GOTM 203

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 203 (Dec 2019)

After a 1.5 year absence, we start and end 2019 in a 20x19 20x90 size world.

Civilization: 1 English settler
Starting tech: Alphabet and Bronze Working
Difficulty: Emperor
Total players: 7
Restarts: on
Barbarians: Villages (-50)
20x90 custom known map. As always, known map means you are encouraged to open the starting save in the map editor and refer to it any time you need to.

Spoiler Description of the map :

The world consists of one thick strip of land near north pole, 3 minor islands (of sizes 1, 2, and 3 with inhospitable terrain) in an ocean south of that, a slightly smaller strip of land south of the ocean, another ocean south of that, and then sparse land attached to the south pole. Human player (orange) starts on the south pole, 3 Aggressive civs (Mongols, Russians, and Vikings) are on the middle strip, and 3 Rational civs (Babylonians, Americans, and Spanish) are on the northern strip.

Deadline: 2020

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attachments

• GOTM_203.png
    GOTM_203.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 293
  • GOTM_203.sav
    39.7 KB · Views: 272
Map Analysis

The starting position has x-value of 2, cities built on the opposite sides of x=0 can share tiles. Use this to your advantage in placing your cities on the small piece of land at the starting position.

Thanks for re-starting the GOTM.

How would you suggest I look at the map, knowing I'm running the game on MacOs with no Map Editor?

I'm thinking I may use Cheat to kill every other Civilization, and then reveal the map, so as to not reveal the starting position of other civs. Would that be legit?

Per the spoilers map:
Spoiler :
I always find it funny how the custom GOTM maps, where you start on isolated islands, ALWAYS have a precisely 7-gap crossing for Triremes. Can't get across with one gamble, gotta take two... it's as annoying as it is good game design for GOTMs.

I wonder how viable rushing Seafaring is if we want to skip Lighthouse for some god-forsaken reason.

Thanks for re-starting the GOTM.
My pleasure.
How would you suggest I look at the map, knowing I'm running the game on MacOs with no Map Editor?
I'm thinking I may use Cheat to kill every other Civilization, and then reveal the map, so as to not reveal the starting position of other civs. Would that be legit?
Map Editor is a standard part of all Civ2 versions. (Mac included; I am on a Mac myself.) How come you do not have it?
My recommendation is to try and get the Map Editor. It is a useful application. Since, as far as I know, it was never sold separately you should be able to find and download it. You may also be able to find variants developed by users.

If all else fails, then use the method you came up with on a copy of the initial save so as not to corrupt your game. Do not need to kill the other civs first. The initial location of the other civs is not an issue. If you read my description of the map in the first response of this thread, you get all you need to know.

Per the spoilers map:
Spoiler :
I always find it funny how the custom GOTM maps, where you start on isolated islands, ALWAYS have a precisely 7-gap crossing for Triremes. Can't get across with one gamble, gotta take two... it's as annoying as it is good game design for GOTMs.

I wonder how viable rushing Seafaring is if we want to skip Lighthouse for some god-forsaken reason.

As you guessed, it is by design. In smaller maps it is always 7. In larger maps, where I do not have to worry about running out of room, it may even be larger.

I have to figure out how to run Civ 2 on a Mac with OS 10.15 (Catalina). So it may take a few days, unless somebody has some insights.
I have been playing Civ 6 for a while, but I can't wait to get back to the best!

I was pleasantly surprised to see a new GOTM. I was thinking about playing CIV2 just because I hadn't played for so long. Now I have a reason.

Hi there,

after some 13 years the Civ 2 virus played up again. Had been checking GOTM many years ago (don't think i ever submitted), amazing to see it is still alive!
Been playing some OCC games now, fun concept and wonderfull guide Ali!

1)-Is GOTM 203 still open? Due date 2020 seemed a bit vague to me...
2)-I'm playing with FoxAhead's CIV2UIA to be able to play on windows 10. However the mapeditor doesn't work. Is there any fix for this? Can't find any.
3)-I can't find any results past GOTM 177. Where to look?
PS:
4)-Edit: 100BC: I die... LoL

Cheers Zjelco

Last edited:
Hi there,

after some 13 years the Civ 2 virus played up again.

This strange phenomenon has been known to happen : ).

2)-I'm playing with FoxAhead's CIV2UIA to be able to play on windows 10. However the mapeditor doesn't work. Is there any fix for this? Can't find any.

One approved solution i have read is to create a completely separate save in 4000 bc to be used specifically for the open map. Use cheat mode, delete the foreign civs then reveal entire map and save it.

3)-I can't find any results past GOTM 177. Where to look?

Hopefully you will find the following link helpful: https://forums.civfanatics.com/search/107202381/?q=spoiler&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=30 . It was a special search of the word "spoiler" within titles, specifically within the Civ 2 Gotm forum.

Also i have played several GOTM's over the past year or so and the following is a link to the history of my posts, many of which are GOTM spoilers and several of which were One City Games. https://forums.civfanatics.com/search/107203364/ . I didn't get the friendly AI patch (FoxAhead's CIV2UIA) for my Multi Gold Version until fairly recently (about 7 months ago), at which point my one city game became significantly stronger since the patch opened up the new capacity for alliances and the accompanying financial gifts.

4)-Edit: 100BC: I die... LoL.

Sorry to hear : ). According to what i have seen Ali state, you could (if you wanted) play and log one or more additional games. Not for submission, but for comparison.

Cheers Zjelco

Cheers

Last edited:
It's a shame these came to an end! These days I'm helping @The_J to share GOTM's out across social media putting thousands of extra eyes on them. Would have been cool to send some Civ2 ones out there and I didn't even realise these were still happening even up to 2020.
Sadly I lack the time to take over this particular part of @ali-ardavan 's duties but if anyone else wants to have a go then please let me or other CFC staff know and we'll see what we can arrange! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom