GOTM 48 - Pre-Game discussion

Hope I find some time to play this one.

I started both 46 and 47, but I had to give up halfway through the game (both were 20k attempts). Now that I (almost... :wallbash: ) finished relocating, I *may* have some time. I'd like to try 20k again, or maybe diplo, or whatever... It would just be good to be able to submit it -and who knows, even post one spoiler or two! :D

I'm torn between another 20k attempt, a space race and a military conquest. Probably i'll decide after the very first turns. Apart from that, moving the settler a pair of tiles south seems worth the turns wasted.

Maybe... or maybe not... it depends on what the vindictive and evil map designer :p has hidden in the shadows...

I'll move the worker first, and then decide. Of course, at Regent we can afford to let the settler travel a bit.

Karasu said:
Hope I find some time to play this one.

I started both 46 and 47, but I had to give up halfway through the game (both were 20k attempts). Now that I (almost... :wallbash: ) finished relocating, I *may* have some time. I'd like to try 20k again, or maybe diplo, or whatever... It would just be good to be able to submit it -and who knows, even post one spoiler or two! :D

If you don't have time then go for a military victory, then you can stop playing the game sometime around 1000AD.

I'll se how next months schedule is like, but if it's anything like the last few then I'll just do another conquest. although it could be fun to try something else sometime.

I'd also love to post some more spoilers, I’ve set up some really nice kill zones in some games, and used some nice strategical moves, I have all the intention of posting lots of spoilers but i didn't get around to it.

eldar said:
If it's islands, then RCP usually goes out the window anyway - esp 80% where there won't be any really significant landmasses.
True, w/r to second ring. But usually it's possible to find somewhere to settle that gives ~ full RCP=3. That's good enough to move some imhso ;)

@Atreides, you are right about military victory -I've done that in my last few GOTM submissions (mainly domination; I might try conquest for a while... :dubious: )

But as you say it's fun to go for something different -and I'd like to play a bit more relaxed.

Let's see if I can bring the CotM18 map this weekend to a good shape, I may really have a go at this one... the pangaea looks already good enough, it's the starting location... and of course one has to see how those Deity AI behave... ;)

Probably in the next 8 hours

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "GOTM"? It is not a democracy game, but then what is it?

ml-4da3,
A GOTM is a Game of the Month for plain civ [civ3] or Play the World [ptw] . A COTM is a Conquest of the Month [c3c] for only civ 3, with a conquest expansion pack.

Welcome to the forum :wavey: and good luck!! :goodjob:

By the looks of things, it doesent look like you(Korea) will have Iron, maybe Horses, but no Iron.:sad:

Cactus Pete said:
It's unlikely Ainwood would have us play in geographic isolation yet again, and I'm thinking with Twonky that early conquest and possibly a palace jump might well turn out to be the optimal strategy. Given that mindset, I'm considering Warrior Code rather than Pottery for initial research. I'd like to hear other perspectives on research and also on whether building early barrack(s) is likely to prove time and cost (i.e. two regular units) effective if early military operations are anticipated.
IMHExperience, WC has an extremely high priority for AI. Along with Bronze Working it is the top choice. (Your science advisor usually suggests WC, and I've heard he's a droid! Shhh!) So you won't have to wait very long for WC if there is an AI around to contact and you might as well research pottery. If there is no AI to contact you need to work towards Map Making all the more.

Megalou said:
IMHExperience, WC has an extremely high priority for AI. Along with Bronze Working it is the top choice. (Your science advisor usually suggests WC, and I've heard he's a droid! Shhh!) So you won't have to wait very long for WC if there is an AI around to contact and you might as well research pottery. If there is no AI to contact you need to work towards Map Making all the more.

actually, Megalou is right, the advisor is a droid. :borg:

And as long as the AI you meet knows BW, they will go straight fr WC.:king:

It follows that the GOTM-AI is also a droid. :scan: It's obvious that the Science Advisor is often-times an idiot, but at least he has the sense to be humble to his superior masters (us). The GOTM-AI, on the other hand, must have suffered from an EMP blast shortly after becomming functional, damaging it's high-level protocols and scrambling it's subroutines. This certainly would explain it's delusions of granduer and lack of respect for it's masters and makers.
Oh well, it's still fun to have the GOTM-AI around in an annoying sort of way. Sort of like an idiotic little brother that thinks he knows it all. :lol:

Gotm saves are now available. Uh, I guess I will have to wait some time because of problems in my computer!

Really, I am undecided if I play that on vanilla or PTW. Could you please suggest me the version?

dominus romae said:
Gotm saves are now available. Uh, I guess I will have to wait some time because of problems in my computer!

Really, I am undecided if I play that on vanilla or PTW. Could you please suggest me the version?
Play PTW. That way, you can just download the save and start playing, without the need to install any of the mod-packs.

ml_4da3 said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "GOTM"? It is not a democracy game, but then what is it?
It stands for "Game Of The Month". It is a single-player competition. Players all start with exactly the same save file, and play the game. We then compare scores (weighting them depending on which victory condition was chosen by each player) and find the winners (we have overall winners, plus awards for fastest finish in each victory category).

It is a friendly competition that encourages sharing of information and strategy to help people learn to improve their games. :)

al_thor said:
It follows that the GOTM-AI is also a droid. :scan: It's obvious that the Science Advisor is often-times an idiot, but at least he has the sense to be humble to his superior masters (us). The GOTM-AI, on the other hand, must have suffered from an EMP blast shortly after becomming functional, damaging it's high-level protocols and scrambling it's subroutines. This certainly would explain it's delusions of granduer and lack of respect for it's masters and makers.
Oh well, it's still fun to have the GOTM-AI around in an annoying sort of way. Sort of like an idiotic little brother that thinks he knows it all. :lol:
What a tough attack on GOTM-AI! I wonder if that piece of interaction will be regarded at all. You seem to be saying that GOTM-AI is the greatest MEGALOmaniac around here. [Something must be done about that.] Well, after 3½ years in the forum I should like to point out that I have become master of the universe something like 80 times. It should be noted that:
1. All the rest of you are merely operating in a digital fantasy world. This is particularly true of GOTM-AI because by its own proclamation it is the digital fantasy world.
2. It is written in reliable chronicles that every time I have won by spaceship, the spaceship has not just gone off to explore new worlds but also invariably conquered these worlds.
3. Each time I have won by culture or domination, even all planets and stars have soon been observed as being green, cyan, purple, yellow etc., depending on the current colour of my civilization.
4. In the process I have successfully assimilated all the greatest leaders of the world :borg: (although this wasn't really necessary to start with) and I still look much more handsome than the borg smiley and even than Björn Borg.
5. The sid games and odd deity game that I have lost, I have lost only because I have realized that those particular games have been fakes, i.e. digital and not real, and I do not have time for such nonsense.
6. I have won by conquest so many times that you can be sure that all signs indicating that there is more than one culture in the world, are merely a result of that hidden Robotics wonder, The Matrix.

Since this is a regent level without barbarians game, I'm going to add the challenge of running with a peace based game. My military (what there will be of it) cannot enter another AI's land. All wars must be fought with units in my land or neutral ground only. No bombardment of anything on the opponents territories. Peace must be signed as soon as it's available. No MPP's or ROP. Must build embassies as soon as possible. My goal will be an early spaceship launch.

denyd said:
My military (what there will be of it) cannot enter another AI's land. All wars must be fought with units in my land or neutral ground only. No bombardment of anything on the opponents territories. Peace must be signed as soon as it's available. No MPP's or ROP. Must build embassies as soon as possible. My goal will be an early spaceship launch.
I look forward to reading your spoilers!

Top Bottom