GOTM 35 Pre-Game Discussion

AlanH said:
Don't forget that irrigation won't run through a hill city (not in 1.29, anyway). Though as we are industrious we can irrigate in 2 turns, right?
I remember that from the Korean GOTM - but I thought it was something to do with rivers across a corner when you were on a hill?

To make it fair for all, I've now changed the river route.:)

Well, that's now a real nice location (at least until the next change ;) ).
I will settle east. Irigate the wheat as soon as feasible (have to analyse if there will be a road on a BG first).

Edit: At least it was a nice position in the two minutes I could see the new picture, now it's gone for me too.

I hope I've edited the picture links and files correctly. The image should now show up OK in both posts.

It changes everything :hmm:

ainwood said:
I remember that from the Korean GOTM - but I thought it was something to do with rivers across a corner when you were on a hill?
Nope! Nothing to do with corners. Water just doesn't flow uphill in 1.29. I suspect Firaxis broke it in PTW if it's different.

To make it fair for all, I've now changed the river route.:)
Thanks! I had worked out a superbly optimised (for me) worker sequence to get the wheat irrigated exactly as the city expanded. Back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

I agree with klarius, settling east allows the wheat to be irrigated straight off and gives at least 4 BGs. I was getting very confused reading the earlier posts as I never saw the original starting picture!

klarius said:
My tentative sequence is:
Settle NE, worker N to road and irrigate BG.
Worker brings irrigation and road to wheat via BG, then back via the roads to mine the BGs.
Again plain grass irrigation doesn't help for a long time so irrigating and then mining the BGs is no big loss. But having roads on these tiles saves several worker turns and also gives some commerce.
A second worker early doesn't seem appropriate. We need the population in the capital for shield production to get a granary soon. The one industrious worker can catch up with growth after the initial irrigation action.
Yeah! I had all that worked out in detail and was about to post when I saw that Ainwood had moved the goalposts. If you roaded the first BG you could get the wheat irrigated just in time for turn 11 when the city expanded. The extra gpt from the road more than made up for the one turn delay moving the settler in my book. I was going to leave the second irrigated tile unroaded to save a turn and meet the turn 11 deadline. So that tile would have been a plain grass, to be left irrigated for later use. All wasted mental effort now, of course :rolleyes:

I also agree that a settler comes ahead of a worker, since our first worker is such an industrious little guy.

Whether the settler should be moved towards the wheat is largely dependant on the er, difficulty level [nudge nudge]. If only one citizen is born content rapid growth could be less valuable.

With all the gold around I might start researching the wheel. Would be nice to get a monopoly on that + building chariots rather than warriors.

Ed: Good point about the forest. It might also have game.

I'd love to know what difficulty level this will be on as well, but I don't think this decision depends on it.

Whether you move or not you will reach pop 2 at some point during the first ten turns. When you do, if the second citizen costs a gpt to keep happy, he can earn it from a road/river tile while he produces shields. After ten turns the wheat is in range anyway. So you're looking at a difference of 3 or 4 turns tops, after which the move becomes history.

I think the decision to move depends purely on the shield and gold production you can achieve using the two alternatives, and how quickly you can turn out a settler, and which of those factors is more important to your objective.

Personally, I'll go for an earlier settler if I can achieve it by moving, and the higher the level the harder I'll look for a way to do it.

Well... yes. Early settler could be really useful if there is a food bonus near the gold. I did not mean that difficulty level was the main factor.

I've never tried a OCC, but if that IS a lux in the fog, then a move one south would make a real nice spot for one. With the wheat, lux and 2 golds, on a river, with tons of production after the hospital goes in.

Even for a regular game, moving south would still be decent even with the loss of one BG. In either case (S or E), I would move the worker SE, road and then go to wheat to irrigate/road, then back to the roaded BG to mine.

If we really are the Ottomans this looks like a really nice start for a 5CC Space attempt. I'd choose Xevious' to the south as it is a really great spot for the capitol and frees up some really nice land to the north and east for cities 2 and 3. My first science goals would be the Wheel and Iron Working to ensure I get one of those two resources. I'll probably stick with my Conquest strategy for the first half or more of the game to thin out the competition and then use my forces to ensure noone else gets a ship launched. Of course, this will be dependant on the difficulty. A Diety Space might be a bit too much. Monarch however....

ainwood said:
I haven't doctored the image, so we are NOT expansionist. The trait that is probably of most interest is 'industrious', so if you do decide to settler near the wheat, then you should be able to get it irrigated fairly quickly.
Ainwood didn't doctor the image. Did anybody else notice that there look like there is only one little white bar there? (i.e. no starting worker!) Maybe it is the image for the predator save file.

ainwood said:
Well, I was toying with moving the river elsewhere, but then the irrigation sequences for Civ / PTW players were still too different. I had wanted the players to choose between the river and the hill (defence) and the wheat. Now you get all three! :mad:
We have a settler factory for any of the suggested moves (NE, E, SW, etc.) or in place. As was discussed in the COTM04 pregame, moving away from a sure thing would make no sense. As ainwood noted, we get to choose what we want our capital will look like in terms of terrain and resources and still keep the factory.

Settle in place:
Pros: Defense, 2Gold, 5BG, Wheat and one turn head start
Cons: need to irrigate G or BG, no forest

Move NE:
Pros: 1 Gold, 5BG, Wheat, Forest
Cons: 1t delay, lose 1G, lose Def Bonus, need to irrigate G or BG

Move E:
Pros: 4BG, Wheat, Forest, can irrigate Wheat directly
Cons: 1t delay, lose 1BG, lose 2Gold, lose Def Bonus

Move SW:
Pros: 2Gold, 4BG, Wheat, Forest with Dyes
Cons: 1t delay, lose 1BG, lose Def Bonus, need to irrigate G or BG

As I look at the above, I am not sure which I would choose. The Def Bonus and gold are low priority to me. I think the difficulty and the existance of a starting worker might play into the decision (i.e. if no worker then E move might get us going a little faster).

We need more information.

ainwood, do you care to comment on us having a starting worker? :p

The image reads: Settler mass production. Lots of roads & mines, and smaller towns.

That's probably how I would start. Not really caring about where the civilisation is expanding to, as long as it's expanding at full throttle. Small towns live well on sods of grass, yummy stuff! :)

dvandenberg said:
Ainwood didn't doctor the image. Did anybody else notice that there look like there is only one little white bar there? (i.e. no starting worker!) Maybe it is the image for the predator save file.
Its just poor resolution on the picture. All classes get a worker. :)

BTW- the suspicions are correct: We are playing as the Ottomans.

I think what I'd wait for is the map attributes. If it's warm/arid then I might go for a few cities in that small oasis-style area, considering other towns outside of what can be seen will have little food to work on.

Top Bottom