GOTM 35 Spoiler 2: Entering the Industrial Age

PTW 1.27, Open class

I want to give kudos to the designers of this game -- it had a number of unusual elements that made it a blast to play. I had a great time, even if things did get sloppy for a while. Okay, for a couple of whiles. :)

Bottom line: domination victory in 880 AD, still in the middle ages. In game score was 6470, Jason score was 10176.

War summary:
30 BC: declared on Carthage
Late 200s AD: Got a *defensive* leader from an elite horse playing zone defense near Sabratha. (Most of my cities were empty of defenders for most of the game, and the horses were nearly useless on city attack.) I rushed the FP in Carthage with it -- not something I'd planned for at all! See below.
320 AD: made temporary peace with Carthage, leaving them with three towns: Sabratha, whatever-the-heck that town was west of Leptis Magna, and Oea, up in the tundra. Stacked about 20 obsolete units in Leptis Magna to try to prevent flippage (that town I can't remember the name of was Carthage's new capital!) and sent my new knights down to Zululand. (Change of plans -- had originally intended to attack Arabia next. It was Arabia's lack of useful-to-me luxes vis-a-vis Zululand that changed my mind. Luxes were a major problem for me midgame.)
About 350 AD: Zululand sneak-attacked while I was fretting about needing to wait another 8 turns for our ROP to expire. Wheeee, thank you Shaka!
430 AD and 510 AD: Two more great leaders showed up and were used to rush Leo's (score!) and Sun Tzu's (meh. but at least no one else had it). Somewhere in here, Oea flipped to me, leaving Carthage with only two cities. Yet another thing that surprised the heck out of me, but shouldn't have, in this case, given Carthage's complete cultural pitiful-ness. They were even worse-off than me.
About 650 AD: Re-declared on Carthage. I had Sipahis by this point, and got my golden age with a victory down in Zululand. Cash-flow was awesome; I didn't even need to save up to do the upgrades, and I could do 4-turn research towards Astronomy and Navigation at no more than 30% science.
660 AD: Carthage dead, declared on Arabia.
720 AD: Bye-bye Zulus. Starting rushing libraries and settlers like mad to fill in the empty space.
730 AD: So long Arabia.
750 AD: Got all my ducks in a row and my Sipahi in position to cut luxes, and declared on Greece.
800 AD: Declared on England so I could go grab their little island to the west of Zululand. Started paying *slightly* more attention to homeland defense. This means I left my last four or five Sipahi on the home continent instead of sending them to the galleys. Or maybe they were caravels by then.
810 AD: Into the home stretch. Greece was dead, resisters were being supressed, libraries were being tossed up left and right, and settlers were settling. I was starting to run out of things to do with all my money. :) Caravels were loaded in southwestern Greece and eastern Zululand over the next couple of turns and set sail for France and England (the latter having to wait about a turn for navigation).
880 AD: Victory! Military advisor says my military consists of 49 Sipahi, about 20 caravels and one lonely warrior, who'd been hanging out on that inaccessible mountain range on the Carthage coast suppressing barbs for about 1000 years.

T'was a blast, truly. :)

Things I'm proud of myself for doing right:

Primarily the naval movement. I'm usually pretty pitiful in co-ordination of naval and land units. This time I had the right number of boats in the right place within a turn or two of the right times, although I can't really claim credit on getting navigation right when I did as opposed to ten turns earlier or later. I also prioritized the disconnecting of resources when attacking each opponent (except the Zulu, whose resources were fairly inaccessible -- there I prioritized getting luxes for myself) to a greater extent than I've done before, and found it very powerful, especially in the slow Carthage war. The Numids were so tough that if I'd had to face a counterattack with stronger units than archers and warriors, I'd have been in trouble. As it was, I could tromp about with impunity, and I could afford to leave even nearby cities completely empty, knowing they couldn't be reached.

