GOTM 35 Spoiler 2: Entering the Industrial Age

AlanH said:
The advantage of PTW is that each scientific civ is more likely to get a different free tech. I don't think PTW players can choose which one they get, can they?
The free tech as a scientific civ in PTW is random. I once thought (hoped) otherwise, but it is definitely random.

@Kaiser: Figured it was rushing Unis. I didn't have a Govt when I reached the MA either so spent the first part researching Republic and sitting through a 7-turn Anarchy period ouch!). Greece got the same tech as me (monotheism), and I started as usual on Engineering, instead of going straight through Theology to Education. You also had 50% more cities than me at 1000BC, so that would've helped too. Still, I was happy with my eventual date, shows I'm improving :)

Neil. :cool:

Mursilis sat staring at the early evening stars wondering how long before he’d be planet bound this time. As he turned back to his desk he looked at the map of his continent. Carthage was to the west and Zululand was to the south via a narrow land bridge with a Greek city at the choke point. The first target for expansion would be Carthage, though Mursilis knew the Carthaginian defenders would not fall without a determined fight. “This looks like an elephant that will have to be eaten one bite at a time” he thought.

“Colonel, I want a short war. Just a quick level a couple of cities and then sign peace. Can you plan for that?” Mursilis asked. “Not a problem. A dozen or so of on Mace units with Longbow support should be able to get the job done and we have that many trained units available at this time” replied Colonel Scoutsout (General Grahamiam was on vacation and the Colonel was filling in for him).

A quick war was what Mursilis wanted and that’s just what he got. Just two Carthaginian cities had been razed, when the Emissary from Hannibal came requesting peace. The knowledge of Monarchy and a coastal city was the condition he agreed to and once again peace was know throughout the continent, but it would not last.

“Brigadier, I’ve noticed that there is a Greek city blocking our campaign to the Zulu lands. This calls for another of your short and decisive little war. You’ll need to position your troops for a quick little war on the Zulus following that. When can you be ready to move?” Mursilis asked. The newly promoted Brigadier General Scoutsout replied “Our troops are already on the move towards Plebos Nexia and should be in position within the week. My staff has already prepared plans for a quick smash and grab of a couple of Zulu cities for your approval. With your ok, we’ll merge the two into a single campaign.” “Make it so” was Mursilis’ answer.

The small Greek garrison stood no chance against the Ottoman Longbows and the city fell quickly, the Greek citizens seemed to be relieved to no longer be a colony so far from their homeland and quickly squashed any resistance. With their path no longer blocked, the Ottoman troops streamed into the neutral lands north of three Zulu cities.

The Zulu messenger stood on the hill above Umfolozi and stared, he was too late. In his hand was the notice of war between the Zulu and Ottoman. The delay in at headquarters had cost the defenders valuable preparation time and the garrison fell with little ado. He only hoped his fellow messengers had reached their target in time. They had, but to no avail, as the Zulu cities of Umtata and Ibabanago fell to the Ottoman foot soldiers. The Greek and Zulu emissaries waited for their appointments with Osman (as Mursilis was now called) in silence. Both had been victims of the powerful Ottoman war machine and were eager to end the conflict.

Later in the day Osman as he prepared for the opening ceremony of the new War Academy he mentally reviewed the results of the peace treaties, from the Greeks a sum of gold and his first peek at a map of the world and from the Zulus the knowledge of the Printing Press and gold. At the ceremony he was pleased to announce to the cheering throng, the newly signed peace and as a contribution from his scientists, the knowledge of gunpowder.

Just as Osman was discussing the completion of continental conquest with General Scoutsout (General Grahamiam was now the Dean of the War Academy), a messenger arrived with news that the Arab city of Fustat had revolted and wished to join the Ottoman Republic. “That’s one less battle to fight” Osman said as he welcomed the news. “Carthage must go first, there are five eastern cities and Rusicade to the northwest. Let’s start in the east and let our new recruits head north. I’m planning on setting up a international trading soon and would like to be able use those extra Carthage luxuries as trade bait, can your plans accommodate this General?” As the General looked at the map, the timetable and his order of battle he remembered the difficult time his troops had with the Carthaginian defenders the last time they were at war. “Without iron, they will be forced into a defensive war and with numbers on our side, we should be able to meet your schedule without too much trouble”

