Gotm 41

When I used the map editor (and I'm new to that) to create a 40x250 map, the corners number only 39,249. I specified a flat world. I can't get to the 47, something location that the starting Settler is at.
Why is that?

Okay, I tried it with a sample map and you're right. But if I am trying to create a map to match a game map and set the starting point with Huts/Specials/Terrain to match do I need to start at the same point? This game starts at 47, xxx. How do I find that point on a map while I am creating it? Or do I just start at any point and then match the terrain and select a seed resource to match the huts/specials. By doing it anywhere it won't make a difference if I am just trying to find the best site for the first city, right?

The game map and the Map Editor display the same map but number the X coordinates differently. The Map Editor numbers them by incrementing pairs of even/odd columns by 1; the game map numbers them sequentially (thus doubling the apparent number of X columns). Take the game map X coordinate, divide by 2 and discard the remainder to find the same coordinate in Map Editor. And it does matter where you start drawing in the Map Editor, since not all starting points will be able to be matched with an identical Resource Seed pattern. Note that as in this game, there are two Resource Seeds that will give identical starting "looking" positions because the grass hides some of the Specials. You need to explore the map to find Specials that confirm the Seed before you can depend entirely on what you draw in Map Editor.

Is there a way to print a blank grid pattern so I can draw a starting site and then mark the land, sea, etc. as I black click? I have printed out the basic grid pattern of huts/specials but can't find an editor program that will let me make all the squares blank.

If you want paper, try PrintScreen You can "Paste" the image captured into MSPaint, Photo Editor or many decent word processors, clip it, then print. Just PrtScr from a blank map in MapEditor.

I start a blank map in MapEditor as a separate window while I am black-clicking, filling in unknown land tiles with Tundra. Then I plot critical tiles like the centers of 3-specials and 4-specials with Glacier tiles so they stand out more. Tundra over Whale is Furs, and over Fish is Ox.

mangor420 said:
used LaFayettes elephant attack plan. won conquest in 380.a.d.

Hi all, a newbie here de-lurking to ask the obvious question: what exactly is LaFayettes elephant attack plan?

i always play on largest map diety would build horses and then leos to upgrade them to calvery.a member named Lafayette said on lower levels smaller map all you needed was elephants to go attack. he was right. in this game i built one wonder the lighthouse.sent out explorers to hut hunt,then elephants to kill

Surtac said:
what exactly is LaFayettes elephant attack plan?

In the early game, the best defenders you may come across are phalanxes, archers and legions: all of them have defence = 2. This means that a fortified vet defender has defense = 4 (+ terrain defense bonus).
Vet elephants (attack = 6) win any battle very easily, except in case of high defensive bonus (or city walls, of course).
Therefore, if you research Polytheism early and don't forget to build barracks, you can conquer the world before the AI really starts building walls.

(just one more point: be careful and try to avoid counter attacks, because your elephants are fragile in defence; this usually means that you should attack any city with a number of ellies that is at least equal to the size of the city).

Some civs like the chinese and the egyptians seem to occassionally throw up city walls, which proves to be incredibly annoying for the elephant attack. Fortunately, the computer rarely builds up very quickly even on deity, so you will only run accross this circumstance once in a while. If you do make sure you have some diplomats along side the elephants.

Top Bottom