Things that worked out well, but not through my own doing:
The great leaders, of course. As I mentioned in the previous thread, I completely forgot to build a Forbidden Palace the whole BC period. Once I finally remembered, I was already at war, and couldn't really afford to donate one of my most productive cities to it. I finally compromised on building it in Uskudar, a plains city east of Sogut with fairly low corruption, but it was ungodly slow -- would've taken about 20 turns. I then got the leader with Uskudar still five turns short of completion. The FP went in Carthage, which I'd captured maybe five or ten turns earlier, and gave me a very nice (about 30 or 40% IIRC) boost in cash & science. None of the Carthage cities had been starved (see aforementioned Carthage lack of bothersome culture), so they were able to be productive quite rapidly, particularly Carthage itself and Leptis Magna. And the cash-flow impact of that area by the end of the game was huge.

Things I had problems with:

Happiness/luxes during the Carthage war. It was a slog, and war weariness was pretty bad. I was able to trade for wines from Greece for one 20-turn cycle, but I forgot how the renegotiate deals thing worked, and lost them after that, never to get them back until I captured them myself. Zululand never did build a harbor or hook up the necessary roads to let me trade with them, Arabia had nothing I needed, and England didn't explore that last little strip of sea between them and Greece until after the Carthage war was over. (And even at that point I somehow missed the trading opportunity until it was too late and everything was already taken.) I was finally able to trade for the Vikings' two luxes very late in the game when their trading partners had been eliminated. I had more riots during the Carthage war than I'd like to think about; I also forgot about the manage-happiness option in the governor settings. Actually I forgot that there was a governor at all. :)

As I said up top, though -- very fun game. I loved how the map gave with one hand (food and lux right nearby at the start, plenty of iron, rivers for cash, Sipahi!) and took away with the other (horses miles away, Carthage and their Numids on a freaking hill ;) , the isthmus that I never found, the difficulty of getting productive coastal cities).

So kudos again to the designers, and major kudos to everyone who played so well. Some of the game descriptions are amazing.

Renata

I was still trying to continue the games without Palace moves and RoP abuse just to see is it indeed possible to get the decent score. I also tried to minimise resource connection-disconnection in this game. Actually, must say, it was OK. Sipahi are so powerful that they are not needed in extreme numbers on that difficulty level. Usually maximum 4 units per city is certianly enough. I also played very fast thanks to great MapStat utility in only two playing sessions with total time slightly over 13 hours iirc.

During the Ancient Age I expanded similar to like zamit3 described and then built libraries and marketplaces everywhere and researched to Military Tradition at 4-5 turn rate while accumulating some horsemen. I built Forbidden Palace in an RCP 6 city to north-west of Sogut and never moved neither Palace nor FP. Upgraded only few of horsemen to Sipahi around 100-150AD and attacked Carthage to trigger Golden Age. With this nice income boost, it was quite possible to upgrade 4-5 horsemen per turn. I then got a leader and rushed Leonardo's (hand-built Sun Tsu's). Since Carthage had Pyramids, this grealty boosted the growth. I then continued to advance against Zulu and researched to Navigation to trade for luxuries with France and Vikings. At the same time, Sipahi landed and attacked Arabia which has fallen in 3 turns and then attacked Greece. Zulu campain yeilded another leader which was used to rush Bach's again to increase the happiness. This allowed to irrigate all terrain in corrupt cities and get a relatively good score. The game was finished by attacking France a few turns after the Golden Age finished and Domination was triggered in 570AD yeilding a very decent Jason's score of slightly above 11K.

Overall, I think that Palace jump either free or with a leader can be completely ignored and still the result can be more or less OK. :)

Scientific Predator

I agree akots. Palace jump and massive ROP abuse gives advantages, but not necessarily huge ones. Partly it depends on the map and the difficulty level, but even in the worst cases it's not as if simply doing one of those things will magically turn a middle-of-the-road scorer into a top ten finisher.

That said, I don't like either of them. :)

Renata

akots said:
I was still trying to continue the games without Palace moves and RoP abuse just to see is it indeed possible to get the decent score.

I didn't do this and I did win in 810 AD with a Firaxis score of 6999 & a Jason score of 10681.

I've never done the "Palace Junp".

And I just never thought of the RoP abuse, that would have saved maybe 5-10 turns.

