Gotm18-Celts - Pregame Discussion

Cracker is great and punctual. Im guessing that the game will be available at midnight MT. (thats -7 GMT, I think)
editted to correct time zone

Originally posted by kojimanard
Cracker is great and punctual. Im guessing that the game will be available at midnight RMT. (thats -7 GMT, I think)

Hmm I thought the abbreviation was MST (mountain standard time). That is around when he released GOTM17 though, 15 minutes earlier actually. I think he'll just post it whenever he has a chance to though. Probably about 10 minutes after I fall asleep. :p Guess I'll play tomorrow.

Now where's the game? Here in Norway it has been the 1st of April 6 hours now, and still no gotm to download. :)

Originally posted by kimme
Now where's the game? Here in Norway it has been the 1st of April 6 hours now, and still no gotm to download. :)

Now I hope you didn't wake up early just to play this months game;)

Patience grasshopper.....

Gotm18-Celts (Keltoi) is now available for you to play if you have prepared your game plan.

Before you download the game, I want to encourage some of you to wait a day or two and take full advantage of the pregame discussion as well as some of the Post game information that will be available for Gotm17-Carthage. Playing the game in and of itself should not be a race to commit suicide at the fastest pace possible.

In particular, I want to issue a strong warning to all players to not participate in this pregame discussion thread in any way once you have downloaded and opened the game file. Again, we will be taking the mature route and trying to leave this discussion thread open to support players who have not yet view any portion of the game.

You may find the location to download the save game file for your version of the game to match the installation instructions that you have followed, by looking at the end of your setup instructions in the readme.txt file.

Good luck to all players in your Keltic adventures.

we will be taking the mature route and trying to leave this discussion thread open

mature? :( well taht does it for me, /me is outta here

lock and load!!! good luck everyone

Moderator Action: Nihil8r.

I have warned you about conduct once in the past, the next strike will be your last. I deleted the two spammy, immature and innappropriate messages that you posted below. - cracker

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I know the game is out, but I'm going to wait for the last month result before starting a new one. Have fun everyone and take it easy! :)

Originally posted by Moonsinger
I know the game is out, but I'm going to wait for the last month result before starting a new one. Have fun everyone and take it easy! :)
So you actually want to see how your strategy worked out in order to decide upon full milking or fast milking.

I would start it right now but I'm short of time and even if I downloaded the instructions I didn't get to read them by now. I think I'm going for a fast SS victory this time but with the seasoned SS players I don't expect to get more than a decent result.

OK, right after posting here I'm gonna go over and download the save!

I'll see where I'll settle the capital after moving the worker N to the bonus grassland, then I'll decide....
The placement of the second city will be very important to my game, 'cause I plan on building the Pyramids there immediately! I think they'll be huge this game, as will Sun Tzu's... I'll probably try to build the Great Library as well, 'cause contacts should be easy this game, so maybe I'll be able to ride AI research to the middle ages and make tons of mone.... I don't think I'll build a lot of UU's, I think they're very expensive, but maybe I'll change my mind, 'cause I like their 2 movement.

Filled with dread about the barbarian activity, I'll go download the save now...;)

@nihil8r: I think you may have done something wrong, 'cause I just downloaded the civ3-v1.29 save... So, like cracker said the game is available.....

I can't wait to get home from work and start playing... :(

Originally posted by Yndy
So you actually want to see how your strategy worked out in order to decide upon full milking or fast milking.

You read my mind.;)

Originally posted by cracker
Playing the game in and of itself should not be a race to commit suicide at the fastest pace possible.

Like lemmings to the slaughter.
:lol:

If this game is anything like the practice games I played then it will be brutal. My tentative goal is to not be too far behind in tech or expansion by the time the GS is obsolete.

You read my mind.;)

In order to become a winner one must first learn to think like a winner.

Yndy: It's easy for me to say than do. In a couple day or so, I probably will give in to temptation and will go ahead with the new game.;)

alamo: In this type of map, if you focus on reseach at the early stage, you will fall behide. Send out as many warriors in all direction ASAP. The more civs you are going meet, the cheaper you can buy tech from them. Why kill yourself with your own reseach while you can buy tech a lot cheaper and faster?;)

Why kill yourself with your own reseach while you can buy tech a lot cheaper and faster?
I concurr. The real killer is that the expansionist civs are popping huts, and with 10 AI's there's going to be massive tech trading.

I've been playing with the sci slider and tech trading, so I figured out the cost vs benefit with the pathetically slow early research. I just realized that sometime 10% is not enough to get you the minimal 40 turns rate.

The down side to saving the gold is that some @#*! civ at least 40 squares away will demand tribute.

In additon to a tech lead and extortion, the AI has consistently out-expanded me in my practice games, too.

Agressive civs, tech trading, barbs, massive expansion - just plain brutal. To boot we may be smack dab in the middle of it all.

Originally posted by alamo
The down side to saving the gold is that some @#*! civ at least 40 squares away will demand tribute.

Yes, they do that all the time, especially at the Deity level. However, since this is a Monarch game, I think they won't demand too much. Just pump out a lot of warriors (you need 2 in each city for peace keeping anyway) and they will leave you alone. Btw, since this is a militaritistic civ, it's dirt cheap to produce military unit.

Moony, maybe i'm doing something wrong, but IMHO, this just won't work? RE: "The more civs you are going meet, the cheaper you can buy tech from them. Why kill yourself with your own reseach while you can buy tech a lot cheaper and faster?"

even with a spotless rep, civs simply refuse to sell me critical military techs (e.g. nationalism, replaceable parts, atomic theory) despite offering large amounts of money! I have had NO choice in mulitple games EXCEPT to keep up the tech race, even on Emperor...what is going wrong?

Originally posted by RedwoodTree
Moony, maybe i'm doing something wrong, but IMHO, this just won't work? RE: "The more civs you are going meet, the cheaper you can buy tech from them. Why kill yourself with your own reseach while you can buy tech a lot cheaper and faster?"

even with a spotless rep, civs simply refuse to sell me critical military techs (e.g. nationalism, replaceable parts, atomic theory) despite offering large amounts of money! I have had NO choice in mulitple games EXCEPT to keep up the tech race, even on Emperor...what is going wrong?

Yes, they will. However, they will charge us a lot of gold for those techs. Therefore, my feeling is that you didn't have enough gold. You mentioned that you have tried to offer them "large amounts of money"; how much money are we talking about here? Unless, if it's more than 10000 gold, it's not a lot of money.

//Edit: There is a tech calculator by Grey Fox that will tell you exactly how much gold you need to buy each tech based on the number of civs you encounter, etc. I have never used nor seen Grey Fox Tech calculator, but since Grey Fox is the author and and it's recommended by Cartouche Bee, I trust that it's a good tool. Whether or not it's allowed in the GOTM, you need to check with Cracker.

true, I haven't often had 10K gold or more, so i'm not sure how to generate that much cash :(

it "just seems" that WHATEVER income I have, be it 15g/turn or 150g/turn is what they want for 1 tech, so if I spend it, i'm done for 20 turns, and obviously that doesn't work. I know this may be getting OT now, but it seems to be relelvant to strategy for the GOTM games too

Final though before downloading, has Cracker used a 'real' map of central europe with the start somewhere in the W Austria / Hungary / Rumania (Historically OK) or one of his 'specials'?

Time Will tell - to the game

Top Bottom