Osman’s concerns proved to be unnecessary for two reasons, the Ottoman army rolled over the first four Carthaginian cities leaving only the Capital and the NW city to Hannibal, and secondly at the trading conference, the new ivory supplies were of no interest to any of the participants. However, the knowledge of Chemistry gained Osman the knowledge of Astronomy, Greek wines, Viking furs, 83gpt and 390g from the attendees. The highlight of the conference was Osman’s announcement of the completion of Leonardo’s Workshop in Uskudar.

With the discovery of Military Tradition, 8 veteran Sipahi units left the capital for Rusicade. As his troops arrived at the gates the cavalry commander, a welcoming committee of city officials greeted Major Alerum69. It seemed that the intelligent people of the city had killed the garrison during the night and wished to join the Ottoman Empire. While he was disappointed in forsaking the battle he was happy to accept this unexpected conquest. He quickly turned his troops east to Carthage.

Another trading conference had concluded and once again Osman was pleased with the results. The knowledge of Banking and Navigation plus a growing treasury for Metallurgy techniques had made the convention a success.

Major Alerum69’s forces arrived just in time to witness the retaking of Theveste from a rebellious mob by Ottoman foot soldiers. He was quite disappointed to learn that his troops were not to be involved in the final assault on Carthage. However, when he learned of his new assignment that was all forgotten. While the mud-thumpers were busy pounding Carthage into submission, he led his now 25 strong column of Sipahi south to the Zulu border.

To celebrate 4800 years of rule, Osman held a gala in the capital to welcome Orhan the first battle hero of the Ottoman Republic, to dedicate the Forbidden Palace in Aydin and to announce the fall of Carthage with the Great Library. “Orhan will be leading the First Sipahi Army into battle” announced Osman.

“Attention, the time has come to complete the acquisition of this continent.” Osman stated as he opened his weekly staff meeting. I have asked War Academy President Grahamiam and General Scoutsout to present a plan they have designed to gain the current Zulu lands while limiting our losses. Gentlemen you have the floor.”

The two cut contrasting figures as they presented the plan, Grahamiam, the grizzled old veteran and Scoutsout the young protégé both spoke with the confidence of years of battle hardening. Their plan was simple yet elegant, equal forces of Sipahi circling the Zulu capital capturing all of the coastal cities and then turning north from the final city to attack the capital from the south while the cannon supported foot soldiers pounding the central Zulu cities into submission and arrive at the capital to support the final attack.

From the declaration of war, followed by the first Sipahi win which began the Ottoman Golden Age to the final Impi’s death in Zimbabwe, the plan’s execution had been flawless. One by one the Zulu cities fell with ruthless precision before the Ottoman attackers. Thanks to the library provided culture advantage, none were razed and none rebelled. In 860 AD, eighty years before the war would end, the discovery of Magnetism pushed the Ottoman Republic into the Industrial Age (with Medicine as a science bonus).

With Greece as a trading partner, the rate of scientific advances was quite rapid; Theory of Gravity, Physics and Steam Power were all rewards for Ottoman science & resources (dyes & saltpeter) at the trading table.

So with the dawn of the Industrial Age, with the Ottoman work force busy adding railroads to the continent, the Ottoman troops completing the conquest of the Zulus and the Ottoman scientists busy researching Industrialization, things look rosy for Osman’s journey to the stars.

Well, I had another of these MT domination victories.
Entered MA in 590BC, a little bit delayed by the 7 turn anarchy.
Stayed peaceful all the way to military tradition in 150AD.
3 turns later Leonardo's completed and I started upgrading my horses (I never acquired chivalry).
Zulu and Carthage fell quickly.
Arabs were no problem.
I then researched Astronomy and Navigation and started on the English while crawling through the Greek mountains.
Domination in 520AD.

We had a very good map and starting position in this GOTM (thank you, ainwood!).
I built 6 ring4 cities and 11 ring8 cities + some farther. My first goal after discovering my position was cut off Carthage from my ring8 and I did that.