Originally I didn't want to play this month, but the Ottoman UU, the Sipahi are such an awesome unit, so I had to try an early domination victory.

The goal: Fast research to military tradition and domination before 500 AD:

The start was OK, I researched republic in 1025BC immediately switched government and had only 3 turns of anarchy.
My free tech was bad luck, I got monotheism, no help at all. Greece got engineering, at least something. In 190 AD I researched military tradition and started the war against Carthago.

With my golden age I could upgrade 3 horsemen to Sipahi per turn.

It took my untill 330AD to have all upgraded.

The wars itself went relatively uneventfull: Carthago, Zulu, Arabia and Greece fell without problems.
The last continent could not be reached safely because London Had built the Lighthouse, so I had to chain sail a few sipahis across, took London, everything else went very smoothly

At the end I missed my goal by 5 turns, but I am nevertheless quite happy with the result (If I had gotten feudalsim instead of monotheism, I would have made it)

Fun game

Ronald

PTW 1.27 Open

I played the ancient ages without a plan, but by the start of the middle ages I'd tentatively settled on taking the continent and then heading for diplomacy or space. I researched chivalry to help encourage myself to war earlier.

While preparing to go to war with Carthage, I get attacked by the Zulus. This goes nowhere and we quickly make peace. Then I declare on Carthage and get Zululand to agree to an alliance. It runs out while Carthage still has a few cities left, and I don't bother to renew it. Then, with 2 Carthaginian cities left, the Zulus attack. This looks like a huge disaster, as I have minimal forces in position to deal with them. I've just learned MT but I have few sipahi and the Zulu now have my horses. I stop playing for a long time.

When I finally get back to the game, I decide to let them have a couple of cities, reinforce a little farther back, and try to hold on until they will talk. This works, and they only take one other city. I pay 50 g for peace, finish wiping out Carthage, and build sipahi (and a couple of cities in spaces the Zulu have left empty) for 20 turns. After our peace agreement expires, I declare again. During this war I enter the industrial ages.

akots said:
I was still trying to continue the games without Palace moves and RoP abuse just to see is it indeed possible to get the decent score
Overall, I think that Palace jump either free or with a leader can be completely ignored and still the result can be more or less OK. :)
I agree. I don't think Palace jumps are game altering, though they are stronger now that we know that the destination can be controlled with military units. It still I think requires a suitable map to make a Palace jump worthwhile. (Unless the Palace rank bug is used of course.) On this map I didn't try for one, didn't try hard and didn't see a good place to jump until it would no longer be a good thing to do.

ROP abuse is harder to quantify. I haven't used it in a very long time. I'm not sure if it could gain as much as 5 turns toward conquest or domination. I guess the gain depends on whether other Civs have met. If they haven't then it can be done more than once, perhaps gaining a few turns each time? Or is there a trick for doing it more than once even if they have met? I think I saw a note about that once.

SirPleb said:
ROP abuse is harder to quantify. I haven't used it in a very long time. I'm not sure if it could gain as much as 5 turns toward conquest or domination. I guess the gain depends on whether other Civs have met. If they haven't then it can be done more than once, perhaps gaining a few turns each time? Or is there a trick for doing it more than once even if they have met? I think I saw a note about that once.
There are lots of really fast ways to use the ROP abuse. In a pangea game (not a GOTM, I never ROP Abuse in GOTM), you can sign ROPs with all nations on the same turn. Then ROP abuse each as units come availiable. In a late game, this can even be done in a single turn. In the AA/MA you could probably use this to take out 3 or 4 opponents in a 20 turn sequence.

There is no way that I know of to get a ROP once contacted nations have communicatied your perfidy.

I have started using RoP abuse in GOTM because it is allowed and others use it. I believe that it can save my game play more than five turns quite easily. With enough units you can wipe out a whole AI civ in a single turn - position using your RoP, declare, and destroy. If you get all the cities, you don't even need to clean up all their spare units, unless there is a settler out there somewhere.

You can get the best results by signing RoP with your first target, then when ready to declare sign with the rest - so the twenty turns starts leter that way. I don't think that the AI's response to your perfidy is as significant as it should be. Even after your treachery, it is still sometimes possible to sign an RoP if the AI want a strategic resource or luxury enough, and your lands typically are larger than theirs by enough.

Of course, owing to the power of RoP abuse, you may not need more than 20 turns to finish up! I could understand if RoP abuse became a banned exploit in GOTM.

SirPleb said:
Or is there a trick for doing it more than once even if they have met?
I am not sure if this is the 'trick' you refer to, or even if it is 100% guaranteed, but if not it is very close to it! Signing an AI to an MA seems to all but guarantee that they will agree to an RoP even after witnessing an abuse of the agreement.

SirPleb said:
... ROP abuse is harder to quantify. I haven't used it in a very long time. I'm not sure if it could gain as much as 5 turns toward conquest or domination. ...

It is possible to gain more than 5 turns IMO.

In this particular game I also waited with 20 Sipahi on an former Arab-Greek border for a luxury deal with Greece to expire for 8 turns or even 9, don't remember exactly.

[ptw] 1.27

Scientific from the start – Going for space

I ended up staying peaceful a lot longer than anticipated in this game. Upon entering the Middle Ages, I drew Engineering as my free tech. I gifted Greece into the Middle Ages and they drew Engineering as well. :sad:

I made a few unsuccessful suicide runs with galleys to try to gain contact with the last 3 civs, but gave up fairly quickly. The English actually bought contact with me in 110 BC, so I was able to trade for all contacts at that point.

Early in the Middle Ages, I was giving away a pile of techs for free to all of the civs except for the Arabs. I was hoping to encourage a skirmish between Greece and the Arabs to trigger their Golden Ages, but that didn’t happen until much later. I continued to give free techs to Greece, France and, to a lesser extent, Carthage and the Zulu throughout the Middle Ages. I was intent on keeping Greece and France strong, as they would have better potential than the other civs to give me GPT for my techs later in the game (since they were the only commercial civs in the game).

I completed Copernicus’ Observatory in Uskudar (in my first ring) in 440 AD. I focused on building libraries, universities and marketplaces in my first ring cities. All of this focus on building science paid off, as I was able to study the last 8 techs of the Middle Ages in 4 turns each. I also did this without a Forbidden Palace (still waiting to build it in either Carthage or Zulu territory) or a Golden Age.

My science progression was:
450 BC Engineering (free tech)
390 BC Learned Literature
250 BC Learned Monotheism
190 BC Traded for Feudalism from Zulu
170 BC Traded for Monarchy from Carthage
130 BC Learned Theology
10 BC Learned Education
130 AD Learned Astronomy; traded for Invention from Greece
210 AD Learned Music Theory (wanted more happiness from Bach’s)
270 AD Learned Banking; traded for Chivalry from Greece
310 AD Learned Economics; traded for Gunpowder from Carthage
350 AD Learned Chemistry
390 AD Learned Physics
430 AD Learned Magnetism
470 AD Learned Theory of Gravity
470 AD Traded Navigation from Greece
510 AD Learned Metallurgy; Enter Industrial Age

Carthage was my best research partner by far. In fact, two of the three techs I picked up from Greece were actually studied by Carthage and traded to the Greeks. I’m glad I decided not to kill them off too early.

I didn’t fight any wars at all, but I did pick up a Carthaginian city to a culture flip in 450 AD. My immediate plans for the Industrial Age were to continue with the fast tech pace. I decided to let the AI study Military Tradition for me, which they were certain to do.

My military at the dawn of the Industrial Age consisted of 9 knights, 6 horsemen, 15 warriors and one musket (which I got for free when the Carthaginian city flipped to me). I was building a significant number of knights in my core in anticipation of some early-IA bloodlust.

[ptw] 1.27f

Whew!! I loaded the game up on the 9th, and just submitted it with maybe a half hour before the gate was closed for GOTM35!

