Should we have all GOTM in G&K?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
:thanx: for your responses to the previous poll. As 85 of the 87 respondents said they have, or would soon, purchase G&K, the next question is whether we should maintain a Civ5 vanilla game per month or move all games to G&K? So, appreciate your views on this subject.

edt - for clarity, we would still have 2 TSG's per month.
Yes means they would both be in G&K.
No means 1 G&K and 1 vanilla game per month.

If the poll is yes could it be all civs+g&k so we can get the dlc civs too? Or if not at least every other gotm including everything?

If we decide to go to an all G&K format, the next issue will be dlc. The problem with dlc is who has what dlc. I will have to make a poll to find out which dlc is the most prevalent in order to provide the greatest chance for others to play. I can see the possibility of some dlc use down the road a way.

I also have no dlc at the moment, so I cannot make games with them anyway. Initially, it will be straight G&K at best.

For those who are voting to include one vanilla game per month,

I'm curious why you wish to play vanilla games as well as G&K? The rules sets are quite different and if nearly everyone has G&K, the question becomes why change between them?

Would appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

I have been very much looking forward to GOTM G&K.

I have also been advocating for GOTM with DLC's (preferably all DLC's, only at least a rotating amount so we can play them all).

However, I do think we should continue to have occasional Vanilla games (which is why I voted for the minority option). Vanilla and G&K are significantly different with very different strategies. I think it's useful being able to toggle between both. If you only end up playing one, your skill in the other atrophies.

I do understand that normal GOTM has been going on for quite some while, so I'd be okay with taking a hiatus from vanilla (maybe we could alternate between G&K and DLC for a little while). But I do think it's important to still have occasional Vanilla games to keep our skills sharp!

The patch difference between GOTM1 and GOTM39 is probably bigger than the difference between vanilla and G&K. :crazyeye:

G&K is the future of civ. It's a bit sad that we have to pay for an upgrade after 1.5 years of free patches, but it's definitely worth it.

For those who can't afford it, there's 39 past GOTMs for you to practice on. ;)

Any chance the G&K game would get started this month? Or is it doomed to be until August?

Wow! Terribly sorry. I followed that thread, but guess the big shiny poll distracted me from the very first sentence...

I think I originally voted to keep 1 vanilla game going (in fairness to all CiV community users) but, now I finally have G&K running, I am not sure my small brain could cope with running 2 different types of game:- So G&K all the way for me now.
I would make a plea for a lowish difficulty starter game (King or lower) to encourage more participants and allow those of us who have just started their first game to catch up!

I see no point to continue playing vanilla. GxK is just better game experience.

I hope 2K will continue to tune the game with this crew of game designers. They do a good job after such a bad start last team made in vanilla.

I think if there are going to be more than one variation, we might need to recruit more bodies for the GOTM staff.:scan:

Now that I have G&K, I voted only G&K. But in the future, with more staff, I think having vanilla games could provide some interesting variation, and would probably ensure the Mac players are in sync more often than not.:p

To me it's a little bit like asking if we should play chess by the rules of chaturanga... I have no interest in playing vanilla. I have nothing against other people who want to, but I think the priority for GOTM should be to play the game in its most up to date, complete iteration.

I think keep the vanilla going until the number of players drop. I would suggest a transition period of sorts, like:

1st of the month - 1 G&K, 1 vanilla - lasts for the month
15th of the month - 1 G&K - lasts for a month

So 3 GOTMs, 1 vanilla, 2 G&Ks and eventually fade out the vanilla at some point.

well - if there is enough interest & someone with the time and chops- nothing can stop us from running our own vanilla games. I'm in if you do it.

Top Bottom