GOTM 16 Spoiler

Yes the barbs will be NONS.Its a good plan.Especially if the city was captured by barb crusaders,knights,legions something fairly strong at that point.The city will keeping building whatever unit captured it.You can keep this "factory" going indefinetly.
AI civs will try to sack it eventually.If the city is on an island you have an ideal situation.

Well.. It's good to see that I'm not the only one suffering a bad game..I've killed one civ just discovered democracy and already in the 1300...Time to max out and grow I suppose.

275 BC, French build Colossus.
Why build Copernicus' Obsevatory without the Colossus, when you could build both?
I concentrated fairly heavily on wonders by getting Trade ASAP in the early part of this game and got Pyramids, Hanging Gardens, Colossus & Marco Polo's. This set up my science city + good development for later conquest.
However, I must have played badly in the middle game bec. it's 1874 and I've only just launched the SS (which I delayed a little to grow a bit).

Turns out I had only played to 100bc so I have to revise my 1ad stats.

44 cities :)
only 22 techs..not 23 :(
still 2 wonders

same situation cept I was able to divert caravans from Michs and will probably invest in the Lighthouse.Building up a modest army of crusaders and diplomats.

Its 1922, I'm at war on three fronts and not winning a single one, they simply will not leave me alone. I've missed out on so many wonders that I have lost count.

I am behind in technology so it seeems that it is only a matter of time before I get anniliated. I am having the greatest difficulty with the celts, my own fault for not taking the continent for myself early on. I have a couple of fortresses full of marines holding them back just below Zimbabwe, but now they have artilliary it seems unlikely that I will withstand their attacks much longer.

I bought one of their cities, that cost me nearly 9000, the next one I sent a spy into asked for 20000. I must admit that I am at a complete loss as to what to do.

Last gotm I finished by conquest in 775bc, this one the game was probably already over by 775bc and my failure to play a decent game at the start is really beginning to bite.

ferenginar

:confused: :mad: :cry:

I think thats a high price to buy a city :)

I bought a city with the Eiffel Tower for about 1000, thought i had a great deal till the AI bought it backnext turn for about 200,
forgot about diplomats :rolleyes:

still at least my rep went up.

Question, when do capitals stop relocating when they are captured?
Does it have to do with the AI having enough money to pay for a new palace, these fundametalists do crank out the cash
:lol:

Too high, but there is nothing I can do, they are powerful I am weak, hence the price.

ferenginar:suicide:

Instantly relocating a palace costs 1000 gold.AIs will continue to "escape" until they have less than 1000 gold left.

for the record..at 1ad I have "only" received 2 nomads and 1 advanced tribe :D

Well, I´m in the tedious part of civing right now. :eek:
The science rate has finally started to move up, but I think it will be too late. I don´t know what I did wrong in this GOTM but it will probably not be such a high score.
The world is almost fully settled now, almost 200 engineers are trying to keep up with the pace.

It somehow felt as if the discovery turn ratio was set to a lower level, as done in a scenario. We´ll see.
:D

My, we are having a lively record this game. I seem to be behind the front of the pack (I have many guards, am conservative), yet am disturbed some people are being hurt by the AI. Continuing my abbreviated record from page 1:

1650 BC, Xerxes proclaimed Shah of new Persian Monarchy! 30,00,70%
110,000 people, 5 cities, inc $5 -0, Sci 9 in 8 turns, Mfg=13, FS=8.6!

1350 BC, choose Trade over Pottery, Mysticism, Feudalism etc. Our Susa Defence Archer has become a veteran.

625 BC, built the Hanging Gardens of Pasargadae SSC. French switch to Colossus. Celts begin the Pyramids.

400 BC, built the Pyramids. The Celts and Zulus sign a secret Alliance against us, then run off. Discovered Iron Working. Choose Mathematics for Copernicus, over Literacy, Construction, Feudalism, and Polytheism, all of which we need. Building 5 Legions.

100 AD, built Copernicus. Destroyed the worrisome Celt Catapults.
970,000 people, 12 cities, $20 -6 = 14, Sci 59 in 6, Mfg=63 FS=4.0

440 AD, built Michelangelo's Chapel. French and Greeks sign peace treaty. The Greeks got Seafaring from the French, and we trade them Philosophy for it.
Founded Samaria, and began building Explorers.
1,290,000 people in 15, $24 -7 = 17, Sci 67 in 11, Mfg=75 FS=4.8

700 AD, Xerxes proclaimed Consul of new Persian Republic! 30,00,70%
And, the Celt Catapult blunders into our Archer.
2,110,000 people in 19, $51 -12 = 39, Sci 142 in 9, Mfg=102 FS=4.7

1020 AD, discovered Bridge Building. Choose Chivalry over Gunpowder, Medicine, Theology, and University -- all of which I need, and Navigation too. Our Diplomat found a Horde of 3 Barb Horsemen! They didn't attack him, he bought one.
I'm considering letting Cardiff finish Sun Tzu. But I didn't.

1200 AD, discover Gunpowder. Choose Navigation over Theology, University, Leadership and Democracy. Heavy fighting near Valencia. Barbs Crusaders land in the jungle of Arbela. Knight killed them.

1300 AD, built Magellan. Senate signs a Cease fire w the Spanish!
We buy Valencia from the Barbs for 260 gold, get 2 Archers+Diplo!
5,130,000 people in 33, $65 -32 = 33, Sci 303/4, Mfg=192 FS=4.4

1420 AD, built Bach. Moving to finishing the Spanish. 30,00,70%
5,630,000 people in 37, $110 -36 =74, Sci 301/4, Mfg=208 FS=4.8

So far, so good, but I have more army than I know what to do with. Just found a Greek, a Catapult. Searching for the Sioux and French...

I have now progressed to 480ad.The Sioux have been eliminated.French down to 2 cities.Greeks more or less untouched.

I made the switch the Republic for 60AD and immediately partially shutdown science and jacked luxuries.Been celebrating ever since.I have the neccessary tech for a finish so only Construction was needed before a complete science shutdown.Plan is simple.Attack capitols with a small groups and bribe up the rest.Reputation is so bad that I am encountering very little Senate interference(2.42)

Have added the Lighthouse,JSB,Pyramids(captured) and the Collosus(captured).

current population:11,330,000(tax 50%-lux50%)
25 techs
63 cities

offensive forces:
27 crusaders
17 dips
2 chariots :)
12 triremes

How do you guys exchange maps so easily?

I usually have to give the knowledge gifts until they are worshipful before they will exchange maps.

Are you guys really wacking out that science fast?

I usually go for... Great Library, War Academy, Leo, Magellen.

And I usually get about 5 or 6 more in addition, varying.

Is it all my wonders that make them hate me and not wanna barter with me?

And why do they sign pacts to contain my agressions when they start the wars?

yes you generally have to get them to worshipful or at least enthusiastic to share maps..but..it sounds like you have MGE.There is a "feature" in MGE that resets attitudes every turn.Civs go from worshipful>enraged in 1 turn without you doing a thing.Many players actually like the more hostile ai of MGE.You just have to play more aggressive.

You should not play the ai as individual civs to deal with in most cases.Rather,treat it as a single entity that is hell bent on destroying any civs led by organic life forms.

I wouldn't say anyone is "wacking out" the science in this one.I had "only" 22 techs at 1ad.Thats just par.Maybe under par considering I had Marco's.

And another session! :yeah:

Engineer count is up over 250, almost overrunning the first time, cities are growing and science is flowing.
It actually works quite well now, even better than some other games. But it seems that this comes several years too late. :eek:

I´m still rather confused why this game developed as it did!?

Although I already got a couple of future techs, and although my spaceship is almost arriving.....this GotM game sucks....it's far too late! Won't get many points...

Well, now it just passed 300. And I´m pretty late in the game, too late for my own standards. But I don´t want to spoil all the surprise just yet! :p

One other thing. I am not sure whether I already wrote that, but in this GOTM I didn´t just leave one purple city as the pet city. NO, I gave them (or better let them capture) a city right where I wanted it. No access to sea, easy to block and easy to take out! :yeah:

I even named the city "Pet City"!

Top Bottom