Since I want to get Sipahi I must rush my research. I play Civ3 1.29 and haven’t Feudalism and Engineering for free. It sign my science speed is lower and I must use tactical ruse for fast win.

I decided research Literature earlier then Republic for increasing my culture and science. From Carthage and further Zulu I traded Alphabet, Horseback Riding, Map Making, Mathematics and Polytheism. Currency and Construction I research myself because I won’t they have early Feodalism.

After entering in MA (590BC) I go to the Chivalry with half speed for collect some money for upgrade. I discover it in 170BC and upgrade ~20 Horseman to Knights. I easy took Carthage and other cities with Pyramids.

Some words about Leaders. I don’t know how works 1/16 probability rule, but I note in the many of my games I got quick first Leader while my force isn’t big. It is main reason for early war if neighbor is close and hasn’t strong defense. But further when I have many of units the Leaders appear seldom. I await the Leader from Cartage war but it appeared vary fast. I rush The Great Lighthouse and some turns later discover last continent.

After discovering Chivalry I research Engineering and stop science on couple turns for maney.
Then I got to the MT with 4turns rate (got it in 290AD).

From Zulu’s war I got another Leader and rush Palace in Zimbabwe. I can upgrade my units without Leonardo’s but my last Leader appeared in the final of Zulus killing. Further I won many of elite battles but haven’t luck. I discover Theology especially for rushing Sistine Chapel but never did it.

When I’m a power leader of the world I can use ROP abuse. I use it with Zulu, Greece and England. I surrounded core cities, captured its and go to other by short ways. Sipahi is the great unit! Using them against spearmen (mainly) and some pikemen is “slaughter of the innocents“.

In each city I rush library when it stop resist and have 1 shield in storage. When I see the domination limit is closer I stop rushing libraries and rush settlers for covering holes between borders.

Attachments

• 150BC1.JPG
    150BC1.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 290AD2.JPG
    290AD2.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 340AD2.JPG
    340AD2.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 350_410AD.JPG
    350_410AD.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 136
  • 90AD2.JPG
    90AD2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for posting the details of your game Dynamic! This is really going to help me get better dates in the future. I learned a LOT from your post, but I will mention two points in particular:

Dynamic said:
Some words about Leaders. I don’t know how works 1/16 probability rule, but I note in the many of my games I got quick first Leader while my force isn’t big. It is main reason for early war if neighbor is close and hasn’t strong defense. But further when I have many of units the Leaders appear seldom. I await the Leader from Cartage war but it appeared vary fast. I rush The Great Lighthouse and some turns later discover last continent.

I seldom go to war ultra-early, but when I have, I often get that early leader as well. I think I am going to start having an early war more often to get that leader.

Dynamic said:
When I’m a power leader of the world I can use ROP abuse. I use it with Zulu, Greece and England. I surrounded core cities, captured its and go to other by short ways.

This was the big one!!! Your pics really demonstrate what an effective strategy ROP abuse can be. I knew it was helpful, but not THAT helpful. I never used ROP abuse in the past, but I am certainly going to be using it in the future! Thanks! :goodjob:

@Dynamic: Thanks for a great post. As BradleyFeanor says there are a lot of lessons in there, specially for middle-rank players like me.

Conquest Class
Playing in PTW ( to avoid downloading files needed for CivIII ).
Noticed that Incense is showing up in City luxury box as two separate luxuries. This also applies to the other nations. I suspect it is an icon error and that one of them is another luxury. Has anyone else noticed this.
Whilst I have never entered a result, the GOTMs are the best feature of this site, as a lower rank player the posted QSCs and discussions have taught far more than years of trial and error.
I was disappointed to read an earlier thread on this game where the folk who put the hard work into GTOMs were having to try ( more than once ) to explain the idea of the spirit of the game.
It would not be possible to have a rule book covering all possible eventualities , utilities etc ( specially those not yet seen ), as in many other games and sports. We should all accept the decision of the guy who created the game.

Conquest class

Made it into the IA finally in 1260AD.

As you may remeber I have only played warlord games before so this has been a bit of a batism of fire :) I played COTM last month and got slaughtered, so my hopes were not too high for this GOTM.

