GOTM 35 Spoiler 2: Entering the Industrial Age

ainwood said:
Well, its looks like everyone made fairly good use of their Sipahi!
Well not this one. :D

The short story for me was : No Sipahi, no golden age, no great leaders but lots of fun. :lol:

Ancient age

Research
Entering the MA i got Monotheism, I then gifted the Greeks into the MA, but they got Monotheism as well. :mad: , so it was Feudalism (4 turns) and Chivalry (4 turns), after that I sold all my libraries and had one lonely scientist researching Engineering.

War
Soon after Carthage build the Pyramids I upgraded my warriors and took the city a long with a handfull of other cities, and then made peace for a few extra cities.
As soon as chivalry came along I upgraded my horsemen and began the final conquest of Carthage and the Zulu (Hanging Gardens :)) and the Greek-Arabia continent, going for a fast domination.

But then, way to late, :cry: .......aaargh.... I realize : there won't be enough tiles for domination on the two continents. (about 26 tiles short) : ......damn you ainwood. :mad: :lol:

Having sold all my libraries, and being 3 techs from Astronomy, I was sweating there for a while, but due to my large empire I was able to research at 4 turns/tech anyway. :)

Actually I rushed a lot of galleys and did the galleyhopping as well :

I finally reached domination in 510AD.

Wow! Scary dates, guys! Just when I think I'm starting to understand how to play this game the bar rises again. :eek:

ainwood said:
This is possibly due to the rank corruption bug - any cities that are closer to your FP than to you capital have their rank calculated by the number of cities closer to the capital than they are to the FP - ie: If you capital is miles from the rest of your empire, then all cities are effectively treated as rank '1' for corruption purposes. Because this is an exploit, its actually not allowed in the GOTM. We therefore require you to have around OCN/2 cities near to your palace (even then its a bit exploitive, as you end up with a load of cities that are approx. rank (say) 8).
It could also possibly be due to a bit of poetic license in my description of the benefit to emphasize my mild disappointment at getting no leaders earlier in the game. I had built the FP right next to my palace, expecting a leader to jump the palace into Zulu lands much earlier. Paris was in the middle of France, surrounded by about 8-10 of my recently captured cities!

The true effect was about a 60% revenue improvement, and I noted that some of the Greek/Arab cities were now producing 2 shields instead of the totally corrupt 1 shield.

Sandman2003 said:
It could also possibly be due to a bit of poetic license in my description of the benefit to emphasize my mild disappointment at getting no leaders earlier in the game. I had built the FP right next to my palace, expecting a leader to jump the palace into Zulu lands much earlier. Paris was in the middle of France, surrounded by about 8-10 of my recently captured cities!
Good to hear ;) Otherwise I would have been recommending that you capture a few quickly. :)

zamint3 said:
But then, way to late, :cry: .......aaargh.... I realize : there won't be enough tiles for domination on the two continents. (about 26 tiles short) : ......damn you ainwood. :mad: :lol:
Really? Who would have guessed? :mischief:

So did you conquer the greeks / arabs with knights? Was that painful (greeks especially)??

Just to reinforce Sandman2003's experience, I also build my FP close to Sogut, though I did take the precaution of putting it nearer to the coast so that I'd get some productive shipyards. I also expected to get a leader to put my palace in Cathage or Zululand. I finally won my only two leaders of the game while I was fighting the Greeks, and by that time my home core had done all I needed. I didn't need to move my Palace.

ainwood said:
So did you conquer the greeks / arabs with knights? Was that painful (greeks especially)??
Not really :

....and with a ROP rape on both. :mischief:

The Greek had Chivalry but I don't think I saw more than one or two knights.

Predator, [ptw]1.27, Militaristic

I was whupped by zamint3 by 7 turns (congrats) and played a game similair to his, so I'll keep this short.

With a bloody approach already decided upon, I could either (1) research to mil. tradition or astronomy and go for conquest or (2) stop reseach at Chivarly, put the spare cash to good use, and go for domination. With a militaristic trait, I chose the latter. Carthage was eliminated with swordsmen. I then set up a two front war with Zulu and Arabs simultaneously. Temples were rushed practically every turn as soon as the horsemen upgrade phase was over. Eventually I traded engineering from England for something like 100 gpt and then declared war the same turn.

