Beware, master Genghis. Wide-eyed primitives from nearby huts tell of
swarms of rampaging mounted visigoths and strangers waving torches burning
down whole cities. Tis a terrible time to venture forth unprotected. While
the land is vast and sparsely populated, the forces of evil and chaos are
well armed and numerous. Keep one hand near thy swordsheath as ye explore
and build!

The game settings
Civilization: Genghis of Mongols
Map: Large, flat map, one large continent with several small outlying islands, six other civs, already settled
Difficulty: King
Barbarians: Raging Hordes barbarians, with some additional enhancements
Restarts: Restarts off, win by conquest

(you have also been gifted a Phalanx for extra defense)

Starting location:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/gotm_games/GOTM80.jpg

Starting Techs:
~ Alphabet
~ Bronze Working

Games will be due on October 6th, 2007.

Saved Game:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_80.shtml

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game.

(From the newbie-section):

Hello all,

I found this site a few weeks ago as I was looking for some Multiplayer Tips for Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition, since I was finally able to light the Civ II fire in my buddy again who hadn't played it for quite some time now. Then I noticed that Civ II is still supported here with that Game of the Month idea and so I registered here after I finally made it through my first GotM, number 80.

Given the fact that I always played Civ II only against the PC on "Chieftain" and haven't been aware (and maybe still am) of a lot of the game mechanics because I never had any manual for the game (The "We love the _______ - day" actually has an effect! :eek:), leave alone all those small but legal "tricks" that I stumbled across while browsing the forum, I don't think I'm going to pull any good score in those games. I don't know if the GotM 80 is a particulary hard one or if that is the regular level, it was the hardest game I ever played. :X Then I read the Spoiler Thread from Peaster about his 20+ cities while still being Before Christus in the game time... X__X

Anyway, I'm going to send the files now. Can't wait for the next scenario. :)
Yes, it looks indeed as if I have to learn about the tricks and trades of Civ II. In peasters thread I read something about a "size-1-trick", I guess you keep a city at that level and place the workers only over productive fields, to concentrate on production rather than growth? Never came across my mind, I always try to get every citiy big. :X

One thing I wanted to add here: as I said, this is my first participation in the GotM. I hope I did not break any rule. There were so many things listed on the rules site and there in the specific thread that I never even heard about, I fear I might have done something forbidden without even knowing / deliberately doing it. :blush:

Well, I'll send the files now. Let's hope the best. And make the next game a bit easier. ;)

(From the newbie-section):
In peasters thread I read something about a "size-1-trick", I guess you keep a city at that level and place the workers only over productive fields, to concentrate on production rather than growth?

The size 1 trick refers to founding 1 city, then starting to build a settler in it. If you complete the settler (say by rushbuilding) while your only city is still size one, the city doesn't disband but produces the settler and remains at size 1. If you do this with a second city, the city would disband when the settler was completed - or at least you'd get a message asking you whether to complete the settler and disband the settler, or cancel the production (and lose all the shields).

Hope that makes sense.

Aha... but it only works with the first city? Interesting. I first failed to see the benefit in that, but you save yourself the usual population decrease in the city when building a settler, so you basically get +1 population for free. Nice to know, thanks. :)

::EDIT::

One more thing just hit me: can you do this over and over again in your first city? Keep that city at size one and produce settlers over and over again (for founding new cities or improving the terrain around) without getting the -1 population penalty? o_Ô Being able to do this one time ist good. Being able to do it all the time would be incredible. O_O

Yes, you can do it over and over, but there comes a point (quite quickly) when you actually want those settlers to found new cities to expand your production.

Yeah, of course. I thought this might be possible: keep your first city at population 1 for about the whole game (by constantly changing production from units to buildings - 50% loss of shields) und using the "free" settlers to found new cities, improve terrain etc.

Now I remember a situation from my first Multiplayer game with a friend some weeks ago. I took over an AI city which was built very close to one of mine, blocking some city squares. Therefore I wanted to delete it, taking away all workers from the city radius and building a settler. After a while this was taking me too long and I bought the settler. But nothing happened. The city wasn't disbanded and the settler wasn't produced either, the black outlines in the production box were not full, but already "dripping" out! o_Ô
I wondered about that and then decided to keep that city since I saw no way to get rid of it. Was a good decision though, this came out to be my best production city (located in an area full of mountains). :D

Just to clarify: the size one trick only works when you have one city. As soon as you build a second city, your city will disband if you try the size one trick. Note: this does not work at chief level, only on the higher levels. At the chief level, you cannot disband any city.

Top Bottom