Anyway, at the begining of the MA I had had two small wars with Carthage and Zulu. I now consentrated on Carthage and in two wars knocked them out. Zulu is confined to the lower section of the land mass, and is going to feel the full benifit of my Sipahi very soon.

After being in a tech hole for all of the MA I am getting near parity now, I was the first to the corporation and that allowed me to trade 3 or 4 techs and am now only down 1 tech (with 3 optionals which I don't really need) Electricity.

Score wise I am in the lead with Greece and Zulu second and third, quite close really but I am thinking on the best way to handle things ATM.

Overall, I am very pleased to be doing so well :)

I think I owe all of my sucess to the war academy!

Open

Goal: Seeking out the cow

At the end of the ancient ages I was dealing with the remains of the Carthagininan empire. So here we go…

Otto-Carthaginian War (Part 2)

50 – Capture Carthage
130 – Enter Anarchy
150 – Capture Leptis Magna. Sign peace treaty with Carthage for the cities of Sabratha and Rusicade. Found Urfa.
230 – Trade Engineering with Arabs for Feudalism, and with Greeks for Monotheism.
260 – We are a Republic.
340 – Learn Chivalry.

I need to clear this continent before the Zulu learn MilTrad, otherwise I’m going to have a harder time wiping them out… plus they’ve got the Pyramids!

Otto-Zulu War (Part 1)

390 – Declare War on Zulu and Carthage. Sign MAs against Zulu with everyone in exchange for Chivalry. Hopefully I can waste some of the Golden Ages of the other civs this way. Capture Izipezi. Learn Invention from Arabs in exchange for Chivalry.
440 – Capture Hadrumetum. The Carthaginians are no more.
480 – Learn Gunpowder.
520 – Capture Tugela.
550 – Learn Chemistry. Learn Education from the Greeks.
590 – Ceasefire with Zulu in exchange for Liverpool.
610 – Learn Metallurgy.
620 – Learn Printing Press from Vikings in exchange for Chemistry.
650 – FP built in Edirne.
700 – Learn MilTrad. :hammer:
740 – Learn physics.
760 – Trade Metallurgy to the French for banking.
790 – Learn Magnetism. The Arabs give us 13gpt to redeclare on the Zulu. We have a Sipahi triggered GA whilst capturing Isandhlwana, Ngome and Umtata.
800 – The Arabic town of Fustat flips to us.
820 – Regonotiate alliances against Zulu. In exchange for Physics, learn Navigation and Music theory.
830 – Learn theory of Gravity. Enter the Industrial Ages and get Nationalism as my freebie.

I breezed quickly through the Middle Ages faster than I have ever done. Hopefully my sipahi will take out the Zulu fairly quickly, and then I can decide who to cross of my list next. Probably the Arab-Greek island. This should then give me close to domination, and I should be able to sit back and play it cool for the rest of the game.

BTW, I'm absolutely astounded by some of the domination and conquest dates. Good job guys! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• minimap - GOTM35 - industrial.JPG
    minimap - GOTM35 - industrial.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 280
Ancient Times

Goal for MT
Achieve Conquest victory. Start with early medieval units, but maintain fast tech pace to finish it with massed Sipahi.

A Way to Zimbabwe
Zulus are next on schedule. Just as the Carthage war continued I has assembled two teams of Worker+Slave that are capable of building road in one turn and started build a long road to Zulus. Just 2 Workers + 2 Slaves allowed me to proceed at a steady pace 1 tile of road / turn.

The problem was that barbarians have a nasty habit settling on my new road so I had to build a couple of settlers to fill the space.

Continental war
50BC Arabs declared war to me. I welcomed that as I could push them off my continent and concentrate on Zulus
50AD War was declared to Zulus which lasted to 360AD. Due to my impatience and distractions (pushing off Arabs, finishing Carthage 320-360AD, barbs) I attacked with suboptimal troops and got only couple of cities. I have also lacked settlers in placec to fill the gap and Greeks decided to settle in.

Thus I rather concluded peace in 360AD.