Very short time to play, so I kept it extremely simple. I actually threw RCP out the Window, I never built any Granaries, and I never converted Governments staying in Despotism for the entire game! (In fact, I don't think I ever learned Monarchy and Republic, although all the other civs did, that survived that long, that is. :D ) I built Barracks in my key central cities (later the border cities would pop-rush Libraries, some Temples, to expand the cultural radius in my shot for Domination). As my core cities grew to 6, I'd pop out a Settler, otherwise I kept building Chariots, once I had Horses.

Plan was to pursue an early Horseman takeover. Ainwood made this complex by placing Carthage, Greeks and Zulus in close proximity; their UU's seemed designed to thwart Horsemen. Once I'd learned the Wheel and saw Horses adjacent to Carthage my path was set. I learned IronWorking, saw several sources including the one near Utica, built my cities in a line towards that source (and Carthage), upgraded several Warriors and the first war was on. I captured Carthage itself, razed Utica, and got two other cities during Peace negotiations in 1225 BC. Later on I started Round 2, and captured 3 more cities finally finishing Carthage around 50 AD, using primarily Swordsmen and some Chariots, finishing up with Horsemen.

Someone distant entered the MidAges in 430 BC; it wasn't any of the local crew. Walls and Chariots defended the one barb uprising near Carthage; I'd controlled barbs everywhere else. I entered the MidAges in 230 BC after contact from England allowed me to gain all contacts and buy or trade the rest of the way; HorsebackRiding was the last Tech I traded for and I had 40 Chariots and about 1500 Gold at this point. :)

I decided I'd take on the Greek-Arab continent next; I preferred the possible retreat from Hoplites than going toe to toe with the Zulu's Impis; also Zulu's are Militaristic so I'd probably see more Veteran Impi's, and the Greeks were likely to have Regular Hoplites. After Greeks and Arabs, I'd go after the French, English and Vikings. I figured I'd need to go after this continent regardless because I didn't think the first two continents would provide enough territory for a Domination Victory, and by the earlier argument, I'd still rather go against regular Pikemen then Veteran Impis. I'd need a big navy to bridge the gap between Greece and France, so I built a ton of coastal cities that would pop-rush Galleys at every opportunity. These Galleys would take a load of Horsemen across to the Greek-Arab continent, then head off to accumulate near the Greek capital, across the strait from France, for use later.

Greeks and Arabs had already gone at it, so the last Arab city was taken by my Horsemen in 50 AD, establishing a beachhead. Then I started to work on Greece. The Horsemen did a good job! Most Greek cities had two Regular Hoplites in them; I'd usually lose 1 Horsemen, have 1 or 2 retreat, and kill the Hoplites with the rest. I did suffer several flips, but lost few units in them (I tend to heal in the open ;) ) Greece was finally gone in 420 AD; this was after gaining a couple of towns through Peace negotiations, then reneging on the Peace deal - my first broken deal of the game! (There would be more)

To soften up the 3rd Continent, I declared war on England, then bought France and the Vikings into the War. They actually mopped England off the continent! I signed peace with England gaining one of her two cities on the Greek-Arab continet; a few turns later I broke the peace deal to capture her last city; England was gone right around 420 as well.

I knew I was going to break these two deals (and almost simultaneously), so I signed a ROP deal with France right before I sullied my reputation. I also decided (since I had learned Monotheism by 40 turn Minimum, and had gained Feudalism due to Peace treaty with England), to learn Chivalry (6 turns) and go after France with Knights. Good decision, since they had Musketeers! So I learned Chivalry, sent my Knights over by using the Galley Two-Step move, set up France and took 4 of the 5 first turn cities around 570 AD. I kept at Joan, upgrading Horsemen and shipping them over, until France was finally taken out (late 700's I believe). Several cities flipped during this time, so I had to retake quite a few; however, the large population of France made good pop-rushing material, so I'd short-rush to Archer, then use a 2nd pop-point to finish my Library, and culture was popping out all over all 3 continents.

Zulu's decided they wanted part of the action and declared War; I accommodated, and took a few of Shaka's northern most cities as well. And I launched my French Veterans at the Vikings as well. Domination Victory in 860 AD (same as DJMGator13's I believe), with a Jason score just over 10K. On to COTM5! (Soon as I catch my breath)

Top Bottom