[PTW] GOTM 185 Scandinavia Regent -- Discussion and Spoilers

I've had a couple of problems today, while finishing out the game. I obviously haven't played [ptw] into the modern age for a long time.

1) I was missing the ICBMDefault.flc and copied it over from Conquests and was able to get past that problem.
icbm.jpg

2) Launched the Spaceship and then it crashed during the movie. What do I do?
ss.jpg

I was missing the ICBMDefault.flc and copied it over from Conquests and was able to get past that problem.

Well done!

Launched the Spaceship and then it crashed during the movie. What do I do?

Try again? Perhaps reboot the computer and try again? Or you could just press ESC before the film starts to skip ahead to the next stage.

I'm in 1778, and have conquered my continent, nearly all of the second continent, and am starting on the third landmass (with Germany and Russia), thinking, "man, I ought to be about 2 tiles from domination". Fired up CAII, and it says there are 1341 land tiles, with a domination limit of 1315; I have 1122 domination tiles (roughly 85% of the domination limit), and 83% of the world's citizenry.

Is something unusual going on with the domination limit?

I couldn't say. I didn't observe anything fishy or unusual. I did cover every single land and Coast tile on the home continent and the largest part of the second largest one with France, England, Spain etc. That corresponded to the Domination limit. Have you got empty spaces between cities?

I went for a 100K game and tried a somewhat unusual strategy. At first I wanted to go for the well-known recipe "expand to dom limit asap and then switch to Feudalism and pop-rush culture buildings in all those crap towns". But then I started thinking "in order for pop-rushing to be effective, the population needs to grow back quickly, so we need railroads. And if we already got that far in the tech tree, why not do Nationalism as well (perhaps even one of the scientific AIs even gets it), and then I can pop-rush via drafting? That would have two advantages: I don't need another anarchy, during which I don't earn any culture, and I can still use my cash for cash rushing as well!"

So I went ahead and implemented that strategy, and in the end I had four major sources contributing to my culture-built-up:
  1. The core towns, which already had all their culture buildings, were producing units that could be disbanded in the boondocks.
  2. All boondock-towns on a river (or which had an aqueduct when I captured them) were producing 10 food per turn, so could grow from 6 to 7 every turn thanks to the Pyramids I captured from France. So that meant one rifleman can be drafted every turn and disbanded for 20 shields. When a town had gone so unhappy from the constant drafting that it could no longer grow once per turn, I let it shrink back to size 1 and founded another town that could then take over the food-rich tiles and repeat the process.
  3. After research was turned off, I could also pour my gold into cash-rushing culture buildings. I sold all my techs to the AI, which also contributed a large portion of gpt & luxes.
  4. And finally, after all necessary irrigations and rails were finished, my large work force (mostly slaves) were busy with forestry operations, adding further shields to towns that needed them.
I have no idea, how this approach compares to the standard Feudalism approach, but the end result looked good enough to me: 100K reached in 1480 AD, which looks like a standard date for an average map like this?! The drawbacks of this approach are of course, that it can only be implemented later than the Feudalism approach and needs a bigger upfront investment into techs. And only cities at size 7 can draft, while in Feudalism you can pop-rush already at size 2. But the benefits are, that you don't need "intermediary rush targets" (especially for a 200s University it is really difficult to pop-rush this via ordinary means...!) and even towns that already have all culture buildings, can continue drafting and sending their 20s somewhere else where they are needed!

Try again? Perhaps reboot the computer and try again? Or you could just press ESC before the film starts to skip ahead to the next stage.

I tried ESC and it froze. I copy/pasted a BIK file from standard Civ3 movie folder named race (Does that mean Space Race?) into the PTW movies folder. Tried again and it froze.

Tried it a fourth time:crazyeye: and it worked!

And the victory save file has been uploaded.:)

Last edited:
Interesting 20K strategy, Lanzelot. I play far too sub-optimally to know its relative effectiveness to the traditional, but I see the logic of it.

I checked the race.bik file in VLC and it is indeed the space race one. I do recall occasionally having freezing issues with it back in the day... not sure anyone ever figured out why that happens :dunno:.