Sipahi
I have researched Military tradition in 420. I had prebuilt some Knights/Horsemen so I changed tax settings to get quick gold for upgrades
440 AD I have attacked Arabs on their continent and immediately entered GA. Greeks declared war to me in 550 AD. Arabs were destroyed in 570AD, and Greeks were reduced to one island city in 620.
. They were destroyed in 690AD.

Zulu incident
During the Greco-Arabian campaign another Sipahi force was produced and used to Destroy Zulus in 640-750AD

Final invasion
Just as the war with Zulus proceeded with sufficient forces, the newly created reinforcements and the forces remained after Greco-Arabian conquest were assembled in preparation of the final invasion. Forces were transported via the former Arabia and Greece so that only two channels had to be crossed, because my navy was scarce.
I signed ROP with all remaining nations with a dark intentions:

You can see the stacks of Sipahis marked red. However, the English intentions were even darker as their single Archer (marked blue) attacked me the turn before I could start a sneak attack on French (830AD). The alliance were forged with France and Vikings against the English. The English were destroyed by 880 AD, before the slow moving French armies made contact with them. With their armies in former English territory, the French were overrun in 2 turns with most units outside their cities. Vikings took me 3 turns to conquer as they garrisoned their cities with musketmen and they have several cities on hills.

The End
In the End my army counted 70 Sipahis.
Firaxis score: 6695
Jason score: 10493
Time played: 28:51:12

Edit:
Almost forgot the minimap evolution

Bottom line question
This is my 3rd submission to GOTM/COTM. Since I already achieved Domination and Spaceship in GOTM34 and COTM04 I have pursued conquest this time. However I had to raze/abandon cities to avoid domination victory. I could reach Domination 5 turns earlier than Conquest.
My question therefore is: If I pursued max Jason score, which would be better Conquest or Domination? Is there any rule of thumb?

I also pursued the bloodlust game although not as fast as the top players but I am learning. Never thought the ROP was so powerful. I ended up with a DOM victory in 860AD. Not bad considering how I neglected my military at the beginning of the game.

I entered the MA and started a war with CART but did not have the power to wipe them out. So I sued for peace and started an all out effort to build my military. I essentially went from 200AD to 450AD just building my military. I also should have skipped Chivalry and gone stright for MT which I learned in 440AD.

So I restarted the war with the CARTs and eliminate them in 510AD. I eliminate the Zulus in 640AD, Arabia in 690AD, Greece down to the small island by 730AD. Then I cross the ocean from former GreeK lands to France and DOW on them.

Horragoth,

Nice graphics. What graphic pack are you using?

Thanks,

Deny

denyd said:
Horragoth,

Nice graphics. What graphic pack are you using?
He answered the same question here in the first spoiler :)

@Megalou: Thanks for the hint, I have missed this one.
@denyd: As AlanH already said, I have answered in detail in previous spoiler. In short it is modified Womok's pack.

After spending most of the Ancient Times trying to build an empire (previous spoiler Part I, Part II), I spent the better part of the Middle Ages building horses.

I started a smaller war with the Zulu in 150BC to get their luxuries. I didn't get that but I did get two leaders.

I researched Military Tradition in 300AD, at which point I had more than 70 horsemen. I gradually upgraded them and started eliminating the AI civs. I didn't have the guts to invade the far continent with suicide galleys so I also researched Astronomy and eventually Navigation. I could have reached the domination limit in 570AD but decided to go for conquest so from then on I razed most of the cities I captured.

I eliminated all other civs in 610AD and achieved conquest victory in 620AD.

Minimap summary

Turn log

490BC I think I have the barbarians under control so I revolt. 5 turns anarchy.Incidentally the first galley is ready just in time. It starts exploring towards the South of the Greek-Arabian island.

390BC We are now a happy republic. Feudalism in 6 turns. I start a palace pre-build in the FP city as a perparation for Leonardo's. It will take 50 turns to finish. I hope to be able to time it so that it will be ready by the time I research Military Tradition and then do a mass upgrade.

Originally I didn't plan to have any wars until I have sipahis, but the lack of luxuries is crippling. The Zulu have 2 luxuries I don't, so I start to move my troops to their border.

