GOTM 36

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
Amid your travels of the seas your sailing ship was hit by a thundering storm and was splintered amongst the winds and rain. You and two bands of Settlers are all that survived. It is time to rebuild your lands; they await your command as Philip II of the not yet mighty Spanish Empire.

The game settings:
Deity Level
Normal Size Map
Small Land Mass
Archipelago Land Form
Wet Climate
Cool Temperature
3 Billion Age
7 Random Civs scattered around the map
Random barb Level

Starting Techs:
Alphabet
Bronze Working
Ceremonial Burial
Iron working
Warrior Code

Download the GOTM

Games are due February 7th

Nice... A deity-game!

This is what I love about the GOTM feature. I motivates me to play the kinds of games I usually wouldn't play. I'm afraid I won't be able to handle deity, so I usually stick to king. Even emperor seems difficult at times. Hope I'll even finnish with a SS in this one. And the settings in this game, nothing I'd ever try on my own!

Thanks DoM for the great work and imaginative games/game settings!

:thanx:

Barbs look like Restless Tribes (+0).

Were Restarts On or Off (or is figuring that out part of the "fun")?

My quick check looks like there should be at least one decent 4-special OCC site nearby...

ElephantU --

I wonder if we should note this to a certain audience interested in such OCC opportunities? :scan:

Sorry: OCC is short for One City Challenge, a special kind of game where you are allowed to reload a hut outcome if it comes out as Advanced Tribe (2nd city) only. There is a page of rules and play suggestions at:

http://www.paulvdb.cistron.nl/occ/occ.htm

Special tiles not visible are called "hidden specials". You can guess from the patterns where they should be, and Mine the Grass to see if it is there. Other players have created a utility program called HutFinder that can tell you exactly where the special tiles (and huts) are just by inputting the coordinates of any one hut. Transforming the land will get you different special tiles, in relationship to the terrain they are found on (ie you cannot transform a Pheasant into a Silk, or Pheasant to Wheat).

Originally posted by Old n Slow

I wonder if we should note this to a certain audience interested in such OCC opportunities? :scan:

The only departure from recent norms over there is the large pile of freebie starting techs...

Originally posted by ElephantU
Other players have created a utility program called HutFinder that can tell you exactly where the special tiles (and huts) are

This deserves a special Hall of Fame IMO:

The discovery was made by samson (the best civ2 player of all times IMHO) and the program was written by my friend SG[1].

Hello. I am anothether french mad of CIV2. I loaded the GOTM 36 yesterday.
I think it's easy to win on deity level, with small land mass, on small or normal land mass. I did a map with a lot of small islands, and I win also in deity+1 .

The IA doesn't choice the good research path (To Cartography). So when you do it and make a lot of cities, win is not too difficult.

I play for the fun, so I never use HutFinder, only sometimes I choice OEDO's Year for revolutions. So I stopped to game OCC, it needs to be too serious !

A first poster -- and one who claims that deity is surmountable. :D

ElephantU is another OCC player -- and quite accomplished I might add. Did you decide to do GOTM 36 with the single city?

Being not civ-fit, I need time to recover from my marathon of a game in GOTM35. Hope to put in a effort before the dateline. Welcome contrast though and as always consumate skill in GOTM design and selection, Duke!

What kind of rules i must know for that game?

are shipcains allowed? rehoming carawans? other forbidden things?

Welcome to GOTM, AiC

Shipchains and caravan rehoming are allowed.

Reloading (when you are not satisfied with the outcome of a hut or a battle, for example) is forbidden.

Have a look at the rules if you wish to know more.

... and have fun :)

If you move a caravan into another city you can click on it in the City screen and you will get "Support from this city" as an option. It works in Classic/2.42 and MGE; what version are you using?

Top Bottom