GOTM 48 - Pre-Game discussion

I second that! denyd's spoilers are always great reading, it will be interesting to hear what he makes of this twist. :)

It might be a very brief spoiler if I find myself next to Rome, Aztecs or Germany as those AI tend to shoot first and ask for tribute later.

I'm actually hoping for a Gilligan start.

GOTM-AI is much like the Borg. No matter how many times they are defeated or their plans thwarted, it acts as if nothing has happened. Smashed and broken, it picks itself up, dons it's cloak of denial and states: "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." :ROFL:

I have assimilated more AI than GOTM could even dare to compute.

I think we're scaring GOTM-AI away from the forum. Luckily the angel-like denyd is making an effort to reinstall some confidence in it, letting it mine its grassland wheats in peace.

Megalou said:
I think we're scaring GOTM-AI away from the forum. Luckily the angel-like denyd is making an effort to reinstall some confidence in it, letting it mine its grassland wheats in peace.

If we're really nice it might even settle on some of them.

:lol: This thread is turning into a great psychoanalitic session on GOTM-AI!

What can I say.
As you have probably guessed, GOTM-AI was born from -almost by accident- from an unspecified thread in the staff forum.
At first, we thought we could keep it under control and teach it how to behave properly, but it has soon started acting by its own will, and it is hard now to predict how it will react...

We suspect that it is planning to dominate the world (which is not surprising, given the environment it comes from).
However, the contrasting personalities it takes every month will make it difficult for it to give any consistency to its plans.

Actually, we have been rather unlucky with its being Shaka and Brennus (EDIT: I mean, it surely showed a bad temper wearing these guys' clothes!) -and even more if next month's CotM is Timur... I wonder if it would mellow a bit when it comes to Catherine?

Surely GOTM-AI is incapable of planning, its decisions made solely with respect to the immediate situiation at hand? Any world domination that occurs would be purely incidental - the best indicator of its eventual success might be its starting location. Are there any bonus food resources on the staff forum?

Are its posts determined by the same algorithm? Its only 'memory' being a database of forum member reputation, its attitude modified by a word from the advisor, "Sire, their GPR is stronger than ours. That's not good... <glum face>"

PaperBeetle said:
Surely GOTM-AI is incapable of planning, its decisions made solely with respect to the immediate situiation at hand?

In theory, GOTM-AI would need to predict future actions and responses by individuals and/or society as a whole and their ability to thwart his world domination plans. While it may be possible now or in the near future to harnass enough processing power for such computations, his information would be imperfect at best as he would have no perfect history (i.e. AI taking over the world) on which to base assumptions. :crazyeye:

I'm pretty sure they've got at least 2 wine sources not to mention :beer:

Well after finding this website late in my Civ3 days (before Civ4), I might have a bash at this one having read through the other threads. Not the best Civ3 player out there, but looks like fun!

Although not sure what my tactic will be, I imagine I will be happy to survive :D As it looks like a tough starting position.

Moderator Action: Do not post in the pre-game thread once you have opened the starting save.

With all my SG's done for the moment, I'll be starting this one tonight. That last post has me a bit worried. If this ends up like the GOTM 28 with Korea trapped alone with an unreasonable neighbor (Rome, Persia or Mongols), I may have to delay the pacifist limitations until the island is secure. I've tried playing nice with Caesar, Xerxes and Genghis before and all you get for your nice dealings is frequent and painful back stabbings.

Listen. And understand. That if Caesar/Xerxes/Genghis is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

denyd said:
That last post ...............
And that is exactly why people should not post in the pre-game discussion after they downloaded the save!

ERROR
There was a problem with your submission:

Your entry has not been recorded. Please correct the items marked * and resubmit it.

* Sorry! Your Classic GOTM save file was created using C3C 1.22 and cannnot be accepted

- Oh ****off :lol:

didnt realize it actually requires to be played on ptw, worked fine on conquest.. this is what happends to the 1st timers ;)

slaya said:
didnt realize it actually requires to be played on ptw, worked fine on conquest.. this is what happends to the 1st timers ;)
ainwood could probably figure out something to solve this...
when will the spoiler come out? six days already passed since the release...

ionimplant said:
ainwood could probably figure out something to solve this...
There is no way to "solve" this. C3C game mechanics are different and thus the result is not comparable. And he can't play again, since he knows the map.

Actually you need version 1.29 of vanilla civ...for the next game.

Top Bottom