GOTM 33 has arrived

If you played that far, I think DoM would appreciate you submitting your saves anyway. It helps balance all those over-achievers like Smash and La Fayette - and gives heart to other new players that feel intimidated.

Just from what little I tried, the terrain was especially difficult and the other civs harder to reach than the normal GOTM, particularly for One City Challenge. If you want a good OCC game, try GOTM31. Otherwise, join us again for #34 next month, even if it does not have a great OCC spot. Sometimes you have to adapt your strategies to the situation...

Originally posted by Tanstaafl
My OCC game got me killed off in the late 1880's when one of the last three civ's killed me off despite all attempts at peace and alliance. I will try the Apolyton games and see what happens.
Thanks.

Take heart as what you experienced has happened to the best not least of which was Paul (the great originator of the first definitive OCC strategy OCCers reverently call the "Paulicy" coined by tonic) in one of the OCC fortnight comparison games. So luck certainly features!

If you can contact the AI civs early in the game (the earlier the better) then it's much easier to form friendly relations with and get profitable gold from them.

Keep following the strategy and you'll definitely make it!

The secrets of OCC success:
- Great location (high-trade specials, grass and/or rivers, ocean access);
- Key Wonders: Copernicus, Newtons, Shakespeares, Colossus, Marco Polo (my personal prioritization; build order depends on techs and production);
- Diplomacy: early contact (before the wars start) and frequent tech-gifting, primarily for pacification (especially Republic), lowering KeyCiv tech penalties, alliances and map exchange (Marco Polo is a big boon to this);
- Tech Path: plan ahead, Early Republic if possible, early Trade, avoid off-path techs, attempt to bypass early techs with 2nd generation (ie. skip Horse, get Wheel);
- Complete Terrain Maximization: purchase two foreign Engineers in the midgame, transform all minimal terrain (Mountain, Glacier, Tundra) for maximum trade and food, add Forests and/or Mined Hills in late game for SpaceShip production;
- Careful play... and a bit of luck.

Oh, I forgot: play Classic/2.42; diplomacy with the AI in MultiPlayer Gold is much more difficult, and "attitude adjustment" does not last as long...

just finished game 33 took out every one even restarts in 1778 ad is that good? FIRST GAME OF MONTH

double production double moves no respawns deity level raging barbs best game conquest is 500 b.c.

Is it OK if I send my game in 1 or 2 days late? Or do I really have to send it today? Because I had a lot of other obligations I haven't been able to play much on this game, so I'm afraid I won't be able to finish it today. :(

Nice win, Old n Slow! Congratulations!

And Grigor made about the fastest conquest possible with restarts on at Emperor.

Zenon

Yeah, I found out independently that the cutoff date for restarts at this map size on Emperor was 1770, but I got sloppy on the actual conquest and lost a turn. Actually, I was about 20 turns slower than LaFayette in wiping out all the AI at once. I still have lots of work to do streamlining my conquest technique in the middle ages.

But Zenon, your arrival date is unbelievable! you could have done 28 turns of score-building and still gotten the earliest landing....

Hey Duke, my score cant be right, I won by conquest. Perhaps i should send u my saves again...

Originally posted by theSith
Hey Duke, my score cant be right, I won by conquest. Perhaps i should send u my saves again...

I have them. Conquest in 1871. I think I put your name on someone else's score and forgot yours. Let me check on it.

Ah, yes, the score under your name should be for sideshowbob.

Here's a corrected results page:

Thanks for letting me know. :goodjob:
I'll send TF the updated one for the site as well.

Hi, my score is probably correct, but it is in red (it should be black and blue;)). But I didn't play it as an OCC. I had at least two cities at some point, maybe three, can't remember, but the barbarians got so badly at me so I thought it best to finnish the game with only one city, but it wasn't an OCC...

I think the zenon has Merlin working for him -- how else to explain a spaceship in 1054 AD??!! :eek:

Top Bottom