1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 80

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Beware, master Genghis. Wide-eyed primitives from nearby huts tell of
    swarms of rampaging mounted visigoths and strangers waving torches burning
    down whole cities. Tis a terrible time to venture forth unprotected. While
    the land is vast and sparsely populated, the forces of evil and chaos are
    well armed and numerous. Keep one hand near thy swordsheath as ye explore
    and build!

The game settings
    Civilization: Genghis of Mongols
    Map: Large, flat map, one large continent with several small outlying islands, six other civs, already settled
    Difficulty: King
    Barbarians: Raging Hordes barbarians, with some additional enhancements
    Restarts: Restarts off, win by conquest

(you have also been gifted a Phalanx for extra defense)

Starting location:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/gotm_games/GOTM80.jpg

Starting Techs:
    ~ Alphabet
    ~ Bronze Working

Games will be due on October 6th, 2007.

Saved Game:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_80.shtml

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game.

2. Superior Man

Superior Man Chieftain

(From the newbie-section):

Yes, it looks indeed as if I have to learn about the tricks and trades of Civ II. In peasters thread I read something about a "size-1-trick", I guess you keep a city at that level and place the workers only over productive fields, to concentrate on production rather than growth? Never came across my mind, I always try to get every citiy big. :X

One thing I wanted to add here: as I said, this is my first participation in the GotM. I hope I did not break any rule. There were so many things listed on the rules site and there in the specific thread that I never even heard about, I fear I might have done something forbidden without even knowing / deliberately doing it. :blush:

Well, I'll send the files now. Let's hope the best. And make the next game a bit easier. ;)

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Chieftain

The size 1 trick refers to founding 1 city, then starting to build a settler in it. If you complete the settler (say by rushbuilding) while your only city is still size one, the city doesn't disband but produces the settler and remains at size 1. If you do this with a second city, the city would disband when the settler was completed - or at least you'd get a message asking you whether to complete the settler and disband the settler, or cancel the production (and lose all the shields).

Hope that makes sense.

4. Superior Man

Superior Man Chieftain

Aha... but it only works with the first city? Interesting. I first failed to see the benefit in that, but you save yourself the usual population decrease in the city when building a settler, so you basically get +1 population for free. Nice to know, thanks. :)

::EDIT::

One more thing just hit me: can you do this over and over again in your first city? Keep that city at size one and produce settlers over and over again (for founding new cities or improving the terrain around) without getting the -1 population penalty? o_Ô Being able to do this one time ist good. Being able to do it all the time would be incredible. O_O

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Chieftain

Yes, you can do it over and over, but there comes a point (quite quickly) when you actually want those settlers to found new cities to expand your production.

6. Superior Man

Superior Man Chieftain

Yeah, of course. I thought this might be possible: keep your first city at population 1 for about the whole game (by constantly changing production from units to buildings - 50% loss of shields) und using the "free" settlers to found new cities, improve terrain etc.

Now I remember a situation from my first Multiplayer game with a friend some weeks ago. I took over an AI city which was built very close to one of mine, blocking some city squares. Therefore I wanted to delete it, taking away all workers from the city radius and building a settler. After a while this was taking me too long and I bought the settler. But nothing happened. The city wasn't disbanded and the settler wasn't produced either, the black outlines in the production box were not full, but already "dripping" out! o_Ô
    I wondered about that and then decided to keep that city since I saw no way to get rid of it. Was a good decision though, this came out to be my best production city (located in an area full of mountains). :D

7. Ace

Ace Chieftain

Just to clarify: the size one trick only works when you have one city. As soon as you build a second city, your city will disband if you try the size one trick. Note: this does not work at chief level, only on the higher levels. At the chief level, you cannot disband any city.

8. Superior Man

Superior Man Chieftain

>_< Dammnit, there had to be something about this. Building tons of settlers and explore around before founding cities with them? :/ Anyway, at least you can't totally abuse this trick, that's a good thing.