The reason zamint beat me was probably that (s)he had more knights. I did get stuck on a few Greek towns. I never had an overwhelming power, which made it fun to play, though.

Gloat, zamint3, gloat! I would.

The game ended with a push into France via ship hopping.

Leader luck: 5
- Hurried Hanging Gardens in Hlobane (for culture and happiness)
- Made an army of knights.
- Hurried Sistine Chapel in Tours (For cultural expansion only. It flipped before expanding but the good thing about wonders is that they get their cultutral values back when you recapture them.)
- Hurried Heroic Epic in Rheims.
- Hurried library on a far away former Zulu island.

@SirPleb: Great game! What impresses me most is the foresight to move all those galleys to an area so far from where the "action" took place, i.e. the area where you first moved troops over to Arabia.

Scientific through and through.

Still going for Domination. My Ancient Age post is HERE.

Middle Ages
Shortly after entering the MA in 590 bc, I gifted Greece in. They got Monotheism and I gave them Republic and some gold for it. I finished my FP in 470 bc, in a city NW of my palace. This location had been planned long before, and it already had RCP rings at 3 and 6 (the RCP 6 ring included many coastal cities on the west coast of the main continent). I also converted my 4-turn Warrior/Settler factory into a 6-turn Horseman/Settler factory. All other military builds were switched from warriors to Horsemen as well.

As mentioned in my previous post, Carthage was beaten to the Pyramids by 8 turns: the Arabs basically destroyed the Pyramids usefulness to me by building them on that god-awful hill-riddled island to the west in 590 bc. :sad: Loosing the Pyramids was partially my fault. If I had investigated the Arabs, I could have hurried my invasion plans and taken their capitol before they built them. If Carthage had gotten the Pyramids it would have had a nice impact on my Domination date. Ah well, woulda coulda shoulda.

In any case, I declared war on the Arabs in 430 bc and took Mecca two turns later. In 270 I got contact with the other continent (English, French, Vikings) through the Zulu. They didn’t have any techs to trade, but getting their maps was nice. The war with the Arabs was costly: several of their cities were on hills, and I lost a total of 21 MI in the taking of their cities. Bad, bad RNG. This pretty much nullified the usefulness of my ancient age warrior/settler factory, because most of the warriors it produced died quickly. The few that survived died in the first few turns of my war with the Greeks to their hated hilltop-hoplites. I ended the Arab war in 110 bc, getting two cities for peace and leaving them with only one.

The zulu “sneak attacked” in 150 bc, while I was still at war with the Arabs. They were never a threat, as I had horsemen waiting for them. I was actually thrilled they declared on me, because the war happiness was quite useful. I redeclared war on Carthage in 10bc and took two more cities, leaving them with one. I then gave them peace again.

I struggled this game with what to do with my palace. The arab/greek hill island was not very attractive. Although the Zulus had very nice territory, I knew it would be late in the game before I took them over. I decided the best thing I could do was just maximize the non-corrupt cities on my starting landmass, so in 170 AD I jumped my palace to the eastern side of the main continent (using a combination of worker-joins and military buildup in the new palace city). This increased my income by about 20%, and my research time went from 6 turns per discovery to 4 turns. I was not expecting that big a jump, and I wished I had done it sooner! (My research remained at 4 turns per discovery until I researched Magnetism in 420 ad, at which time I turned off research.)

I never researched or traded for chivalry in this game, because I felt I would be better off with Sipahi against all the hilltop hoplites and impis. I got military tradition in 270 ad, and I immediately upgraded 6 horsemen to Sipahi. At 140g apiece, that blew my entire bankroll, and I decided I would wait to upgrade the rest after I finished Leonardo’s workshop, due in a few turns. However, I continued to build horsemen in most of my cities by disconnecting my saltpeter. I would connect/disconnect it many times throughout the game.

Two turns after I upgraded the 6 sipahi I declared war on the Greeks and immediately lost 3 of them. Expensive and discouraging. I also entered my Golden Age though, during which I was doing 4-turn research and making from 200-400gpt. In 340 AD, I finally got a leader. (My one and only in this game: I guess the fates were balancing out the insane leader-luck I had in GOTM 34). I sent him to the home continent to rush Sun Tzu. That would be most helpful in my war against the Zulu. A few turns later I completed Leonardo and upgraded about 22 horsemen to Sipahi. Many more upgrades would follow on every turn for the rest of the game.

In the next few turns, I went to war with everyone in the game except the Vikings, whom I traded education and some gold to for gems and furs. Cities fell fast, averaging around 4 per turn, although on one turn I took 10. I was also using gold and extra Sipahi to rush libraries and settlers at this point. The cheap libraries of the scientific trait came in very handy. At one point I was up to 85 sipahi, but I then used about 40 of them to rush settlers and libraries. In 540 ad, I did the biggest library/settler rush of my game (about 20 libraries and 10 settlers), thinking that I had my timing just perfect to win in 580 ad. I was way off though, because I didn’t take the time earlier to count up the tiles. I should have made my push around 480 ad. I could have won sooner—although it still would have been one turn after Zamint’s 510 domination win (and probably after several others that have yet to post)! Here are two screens from Dianthus’ Mapstat on the turn the game ended:

I went over on tiles by 115, and I would have gone WAY over on the next turn with the impending culture expansions (19 cities, most of them in areas that would have added tiles to the domination count). It was a good learning experience, however, and I think/hope my timing will improve in the next game.

In spite of my compaining above :rolleyes:, domination was reached in 570 ad: a new record for me. Woo hoo! (And I think one turn before Megalou??? groucho ). I'm now looking forward to COTM 5, which, unlike COTM 4, I think I will have the time to play, thankfully.

PS: Unbelievable conquest date Sir Pleb! I wonder when Kuningas finished his conquest…

bradleyfeanor said:
And I think one turn before Megalou??? groucho
Right! Rub it in. :mad: :mad: :mad: I, er, was blindfolded...1 arm tied behind my back - no 2 arms! I punched the keys with my nose, which is pretty big, you know. What's your Space Cadet high score anyway? Huh?

I actually had nationalism in 5000 BC and gave it away to all civs, then hacked the game and removed all techs of my own including masonry, bronze working and the unlisted tech "sanity" which requires about 5978 beakers. I also erased my ability to build any unit that has attack strength or defensive strength, took out Carthage with workers who each cost just slightly less than Hoover Dam. I sent explorers to run around Paris until the French fell apart with dizziness (inventing the Swedish word Pariserhjul, Ferriswheel), before I finally decided I'd had enough.

PREDATOR [civ3mac] Panther 1.29

Ancient Times

After all the reading about bloodthirsty conquerers (amazing!), here is my report on the progress towards peaceful ;) diplomatic victory.

Middle Ages were entered 550BC with free monotheism. I donated Greece into MA, but as nearly always in 1.29, they also get monotheism. :( Massive barb uprising kills one settler and ransacks 2 cities. :(

In 470BC, we meet the backward English and soon the other oversea civs; all ******ed scientifically. I researched full speed and the AIs contributed theology, feudalism, chivalry, education, banking, and magnetism. I traded or donated all techs asap to speed progress in order to reach the UN early.

Carthage was dealt with 190AD till 440AD. In 190AD our only elite sword in the very first attack created Great Leader Orhan, who immediately rushed Leonardo's. The last war turn gave a 2nd Leader who built Copernicus'. Carthage came with Great Library (gave us zilch) and Sistine. 390AD we learn military tradition and upgrade 17 knights to dragoons, triggering our Golden Age 400AD. This speeds research and we enter the Industrial Age 470AD , ready to assimilate the Zulu nation next.

@Megalou: :rotfl:

If I ever come to Sweden I will have to look you up: that is worth at least a case of beer. And yes, I am 0 for 1 as a Space Cadet oh mighty Captain. I think that makes me a Garbage Scow Technician, 3rd class.

My AA was fairly similar to everyone elses, so I'll give just a few highlights before the MA report. In 1000 BC I had 15 cities, and I entered the MA in 390 BC.

As I rightly assumed, this games in being dominated by bloodthirsty war mongers, so I decided to go for space. I had a bit of a skirmish with Cathage around 100 BC, but all I got were a few towns. I decided to sit back and wait until I got Sipahi before I attempted any more warring.

My main goal in the Middle Ages was to achieve 4-turn research. I was moderately successful in that aspect. Here are the dates at which I acquired techs.

390BC-Engineering free, Feudalism from Greece
230BC-Monotheism
70Bc-Theology
50AD-Education
170AD-Astronomy
210AD-Invention from Arabia
230AD?-Banking
290AD-Gunpowder
340AD-Chemistry
380AD-Physics
420AD-Theory of Gravity
460AD-Magnetism
500AD-Metallurgy, Enter Industrial Age

Great IA date, Kaiser - almost 300 years ahead of me (also went for the SS). Looking good for a pre-1400 launch? How did you get your research up and running so quickly in the MA?

Neil. :cool:

eldar said:
Great IA date, Kaiser - almost 300 years ahead of me (also went for the SS). Looking good for a pre-1400 launch? How did you get your research up and running so quickly in the MA?

Neil. :cool:

Thanks. Yes, I was looking for a pre-1400 launch. Did I find one :rolleyes: ? :lol:

My strategy was basically to make a beeline for Education so I could get my cheap universities online as soon as possible. I got it in 50AD, and after that my research times began to drop accordingly. Thankfully I had a decent amount of cash sitting around, so I was able to rush a lot of of them, getting me going sooner.

eldar said:
Great IA date, Kaiser - almost 300 years ahead of me
Ahem. I was 30 years faster. ;) Despite the fact that I researched military tradition first.

My focus was on speeding tech progress by immediately trading techs around. Maybe it also helped (I hope so) that I handbuilt The Pyramids in my 2nd city immediately after founding it.

Great game SirPleb!!!
I didn't expect that it is possible 90BC MT!
Well, hte PTW players can choose own free tech end get other from AI but...

I go to Chivalry for "early" wars but I begun it at the same time as you start with Siphai!
I built FP east from the palace in 470BC.
In 150BC I attack Carthage they has Pyramids.
Then attack Zulu and in 290AD I researched MT.
At this moment Zulu has 1 city and I refocusing to Greece and England.
Arabs was killed by Greece in BC.
I simultaneously attacked in 2 direction and reach Domination in 410AD.

I got 4 Leaders: Great Lighthouse, Sun Thzu, Palace in Zimbabwe and Leonardo.

Dynamic said:
I simultaneously attacked in 2 directions and reach Domination in 410AD.

Amazing date yet again Dynamic! :king: I don't know how you do it.

Well, the PTW players can choose own free tech end get other from AI but...
The advantage of PTW is that each scientific civ is more likely to get a different free tech. I don't think PTW players can choose which one they get, can they?

Another amazing date :eek: And four leaders !?

Well my game was very similar to alot above - My goal was an early domination.

1000BC

17 cities
Republic in 9 turns
1 settler
9 workers
9 warriors
3 archers
2 granaries
29 citizens

I decided to go all out science to get MT ASAP, and reached it in 280AD.
Went for a double - go revolt when I drew 6 turns but ended up with 7 turns on the reroll! - grr. So could have reached MT a little sooner.

SirPleb - I am amazed at your research skill to reach MT as soon as you did - very impressive :goodjob: I have alot to learn in that regard.

I had no wars before MT but was tempted when I discovered the Horse at the land bridge had been grabbed. Instead though I roaded it and traded for horses which worked out great.

Those Sipahi - what can I say. Never played them before but they have to be one of the top UU's in the game! As quoted above it was like a hot knife through butter and the only real delay I had in domination was switching science back on to get Astronomy - well designed map ainwood :)

Anyway, I reached domination in 640AD with 10809 Jason points - a record for me as well :goodjob:
But still heaps of room for improvement when looking at some of the scores posted - impressive guys!!

Great fun game.

Top Bottom