Gov Civic Changes

Infantry#14

Emperor
Doesnt the civics system is a bit strange that the player gets equal control over the people population in hereditary rule, representation, police state and universal suffrage? This suggestion deals with this oddity.

Additional effect:

Despotism - 5 :mad: and -50% production in each city when constitution is researched.

Hereditary Rule - There is always a 10% probability each turn that an unhappy city (w/ at least one unhappy pop) may declare independence. The effect is double w/ combination w/vassalage and half w/ pacifism.

Representation - every 20 turns, a Parliament/Congress is elected and each time they will propose a set of laws/requests that the player must fulfill. Each unfulfilled request is counted as a veto, and the Congress may override on the next election. If the player does not fulfill the requests for the 2nd time, then each ignored/unfinished request gives 1 :mad: in each city.
When democracy is researched, ppl may request emancipation civic change. Combine w/ free market, ppl may demand more trading w/ other players, and combine w/ environmentalism, demand healthy buildings and etc.

Police State - There is 5% each turn that any city may go anarchy. 5% additional chance for each :mad: in that city.

Universal Suffrage - The City Governor will take over! You can still influence what to build, but no absolute control (you can emphasize health, research, food, etc and also you can still cash hurry production). Also, the Congress idea from representation still applies.

Many players do not random negative outcomes.
Thus I would abandon things like % chance city goes independent.

Something positive being lost or unhappiness is different.

The idea behind most Firaxis Civics is to not give you a long list of bonuses and penalties, but instead to provide a few benefits with minimal or no drawbacks. That way, I think, is optimal because it gives you a more clear idea of how each civic functions, and allows you to more easily predict the effect it will have on your civilization when you change civics.

I don't think using random percentages in your government civics is a good idea either. Stuff like that can be handled with random events, such as the slave revolts for Slavery, the death of a dynasty for Hereditary Rule, etc.

Top Bottom