370BC I give away Republic to all four neighbors. I get 1 worker from the Arabs in exchange, and some gold from the others, but this is basically a gift to make sure that they change to Republic and a.) generate more gold for me to get and b.) decrease their ability to wage war. As expected all four of them immediately go to anarchy. I could have gotten Monotheism from the Greeks for Republic and Engineering but I don't want to give away any tech that's on the way to Military Tradition.

350BC I meet an English galley, and it turns out that they sold my contacts to the Vikings already. The English are surprisingly well developed, the only tech I could give them is Engineering. The Vikings are lame. I give them Republic for World Map and contact with French. The French are even more lame. The English though have not only all the techs, but also a bunch of gold. I don't want to give them Engineering, but amazingly, they give me all their money (276 gold + 2 gpt) for my World Map and contact with Carthage.

150BC I amassed about 10 horsemen and a couple of other units on the Zulu border by now so I decide to attack them. The very first attack generates a great leader. I don't think I've seen anything like this before. This is my first war, so far I was fighting only barbarians. Anyway, I use the leader to rush Sun-Tzu's in the Zulu city I just captured. I go through all the cities and sell all my barracks, except one where the city is going to finish a horseman next turn. I will sell that barracks next turn.

My only galley finds new, unsettled land. Looks like only a small island though.

Quick unit count: 10 workers, 2 settlers, 8 warriors, 4 archers, 1 spearman, 20 horseman, 1 galley. Number of warriors is way too high. I am going to move them to the low production cities and disband them. The spearman is an elite and is near the Zulu border so I keep him. Three of the archers are also neer the front, the fourth will be disbanded.

50BC Another leader appears. I don't really know what to do with him, eventually I decide to use him to rush Leonardo's and I switch production in the FP city to Colosseum. 84 shields wasted...

I sell Engineering to the Greeks for 20 gpt and 93 gold. Nobody else is willing to pay anything remotely reasonable. I gift Republic to the French.

90AD I capture a Zulu city surrounded by 3 swordsmen and an archer and I have no way to move in more troops than the injured horsemen that captured the city, so I am forced to make peace. The only problem with this is that I didn't caputre any luxuries. The good news is that I am pretty close, so once the road reachs the border (the Zulus didn't build any infrastructure), I can attack again and hook up wines quickly. Spices are still far away, would have to go through 2 cities and one of them is the Zulu capital. That's probably not going to happen until the sipahis arrive, ie. about 15 turns from now.

110AD I give Invention to the Greeks and Arabs for Monotheism, about 50 gpt and 150 gold total.

300AD Military Tradition is researched. I set science to 0% and make all the specialists tax collectors; I am making 241 now. Greece, Arabia and England now have Theology; I sell Monotheism to France and Scandinavia for 10 and 8 gold respectively so that they might aquire Theology and thus make it cheaper for me. I also need the gold to make sure I have at least 280 gold next turn and can upgrade 4 sipahis. To this effect I also sell Invention for 27 gold to the Carthaginians. I now have 54 gold.

Greece is willing to pay 35 gpt, 90 gold, and Theology for Gunpowder (Arabia and England would also pay smaller amounts) but musketmen would slow my upcoming conquest so I resist the temptation.

310AD The Greeks are not willing to give me all their money for Gunpowder any more. I seem to remember that this is an indication that they are about to research it. I also make an interesting discovery: the Greeks don't have any saltpeter and the Arabs have only one (even that is unconnected). So in the worst case the knowledge of Gunpowder will result in a few Arabian musketmen. The English and the French don't have any saltpeter, although there is one unclaimed source between their territories. It is however clear that by the time I get to them, they will have to knowledge of Gunpowder, one way or the other.

So I sell Gunpowder for 45 gpt, 130 gold, and Theology to Greece, 8 gpt and 30 gold to Arabia, and 10 gpt and 35 gold to England. I am now making 314 gpt and I was able to upgrade 7 horsemen to sipahi. I still have 67 horsemen; it would take over 15 turns to upgrade all of them at this rate so I hope the Golden Age will increase my income significantly.

