GOTM 66 Spoiler

True, you have to know that x coordinate in game is double (or double+1) of the x coordinate in the map editor. There are a whole bunch of other rules you have to know as well. I have all of them written down on a small piece of paper which I keep in a box full of such little pieces of paper near the computer I play Civ2 on.

When you give any info about huts or specials to civ2admin, it lists the possible seed numbers. After 2-3 tries, you can usually reduce the list to a single number, and then create a map (a weird saved game actually) showing all hut and special locations. This includes the type of special (fish vs whale type) but no info about unexplored terrain. For example, it shows all possible hut locations, even ones in oceans. The process takes about 5-10 minutes.

It can also tell you how many beakers you have accumulated, the next oedo year, and a few other minor things (settler charges and barb years, IIRC).

My computer crashed , and I was not able to sent last month game...
Many issues with lawyers and personal things also, since I sold my business.

Lord Valuna , Yes, it is a way to find the PERFECT STARTING location.
I created a program based on Excel , using distances between all points of a seed.

I will try to attach the file for the second time

I have been very interested in the idea how people can find the perfect starting location.

I Edited the content of the letter, until the point where the Excel File should be .
I Copy and Pasted the Excel sheet over , a Doc. File , guess thats why it doesnt work

I tried to upload the Excel sheets, for some reason they do not seem to work.
Any idea how I could upload the excel document ??

Thanks Elephant U , I will try it.
I guess ,again since I Copy and Paste from a Doc file , the up;oader would not recognize the Excel File

Almost forgot to send my files.

Did anyone else do an OCC? I don't want to post my date until any other OCCs are done but I'm curious how everyone else did.

I played till 1750 last night. Mongol are down to 1 city. Japanese down to 3. I have forces concentrated near Greek and Viking capitals. Several earlier attempts to capture their capitals have failed. They have vet musketeers behind city walls; I have cavalry. My plan is to wipe out the Japanese, Vikings, and Greeks. I am friends with Romans and Chinese and both are heavy trading partners. Once the military goals are accomplished I will send the mullahs back to their seminaries and put a democracy in. With a treasure chest above 10K and all the unexpired wonders except Pyramids the quest for space that follows should be quick.

Lord Valuna , and whoever is intersted :
Since Im unable to upload my Excel Finder ( Uploader wont take XLS and ZIP files ) If anybody is interested in trying and testing the program I created lo locate seeds, send me an E-Mail to MarioM54@ yahoo.com and I will send the program

THanks

You could put the files out on YouSendIt. The information below is copied from Thunderfall's pinned thread on file uploading. I've never put anything on it, but I've gotten files from people who have used it (or something like it).
Temporary File Hosting

For temporary hosting of large files or if you need to send a big file to another member, you can use the free YouSendIt service, which allows you to upload up to 1 GB and they host the file for 1 week. There is a limited number of downloads per file.

I didn't have enough time last month so I just finished last night . Very bad planing had made me switch from conquest to space ship wich landed on AC on 1879 AD. I've eliminated the romans, greeks and vikings, and chines were my trading partners until around 1800 when they turn against me and sunk a few transports full with vans.
Here are my numbers :
1AD - 17 cities, 17 techs, 3 wonders ( HG, COL, LIGHT) - preparing to invade roman island;
1000 AD - 33 cities, 37 techs, 10 wonders (PYR, HG, COL, LIGHT, KRC, MPE, MC, CO, ME, ST, INC).

Athens and Trondheim both fell in 1754. I had 22 units (19 of them cavalry) prepared for take over of Athens. I actually used 16, 11 of which were lost. Trondheim cost me 3 destroyers and 1 cavalry.

As soon as the new Japanese capital is taken I shall switch back to democracy. It is on a remote island but I should be able to reach it in a few turns.

49 cities in AD 1000, including 2 mongol, 3 viking and all greek cities. In AD 1300 the vikings are almost gone and the chinese have lost 3 cities, in particular their capital. Unfortunately I will not finish on time, the remaining three civilizations have gunpowder and need a bit more effort. No one else has tactics or leadership, though. My strategy was spoiled when railroad was developed by the doomed chinese, canceling Hanging Gardens, but on the upside veteran steal cruisers should make the remaining (naval) warfare easier. Maybe a victory before AD 1500 would have been possible.

Ali Ardavan said:
Athens and Trondheim both fell in 1754. I had 22 units (19 of them cavalry) prepared for take over of Athens. I actually used 16, 11 of which were lost. Trondheim cost me 3 destroyers and 1 cavalry.

As soon as the new Japanese capital is taken I shall switch back to democracy. It is on a remote island but I should be able to reach it in a few turns.
Ouch. What was the matchup -- Non-vet cavalry against gunpowder units on the river? Were there walls? How far were you from espionage (for spies to bring down walls) or machine tools (firepower=2 rocks) or mobile warfare? That sounds like a case where rushing into the attack might have been counter productive, even with that many units at your disposal.

(Although I am notorious for doing anything possible to avoid confilict unless I'm sure I have an advantage)

TimTheEnchanter said:
Ouch. What was the matchup -- Non-vet cavalry against gunpowder units on the river? Were there walls? How far were you from espionage (for spies to bring down walls) or machine tools (firepower=2 rocks) or mobile warfare? That sounds like a case where rushing into the attack might have been counter productive, even with that many units at your disposal.
I started playing a space ship game and wish to finish that way. Sometime before 1500 I got tired of the Greeks and Vikings killing my caravans and sneak attacking here and there. I decided to get rid of them and contain Mongols whom I have been fighting a low scale war with. I switched to Fundamentalism as soon as it was available and started building my military up; first Dragoons and then Cavalry. Unfortunately all my enemies had gunpowder.

Soon Japanese attacked me too and I decided to eliminate them too. The war against Japanese went quickly as they did not initially have gunpowder. Mongol containment went a little slower than planned but not by far.

The war with Vikings did not go well at all. With Greeks it was worse. Both capitals are on river, had city walls, and about 3 vet muskeeters. Furthermore, Athens had no sea access. My first attempt using mostly regular cavalry failed miserably and I lost all my units (about 10 for each capital).

My attempt in 1754 invloved 4 destroyers (3 vet) and 4 Cavalry (some vet) agianst Trondheim which this time had only 2 musketeers. I lost 3 destroyers and 1 cavalry but succeeded. 8 of the 19 Cavalry I used against Athens (which had 4 musketeers this time) were vet.

I did try to take down Athens walls with spies in my earlier attempt but I only had 3 spies there and lost all 3.

I did not have artillery or tanks. Waiting to get them may not have helped much as more than one rival is researching conscription.

I have plenty of cities and plenty of money, so the units were not much of a concern. My biggest concern is staying in Fundamentalism for too long delaying my launch into space. In retrospect, my regrets are:
1. Not accounting for the fact that the cities were on river. (This is embarrasing but I only noticed it when you asked the question.)
2. Not making all vet units. I could have achieved this in 2 ways: rushing barracks or bribing Viking Uppsala which had Sun Tzu. (I eventually did bribe Uppsala but after my failure to capture the 2 capitals.)
3. Not concentrating on one enemy at a time. Although I did accept several cease fire offers and concentrated on 2 or 3 at a time instead of all 4.

Ali Ardavan said:
I did not have artillery or tanks. Waiting to get them may not have helped much as more than one rival is researching conscription.
I certainly understand those issues. I will say I'm pretty sure that, all else being equal, Arty's vs. Rifles are still significantly better than Cavs vs. muskets due to the firepower advantage. Of course they require some engineering support and a beachhead to get them to the city square with full movement left.

TimTheEnchanter said:
all else being equal, Arty's vs. Rifles are still significantly better than Cavs vs. muskets due to the firepower advantage.
True. But remember I started this war with Dragoons and were a long way away from Artillery (which I still do not have). My number one problem was lack of detailed planing and arrogance thinking that I can blow them away in no time because I have superior units and can make plenty more.

Ali Ardavan said:
True. But remember I started this war with Dragoons and were a long way away from Artillery (which I still do not have). My number one problem was lack of detailed planing and arrogance thinking that I can blow them away in no time because I have superior units and can make plenty more.
Oh. Now I get it (I'm a little slow). I've certainly been there before.

Top Bottom