1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GotM 22

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Smash, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Jayne

Jayne Chieftain

I think something like an OCC-only game in the run up to Christmas is a great idea. :goodjob:

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

How about a human-pledge-no-wonders game, or AI starts with Monarchy?

Or to completely toss the GOTM rules, how about a single game where you can retry every hut to your hearts content? We could see if anyone can break any records for fastest conquest or spaceship...

Seriously, I'd like to see a bit more advantage given to the AI, but still make sure new players can join the GOTM challenges. Suprises in maps or rules (like the fundy-only game, or RingWorld!) help to bring out neglected aspects of the game. And its fun to see how the experts handle them (compared to my bumbling around!).

My only problem with OCC was how vital record-keeping and checking everything before each end-of-turn was. Making sure of exactly how many beakers are needed vs already researched, changing tax/sci rates each turn, and checking AI attitudes took up about 90% of my playing time each turn. I don't think I saved much time doing GOTM21 as OCC, even on such a small map...

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Oedo turns are the special turns on which government changes will actually take effect. Every four turns from the beginning of the game is an Oedo turn: 3850, 3650, 3450, etc. If you change your government at the end of the turn before, or "discover" the new government tech between the turn before and the Oedo turn, you can switch with minimal loss of production or taxes due to anarchy. That's all.

There's a list of CIV2 terms compiled by Starlifter here:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=324457#post324457

Here's Starlifter's GOTM "rules":
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27238

Welcome to CFC and GOTM!

4. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Can one of you layabout wastrels get off your er, bottoms and start a spoiler thread for GotM 22!
    I need my fix of laughing at the blunders and being jealous of the lucky breaks you guys get! :(

5. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I second that.
    It is amazing how much different you can make the game by just changing the map. The so called random map generator is anything but random.
    I have played on my own real Archipelago maps and I can tell you it is a different challenge.

6. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

For my style of play, islands are not much of a challenge for survival -- I like having the safe haven, size for a half dozen to a dozen real cities, and knowing that the AI will be unlikely to bother the core of my empire. The challenge to me in is finishing quickly -- I’m not sure that I’m any faster with a pangea than islands -- in fact, I may be slower, even though I get my boats in the water waaaaaay too late as it is.:o

7. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

Here I am as Devil's advocate again ;)

The problem you have to be careful of with maps is the AI needs lots of green area to do half ass.If you go for a map with islands,bad terrains etc,it generally hurts the AIs more than the human player.

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I like the idea of all AI starting way ahead, a map with islands or island continents (instead of one big blob).

My suggestion is limit the # of cities the human can build. Say 5 on the original continent and 5 on other lands. This would make the game less of a micro-management challange and more of a true planner and builder's game (or a conqueror's game).

In recent games I've been playing in the style of Smash (building tons and tons of cities close together) but ideally I'd prefer fewer but better.

- Narz :king:

9. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

I suppose that the major downside of having a limit to the number of cities allowed is that it will make conquest games much longer. Did I say downside? That's a great thing! :D
    You have to be really patient to win by OCC conquest, especially if you haven't got armies of spies to poison the cities' water supplies, so being unable to take another city would be a good check on those who always charge after conquest. :goodjob:

10. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Same goes with my style of play. But things change dramatically when islands are so small they can only support 1 city. That is what I mean by a true Archipelago: plenty of small islands none of which can support more than one city.

You are absolutely right. The Map editor will even give you a warning to that effect if the number of islands goes beyond 64. But my experience has shown that even below that in a true Archipalego the AI is crippled and the barbarians are more of a military threat to you than the AI. It will take the AI ages to leave their home island. This, combined with the fact that the map is known, makes conquest pointless. To be truly challenged you have to go for a Space Ship victory. If we ever decide to play on such a map, and I hope we do, that is the only rule we need: No victory by Conquest allowed, but you are allowed to conquer as many of the AIs as you wish (save one of course). No reason to limit the number of cities, or anything else. It will not only be a challenge, but also brings out aspects of the game you are not accustomed to.

11. kotycha

kotycha Chieftain

Question: Whom should I sent my GotM22 result?

12. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Ooooo, pick me, please pick me......

Send them to DoM@Civfanatics.net