I couldn't say. I didn't observe anything fishy or unusual. I did cover every single land and Coast tile on the home continent and the largest part of the second largest one with France, England, Spain etc. That corresponded to the Domination limit. Have you got empty spaces between cities?

On the new continent, yes. Maybe I have 64% of tiles and CAII is over-reporting? It's probably time to cash-rush some buildings to fill in gaps. I miss the Victory Conditions screen from Conquests.

So, it turns out domination is working fine, I'd just underestimated how much Coast tiles were contributing towards the domination limit.

Wound up with Domination in 1802, a few turns after turning off research. I'd left it on until Amphibious War, concerned I might not be able to finish off Russia if my last two Berserks were unlucky, but they had decided to defend the one-tile island with Spearmen, so Marines were not necessary after all.

Only 7 cities remained in the world that were not in the Viking Empire; five of those were English, one Russian, and one Germany. The German one was likely to fall the next turn, and the Russian one the turn after that. At that point, we could have taken the remaining English cities within a couple turns as well.

From the replay, I learned that Rome got 3 cities before either Egypt or I had two. The war of opportunity against them where I destroyed two of their cities may have been important in slowing their momentum. I'd also forgotten just how frequently some French cities changed hands during the raiding phase; Orleans must changed hands 8 or 10 times.

Victory celebrations will be held aboard the new battleship VNS Oslo, once it returns to the Oslo Harbor from its maiden voyage.

Launched the Spaceship and then it crashed during the movie. What do I do?
That happens to me most of the time on my computer. AlanH has accepted my submissions from just prior to launch and I still get to register the win. It is frustrating, and I now just try to avoid a space ship victory if I can. Sometimes it is that or defeat.

The map was glorious. Thanks to Green Bear for assembling such an enjoyable game.
I embarked on a peaceful effort towards 20k and the Wonders just rolled in over the early years. I decided to set up my inner ring in OxxxxO fashion, but even then didn't strictlly adhere to the layout. My initial two cities are shown below. It might have been better to space a bit tighter but I thought leaving all 24 tiles open for the capital would be best in the long run. I will see what the experts did later on.
Spacing Photo.jpg

The first difficulty was iron, located fairly far to the west in what should have been Egyptian territory. I gained it by settling that distant hill and filling in the land in between. I eventually made that site my Forbidden Palace but I never really developed it very well. Regardless, it was never challenged by Egypt and slowed them down plenty.
I could not find horses nearby and needed to send a settler south to settle next to one in Roman territory. After I built a temle it was in my territory and again I filled in the space between. There was only one source of saltpeter on our continent, and it was also in Roman territory near to the horses. I built another city and temple next to it and culture bombed all the ingredients for cavalry into my empire. Several cities flipped to me around this time, and I began to wonder if I would be stronger for a 100k or a 20k victory. By the time of cavalry I was feeling very secure in victory.
ZionizedSaltpeter.jpg

My culture was dominant but despite five cities flipping to me one of mine strangely flipped to Egypt. Hmmm. Quite some turn later the good people revolted and came back to the fold.
Jerusalem.jpg

I entered the Industrial Age secure and nearly flippant. Rome declared on me for no discernible reason but that allowed me to take some of his western cities and it gained me the land on which I would eventually find both coal and rubber, I think.
EnterIndustrAge.jpg

I didn't have oil, but when I discovered its utility I was at war with a very weak Germany. I had been trying to get peace with Otto but he refused. I took this opportunity to take Leipzig and his oil. Then he settled for peace, but I had what I needed.
Finally I built the U.N. and was few turns away from a 20k victory. England declared on me, I fought her majesty off and got all the other nations to ally with me in war against her empire. The second time a U.N. vote was offered I accepted. Cleopatra ran against me and she only got one vote, her own. Everyone else voted Ragnar. Maybe I should have held on for a 20k victory, but... Game Won! I know I did it sloppy, I know I did it slow, but it was fun!
Thanks Green Bear.
DiploVic.jpg

Top Bottom