I move a few citizens around to make sure I am making maximum money; now I am up to 320gpt. To be honest unit costs (118gpt) are killing me. I have 16 workers, I should join most of those into cities when the Zulu luxuries come online. I also have 2 archers, those will be disbanded as soon as the Zulu military is trimmed back sufficiently. Apart from that, there is not much I can do. Oh, capturing cities will also help with unit support. :)

320AD I attack the Zulu. Wines are online, max population is now 8 with Marketplace and 6 without. I start moving former specialists to work in size 6 cities and joining workers to cities with Marketplace. Now I am making 485 gpt. I will be able to upgrade 7 sipahis next turn; I have 10 on the front, three elites -- perfect match.

I lost 2 horsemen while attacking the Zulu as I didn't want to use sipahis for "easy" targets. This was probably a mistake. From now on I will attack only with sipahis.

330AD I capture the Zulu capital. The previous two cities didn't have any resisting citizens, this one has 4. Hopefully not for long. A culture flip would be ridiculous, nevertheless I park a few sipahis outside of the city.
I am now making 522 gpt. I want at least 15 sipahis before I attack Carthage, that's 2 turns.

350AD Spices are online. Pop limit is 11 with Marketplace and 7 without. I think unhappiness ceased to be the bottleneck for population growth. The two cities with granaries will finish marketplaces in 2 and 3 turns respecitvely. They will start cranking out workers then, which I will join to other cities.

360AD The campaign against the Zulu is progressing so well that I order back the reinforcements that I thought would be needed due to the original loss of horsemen. As a matter of fact they are willing to talk peace and give me their remote city on that island. I pass on this offer for now as I built a galley anyway just for this purpose. At the very least I want to capture all their cities except their capital before I negotiate.

I attack Carthage. I now own the Pyramids, this makes my previous remark about "cities with granaries" meaningless. The strategy from now on is to produce workers in size 6 cities that can't grow further due to lack of aqueduct.

England, Arabia, and Greece are getting quite rich. In two turns, when a previous gpt contract runs out, I will sell them Chemistry.

370AD I make peace with the Zulu to get their island city, and then I capture their last city in the same turn. The Zulu are gone.

380AD I attack the Arabs. All their cities on my continent are gone. I also land 10 sipahis on their island. Carthage is down to 1 city, will be gone next round.

I sell Chemistry to Greece and England. I am making 728 gpt now. I upgrade 12 more horsemen. Troop count: 13 workers, 11 horsemen, 6 galleys, 64 sipahis.

390AD One of the former Carthaginian cities deposed so Hannibal will live for another turn. I capture two cities on the Arab island. I do lose a few sipahis.

400AD I am making 500 gpt while researching Education at maximum speed. Looks like I will have Astronomy in 8 turns, and then the invasion of France can begin. I am not even sure if I can cut trhough the Arabs and Greeks so fast. I might need to tone down research. In any case, I order 5 galleys to move to the nearest point to France. In the meantime, I spend all my money on rushing libraries.

450AD My worries of not being able to cut through the Arabs and Greeks fast enough were unfounded. A stack of sipahi is waiting at the nearest point to France for the galleys to arrive. The galleys will be upgraded to caravels; for this reason I will have to rush a harbor in that Greek city.

470AD The Greeks are willing to pay 23 gpt and 105 gold for peace. I am tempted but I am afraid that their cities will flip back if I dont eliminate them. They seem to have learned from the Zulu history because they are not willing to give me their remote city.

480AD A Greek city flips, I recapture it. Greece is now down to 1 city, which is on an island far away. I make peace; they are still able to pay 35 gpt.

490AD 9 sipahis are sailing towards Avignon. I have 80 total, plus 6 horsemen. Most of them on the Greek island. I have 5 caravels near Avignon and one round takes 6 turns. Way too much. I am researching Navigation in the hopes that a Leader appears and I can build Magellan's. Not sure how this would happen though as I am at peace with everyone. I am thinking that a RoP rape would be the fastest way to get rid of France. I build an embassy. Maybe I should rush a few more caravels there instead of counting on a leader...

510AD 125 tiles to domination limit. I started to move slave workers to the (former) Greek costal cities so that I can disband them and rush a caravel for relatively cheap every turn. I think I will be able to move my entire army to France in about 8 turns.

