GOTM 48 - Pre-Game discussion

hmm, this doesn't seem to be a very 20k-friendly starting position... maybe i should have a change...

Shumble, You have to change the map to large i guess.

There better be a river nearby or else those plains will be worthless. Hwacha is a useless UU. Who uses cannons anyway? Ainwood, do you get the pike at start or do you build them instead of spears? :confused:

killerkid said:
Shumble, You have to change the map to large i guess.

There better be a river nearby or else those plains will be worthless. Hwacha is a useless UU. Who uses cannons anyway? Ainwood, do you get the pike at start or do you build them instead of spears? :confused:
Conquest players get it at the start. They build spears as normal.

shumble said:
Actually, I can't even figure out how to get the Koreans or to change the number of rivals to 11. Is there an easy way to do this?
Get bluebox's modded BIC file. Set up a scenario and run it from there. :)

@shumble: To get 11 rivals you would have to create a custom map in the editor (keep your eyes closed ;)). And since you can't get the Koreans, I assume you're playing vanilla? In that case you need to start from the GotM setup, to just start a game you'd do that via the scenarios section, don't know how to get it in the editor though.

SS with the settler seems obvious imhso, buth due to RCP and to the hint of jungle/grass. Problem with settling SS is that you can't really get a good ring there either so there's always a chance that I'll gamble and move even further.

Just realised the PTW editor isn't installed if you install PTW with the C3C disc - I installed this way so I don't have to swap CDs to play either version - so I can't make a .bix (I can make a .biq out of the Civ3X.bix, but I'd have to play it with C3C and the C3C corruption model).

So...

1. If I just drag the Civ3EditX.exe off of the PTW CD, will it work? Or;
2. Does the PTW editor get installed with Complete?

Capt Buttkick said:
SS with the settler seems obvious imhso, buth due to RCP and to the hint of jungle/grass. Problem with settling SS is that you can't really get a good ring there either so there's always a chance that I'll gamble and move even further.

If it's islands, then RCP usually goes out the window anyway - esp 80% where there won't be any really significant landmasses.

denyd said:
and has lethal land bombardment which can initiate a golden age.

DBear said:
This is PTW, so the Hwacha doesn't have lethal bombardment.

So what you're saying is that the Hwacha only initiates the golden age when it does lethal bombardment... but then it doesn’t do lethal bombardment.
Does that mean that Hwacha cannot initiate GA or that it now initiates GA with the first hit of bombardment instead of with lethal bombardment?

Getting up a nice RCP might indeed be a problem in this game. I´m already thinking about a palace jump towards a nice AI capital. That means no great wonders in Seoul and minimal city improvements only. One could even think about building a ring around city#2, which will later have the FP.
Another point is how to get a GA. I probably won´t kill anything with those Hwachas I won´t build, so it´s down to wonders. COM is easy: either The Colossus or The Great Lighthouse. The latter is very appealing anyway, considering we are on a ´Pelago map. SCI is more of a problem. I won´t build The Great Library, and capturing it is not foreseeable. The only wonder I can think of is Newton´s, which comes rather late with ToG. Or did I miss one here?

This will be difficult. I wonder if anybody will try for a 20K victory here. Not me. :)

Maybe it could be 20K if South there are BGs.

Atriedes: I think DBear is correct, lethal bombardment for Hwacha's didn't get added until C3C, so the only way for Korea to have a Golden Age is via wonders.
For COM:
Colossus
Great Lighthouse
Magellan's Voyage
Smith's Trading Post
United Nations

For SCI
Great Library
Newton's University
Theory of Evolution
Cure for Cancer
Longevity

And of course the Internet which is a all traits.

It's unlikely Ainwood would have us play in geographic isolation yet again, and I'm thinking with Twonky that early conquest and possibly a palace jump might well turn out to be the optimal strategy. Given that mindset, I'm considering Warrior Code rather than Pottery for initial research. I'd like to hear other perspectives on research and also on whether building early barrack(s) is likely to prove time and cost (i.e. two regular units) effective if early military operations are anticipated.

Cactus Pete: Who's to say Ainwood designed this map? Looking at the last 10 XOTM game, 3 have been alone on an island. Considering the level (Regent) and map type (Archipelago), it would be a pretty good guess that if we aren't alone then either our neighbor is one of the toughest AA opponents (Greece, Persia, Rome or Carthage) or we have no AA strategic resources and will forced to use archers for an early warmonger win (or both).

denyd: If Ainwood didn't design this map, then surely he approved it in full knowledge of the recent GOTM history that you reference. Thus, as your reasoning suggests, we are likely in for a difficult early military campaign. You have denyd me your take on my two queries. Like to hear your thoughts . . .

As for early research, I usually go for pottery as it's needed for a granary, is a pre-requisite for Map Making (probably needed on a Archi map) and is one of the cheapest level 1 techs. My first build is usually a scouting unit (warrior or scout) to get some idea if we're alone and if not to trade for those early level techs before someone else gets there first. By the time I've finished pottery, I'll know if I've got any neighbors and whether iron working (for military), writing (for map making) or wheel (if I've got a SCI neighbor probably researching IW). I don't like warring with archers as the losses against spears I consider to be a waste of shields. I usually go for swords, but will settle for horses in a pinch.

Cactus Pete said:
denyd: If Ainwood didn't design this map, then surely he approved it in full knowledge of the recent GOTM history that you reference. Thus, as your reasoning suggests, we are likely in for a difficult early military campaign. You have denyd me your take on my two queries. Like to hear your thoughts . . .
Heehee - I don't "approve" anything - I don't want foreknowledge of any map that I might play. We just have a team of vindictive and evil good map designers.

@Ainwood: I always assumed whoever started the pre-game thread was the one who designed the map. If not you, who? And are you in this one?

Also, can you confirm that there's no Golden Age from H'wachas?

Top Bottom