GotM 22

Smash

Super Lurker
Retired Moderator
oops.Sorry folks.GtA3 has got the better of me right now ;)

Here we go:

Emporer level
60x70 map
7 civs(no restart)
1 settler
no extra techs
Frederick of the Germans

zip

When you pop the hut, wait for the 3850bc turn, the chances of getting a 2-movement unit increases that turn for some reason. Also the chance of getting an advanced tribe is trippled. BUT to get an advanced tribe you need must have another city built.

Wow! Where are these exciting speculations supported? I remember at Apolyton some studies about increased chances of getting an advanced tribe or a nomad if there was no settler on the same continent, but I don't remember that the 3:1 ratio had been discovered. And the 2-move chance is brand-new news. Tell us more!

When you pop the hut, wait for the 3850bc turn, the chances of getting a 2-movement unit increases that turn for some reason. Also the chance of getting an advanced tribe is trippled. BUT to get an advanced tribe you need must have another city built.

Now you tell me! :mad: This is why I don't like huts! Civ should be a pure skill game not a matter of knowing all the little intricacies and in's and out's of the so-called random factors! I vote GOTM 23 : no huts.

In the meantime though I will play this one it, its fun so far! :)

- Narz :king:

Emperor level! Good! Methinks I've been playing on King level too much. This should be a good challenge! :mischief:

I tend to agree with Narz. This is a game to be played, not an event to be studied.

Not another game with restarts off! :(

Please please please have restarts on in a game soon so I can compare my Playstation quick conquest skills against the PC greats! :) Plus it really annoys them to have restarts on (;)) and should mean that those who actually bother to build a civ will do better overall than those who go all-out conquest, which due to the scoring system has long been the easiest way to do well in the GotM. If you have restarts on next month then I won't mind at all if you have bloodlust on for the month after! :) Because you always have to consider my feelings when you create a GotM. :lol:

Am I the only one who likes to last the full length of the civilization, carefully planning cities subverting enemies and generally living a peaceful exsistance.

The next GOTM shlould include a bonus score for population, +/10,00,000 of the pop. ie. so 320,000,000 is 32 bonus points etc.

I hate these conquest maps sometimes, makes me feel as if I have only done half a job.

Well I just tested it and noticed that in 3850bc I got more horses, chariots and tribes. That's all I'm afraid. I have not noticed this in any other turn....

Originally posted by Boli
Am I the only one who likes to last the full length of the civilization, carefully planning cities subverting enemies and generally living a peaceful exsistance.

How 'bout a serious "non-violent" challenge? Let's have a GOTM in which we try to win the space race with a spotless reputation, and without ever building a unit that has a higher attack than defense value. (Only defensive units)

Yeah, it's tough. Anybody up to the challenge?

I've gone to the extreme and won as high as Prince level not only playing defensively, but also without ever firing a shot at anyone, not even at barbarians, and with no cheats or reloads.

The problem with restarts is you pretty much take conquest out of the picture.

You don't have to go a fighting.You are free to build up a civ.The reason we stick to smaller/ish maps is due to player's time constraints.Too many just could not finish larger maps and maintain a "real" life.

I agree, it is something new. I am for it for the next GOTM - no capture of the foreign cities allowed. Once in the life to play peacefull game. It can be funny.

We could do a space race only game I spose.

I can not handle a lack of violence. But I do like lots of cities. I'm a peaceful, managerial kind of killer.

I like the suggestion to play a game with restarted civs. And Islands, most often, rather than pangea.

How about giving the AI a head start? If it's a map where the human starts on an island we could put a savegame up at (for example) 1000BC, with the AI civs already building their empire for 3000 years. Could be a bit difficult so I think it shouldn't be a very high difficulty game.

I used to play civ1 this way for some time, acting as a respawned civ (I even became a rebel civ this way once, when an AI civ's empire was split and I got half of its cities, and retained my starting settler as well at the other side of the world :crazyeye: ).

Come to think of it, it might give some problems with the score formula though...

I recall posting a bunch of suggestions -- (all still apply). I think that the variety & surprise is still great; is the group up to a Warlord, moderately smallish map (but size isn’t that important) ….but only one city each? :eek: Might make for a faster set of games for the holiday season; set the cutoff for December 20 or so & let DoM have a holiday, too. :lol:

One idea I have considered is to just press enter until,say,1ad or so.That would give the AI a decent head start while keeping a normal game with "random" tech choices.

EMPEROR????!! I am sooooo toast! Oh wait, not Deity! Well I dont think I have ever finished an Emperor game either this could be a short game for me :) For some reason my units like to wander all over and leave the cities undefended ...Oh well. Good luck y'all! Some of you are still speaking greek to me by the way....Oedo turns??? Sasebo :)

How about giving the AI a head start? If it's a map where the human starts on an island we could put a savegame up at (for example) 1000BC, with the AI civs already building their empire for 3000 years. Could be a bit difficult so I think it shouldn't be a very high difficulty game.

I used to play civ1 this way for some time, acting as a respawned civ (I even became a rebel civ this way once, when an AI civ's empire was split and I got half of its cities, and retained my starting settler as well at the other side of the world :crazyeyes: ).

I always used to that too (start as a respawned Civ). I used to have fun attempting to conquer the world as a restarted Civ in Australia (on the Earth map). I usually succeeded!

- Narz :king:

Top Bottom