democracy
Science 0%, Taxes 50%. Income: 2002; Costs: 665; Discoveries: 89 turns
WONDERS: 13 Mine, all but SETI built
Units: 35 Engineers, 27 Mech. Inf., 75 Howitzer, 6 stealth fighters, 7 Battleship, 1 nuke, 10 spies, 18 freight, 49 transports.
Techs: ALL, FT 4 researched
Power: Supreme
War with Everyone

1830: Spanish liberate 2 small cities in Zululand with help of Zulu bombardment. Destroy Persians. Destroy Romans.

1831: Destroy Spanish. Senate forces peace with Vikings, which I thought was prevented by spaceship launch.

1832: War with Vikings again. Destroy Zulus. Skip most of this turn.

1833: Take last viking cities. Conquest complete.

Cities at end: 125

I got Nav quite soon after Marco's (can't remember who from, possibly one of the bigger civs) so it didn't at the time seem to be a problem.

OK. In that case, Marco's may have been better for you than LH. You could sail fairly soon after your first WoW either way, and Marco's + Nav has more side benefits than LH.

(I note in passing Ali managed both in an impressive display of early optimisation.)
Thanks. I was also helped by two factors: one was the outcome of the first hut. I got an elephant which when disbanded advanced the building of my first trireme (and hence my second city) by 4 turns. The other was early serious war among the AI. All but Greeks were involved. My computer rivals built fewer wonders prior to +1 than some of the others reported here.

Top Bottom