570AD I am 79 tiles from domination and I am ready to attack the French. I will take at least 7 cities in the first wave but possibly 9. Another city will also expand in culture next turn. I need to decide whether I want to go for domination or conquest victory. Conquest will take at least another 5 turns as it will take that long to get to the last Greek city.

I decide to go for conquest in the hope for a higher Jason-score. I sign a RoP agreement with the English and the Vikings and break the same with the French. I capture all but 1 of their cities and raze many of them. A leader appears and helps to build Magellan's in Avignon.

600AD The two caravels reach the last Greek city. I sign a RoP agreement with the Greeks and unload 6 sipahi. On the English/Viking continent, I move approximately 80 sipahis into position. The placement is less than optimal but I think I should be able to take all English and Viking cities next turn.

610AD The Vikings declare war on us! At first I was impressed by this "artificially intelligent" move, but the truth is that they declare war on me in order to be able to capture a lame undefended city that I captured from the French and was too lazy to abandon. I don't think they attacked any of my units sitting in their territory, even though I saw several berserks earlier so they could have done some demage easily. Nevertheless, this unexpected event still almost messed up my plan, as now I had one more city to capture, but eventually I succeeded. A leader appears amidst the fight but he won't be needed.

I razed all cities except 2 for strategical purposes and 1 by accident. 11 tiles below domination limit. One city's borders will expand next turn but it will increase my territory by only 3-4 tiles. Shift+Enter...

620AD Conquest victory after 25 hours, Firaxis score 7281 points, Jason score 10950.

Open, [ptw]1.29, scientific

link to AA report

I researched to Mil Trad first after entering the MA, and let the Sipahi trigger the GA by warring against the Zulu. I stuffed the conquered land with cities to make up for the staggering unit upkeep cost. I think I had a bit too many... :mischief:

In the golden age we researched all the way into the IA, in 780AD. I built Copernicus' in Sogut in 640AD and got a leader for Newton's on top of that in 700AD. The big mistake I made is building no courthouses. I didn't realise until later in the game that they are extremely influencial on the beaker output from the first and second ring cities.

In the picture you can see that the Babs were conquering Greece to my dismay. But, as was the case in other games, they build an island city that would be secure for the rest of the game. They were extremely rich and helped keeping research at max when the golden age was over. They got however the same tech as I did when I gifted them into the IA, Steam Power.

Attachments

• SpOdd_gotm35_710AD.JPG
    SpOdd_gotm35_710AD.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 169
PTW - Open - Scientific

Ancient Ages Post

Still going 20K, I really slowed things down in the MA, They didn't end till 1060 AD.

Entering the MA I am in Republic, and will be till the end of the game.

Got all the contacts, and kept the English/French/Scandinavians isolated from the Greeks/Arabs for quite a while. All the while just using Sogut to build wonders.

First was Carthage. They had two cities on the land bridge, and I wanted to have access to attack Zulu when I chose. This was also a leader farming event, but none showed (IIRC). When done, they had only one city left.

After that my thought was to delay war till I had Siphi, but Zulu declared war on me while I was still building my horseman armies. I had disconnected iron to build a mass of upgradable horsies.
I immediately upgraded about 25 horses to knights and proceeded to head down the land bridge. While I was at it I decided to aquire the two luxuries they had that I didn't. I also razed Zimbabwe. (I did this because of possible culture conversion) I kept all other captured Zulu cities. I left them with about 6 cities.
During the war I would attack with elites till I got a leader, then pull the elites back and attack with veterans till the leader could get to Sogut to rush a wonder. I got two or three in this war, Sorry, but I can't read my notes.

After the Zulu war, I had a short war against Carthage. This was another leader farming exercise, I attacked with only elite knights till I got a leader on a longbow.

I got all the main wonders I wanted. The only one I wanted that I didn't get was Copernicus.

I hardly used the Siphi at all, as Zulu and Carthage were mostly dead. They did make for an entertaining 1 turn blitz, taking 5 of the 6 remaining zulu cities on the starting land mass.

MA Culture
30 AD: Cathedral
540 AD: Sistine Chapel
560 AD: University
810 AD: JS Bach
830 AD: Shakespeare's Theatre
930 AD: Adam Smith
1090 AD: Newton's (Actually just into the IA)

Top Bottom