GOTM 35 Pre-Game Discussion

ainwood said:
Its normal, temperate, 4-billion, 70% Ocean. Land form is 'interesting'. :hmm:

Oh, i hope we don't play island map again... :sad:

Considering the nice starting position and killer UU that Ainwood is giving us, I expect the difficulty level to be ratcheted up quite a bit. This may be that deity game that a few folks have been itching for.

If this will really be a deity game, this will be my first try on that level! Well, at least industrious and scientific are my favorite traits. Sipahi rocks, and if I can get enough of the upper research path techs in MA before using them, Golden Age would still be boosting production when building factories - if I can survive that long...

Good morning, [subliminal]level?[/subliminal] Ainwood.

Can I get you anything? [subliminal]level?[/subliminal] Cup of coffee? [subliminal]level?[/subliminal] Donuts?

Monarch?----

Interesting, eh? Probably chained islands with lots of land bridges, including several AI starting locations placed strategically on chokepoints.

Well, I've been thinking long and hard about the difficulty. I have been trying it on two varying levels, trying to decide what to release it on.

I am very conscious that over the last few months we seems to be in an 'emperor / monarch' oscillation, with the exception of last month where we threw in a regent game.

I was seriously considering a one-off warlord game, but in my opinion, this didn't allow best use of the Ottoman UU, which, again in my opinion, rocks! However, I think that an emperor (or deity) game isn't the right balance either. So we are going to play Monarch again - which I hope people aren't too sick of.

Monarch???!!!

Strongest players will probably finish this game with knights, even befor MT is discovered, not me of course, i will probably go all the way until tanks are available :rolleyes: ...

Well, we shall see how it goes...

so do we play continents this time again?

Actually I like Monarch difficulty the best. Emperor and Diety are good challenges, but I usually feel more comfortable playing Monarch and it certainly gives me more options when I play 5CC (a space win on Diety would be extremely hard.) Sure, the elites may not get to enjoy the Sipahi but the bulk of us will get to play with our shiny toy. :) And who knows? Maybe this unusual landmass will slow the All-Stars down some. If Ainwood says that Emperor with the Ottomans and what looks like a good start position may be too tough, well something is up and I'm betting it's the landmass. :hmm:

ainwood said:
So we are going to play Monarch again - which I hope people aren't too sick of.
I don't know who people are, but Megalou is indeed sick of it... he wants to take on the gods! he wants to rule the universe and aaaall alternative universes. You shall bow before him, you simple monarchs of mortality.

The game plan from cracker's time said 1-2 deity games per year.

Megalou said:
There certainly will be Deity games, and I have one planned. There will also be COTM deity games as well.

Pleasing everyone in terms of setting the difficulty level is not easy (and I need to make it easy enough so that I can play test it without getting smoked ;))

Are you suggesting that I'm making the predator level a bit too easy? Would you like to try this game sans the industrious trait? :mischief:

Megalou said:

They were always with a very favourable start though, IIRC. I hope ainwood is equally kind when we get one as I need all the help I can get when playing diety :)

ainwood said:
There certainly will be Deity games, and I have one planned. There will also be COTM deity games as well.

Pleasing everyone in terms of setting the difficulty level is not easy ...
No worries, mate. Quoting cracker was not meant as a criticism, just a plain quote.
ainwood said:
Are you suggesting that I'm making the predator level a bit too easy? Would you like to try this game sans the industrious trait? :mischief:
:sad: No, just on deity. But I'm also getting suspicious about the landmass now.

Does anybody considered moving Settler SW? It would maintained all important benefits as well as it would allowed more space for further cities on this river. If we are positioned significantly north on the map, if the map is small, or if it is archipelago, I believe it can be justified.

So: monarch level with a benign looking start spot. Sounds simple.
Or is this "interesting" landform going to be a problem?

I quite fancy a simple game, as I have been learning bad habits by playing civ and a lot of civ2 recently.

In recent games on Monarch, it has appeared better to conquer with knights, rather than research mil trad, but this would be a pity considering the strength of the Ottoman UU.

I agree that a deity game seems overdue. But a warlord game is even more overdue.

ainwood, please don't remove the industrious trait!:( Boost AI to Emperior.

I made some map images and it seems to me there are another 2 wheats near starting point:

Attachments

• Add02.JPG
    Add02.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 342
I cannot see anything else either. But I plan on settling E and moving my worker directly to the wheat to irrigate it for growth on turn 7. If my worker sees something else when he gets on the wheat, I might adjust position the capital position accordingly. The forest is a nice to have, but since we have 4BG, it may not be necessary and I might cut it to get a granary faster (I will evaluate this).

On monarch level, defensive bonus for the capital is not an issue: no enemy attack force will get near it anyway. Another easy GOTM, unless ainwood has something up his sleaves! Maybe I can break the 10000 Jason score barrier this time, as I had over 9000 in the last GOTM & COTM. I was hoping for an emperor level game though.

And yes, I hope to win before MT, unless the landmass slows me down too much. I often research TW second after pottery to know where horses are and trade for IW, but since Ainwood sometimes put resources in places where we need to fight for it (or we have to be very fast with our settlers), I am not sure I will be patient enough...

How about a slightly modified Monarch, just slightly harder? Like maybe start Open class with 0 gold, or modify the AI bonuses just a little bit(extra settler or worker or something).

Top Bottom