Graphics/Sound Problems? - Please post your DX Logs.

David Scanlon said:
I have problems with a black background. I cannot see the graphics of the game. What shall I do?

What graphic card is it? Is it ATI Mobility [IGP 345M]? If you're not seeing the terrain it might be due to your graphics cannot support T&L or your drivers are out of date and need upgrading. If you're using one of those Intel integrated chipsets that you might need to upgrade the hardware as the majority of those system can't support T&L which is needed to display the terrain. I'm guessing it's a notebook so upgrading may not be a option as far as the graphics go.

Ive done everything, i have the newest update and all my drivers but the damn thing still crashed whenever a person comes up

Hi all, basically the problem is that Civ4 (and hence, my entire system)
freezes up once the game gets going a bit. ie 3-4 cities and a handful of units, sometimes earlier.

1. message box pops up from ATI Catalyst control centre warning me about some graphics problems it has tried to resolve
2. shortly after that, the game freezes as above
3. HAVE downloaded the latest updates from ATI
4. have set all graphics options to low in the game
5. have even looked at overheating as a problem and given the case more ventilation

Any ideas??????

If you type "eventvwr.msc" in the [Run ...] line, check for the specific ATI warning events. The events will likely have red or yellow event icons beside them. There's a link there as well as a clipboard function. You can paste the contents of one of the relevant errors here.

That said, see if you can update your VIA chipset, audio, and delete/reinstall your video drivers if appropriate.

Still crashes for me, have the patch, have the updates for my drivers.. As far as I know everything is new and up to date but it still gets real choppy graphics until it eventually crashes. I CAN play a game on a medium sized world but anything larger than that and by the time I get around to modern era the game is crawling and than crashes, causing a reboot. PITA to be honest, I think the game is great, really do, I just wish I could play it. here is the dxdiag.

Long story, but after returning Civ IV in disgust last November, I decided to try again a couple days ago and (re)bought the game. Installation went fine, patch download, went fine. In fact, everything went just fine. I played the tutorial last night without any problems. Tonight I tried going to a "real" game (Earth, 1000 AD, Spain) and am having weird pixilation problems right from the beginning. I can see the map, but I can't see what any of the icons are, the minimap is just a dancing bundle of green and red lines, etc. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

BTW: The Tutorial works just FINE! Why would the regular game not work when the tutorial is not having any problems? This makes no sense. ...fool me twice, I guess...

ever since i put the program in window mode (as opposed to full screen mode), the audio skips. also, the game play is slow. any suggestions. Also, i posted this elsewhere in the main techsupport section, before i knew better, but my game often freezes, especially after i discover a wonder.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    57.7 KB · Views: 66
another problem. since i switched to window mode (vs. full screen mode), the window is too large.

bredmond said:
another problem. since i switched to window mode (vs. full screen mode), the window is too large.
Several things you may not have tried
  • Update your nvidia drivers (Driver Date/Size: 4/24/2003)
  • Set the window size in the CivilizationIV.ini file to your desktop size
  • Enable MemSaver in your CivilizationIV.ini
  • Close all other programs
  • Lean the game's video setting
  • Set audio to "System Configuration" in the Options > Audio > Speakers drop-down list
Good luck.

Hi, I had been so looking forward to Civ IV, but after installing it I'm quite disappointed. The intro video stutters and chugs along. I tried to play the tutorial, and movements don't occur until several seconds later. My hardware exceeds the recommended requirements, and I have downloaded the latest driver for my video card. I've noticed several posts with the same issues, but am unable to find a solution. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 78
waddle said:
Hi, I had been so looking forward to Civ IV, but after installing it I'm quite disappointed. The intro video stutters and chugs along. I tried to play the tutorial, and movements don't occur until several seconds later. My hardware exceeds the recommended requirements, and I have downloaded the latest driver for my video card. I've noticed several posts with the same issues, but am unable to find a solution. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I have one.
I've posted it in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164069
I haven't tried re-enabling videos, though - I disabled those long ago - but I think I'll try again.

waddle said:
Standard things like closing any virus scanners, background apps, etc. Enable MemSaver in the CivilizationIV.ini file.
Your DirectX 9.0c is not the current release of 9.0c.
The most recent Microsoft DirectX releases are here:
Microsoft Download Center
DirectX 9.0c has had files changed since it's introduction. Some of these seem to be very important to Civilization IV. Using the most recent version of DirectX End-User Runtime is often advised.
Don't expect "snappy" but you should see considerable improvement. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Intro movie now jerks and after a short time freezes but not always in the same place. It used to play allright! When later stages of game reached crashes start and then become more and more frequent untill i have to save after every turn just to finish the game!! dxdiag attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    58.3 KB · Views: 117
auldian said:
Your DirectX 9.0c is not the current release of 9.0c.Don't expect "snappy" but you should see considerable improvement. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I have downloaded the most recent version and unfortunately there is no improvement. :-(

Thanks for the suggestion.

Civ 4 on my computer doesn't work
i can't see the faces of the leaders and all of the terrain is black
the maximum memory on my video card is 64 MB
my computer is only using 6MB of the

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
I have exactly the same problem like this.. Jawster had explained all the info of problem..Can anybody help us? Anyone knows this problem? What can you suggest about that?

Jawster said:
1. I can go into and play the game but whenever I build a city I can not read the city name, the city size, or the building information because there are blue boxes instead of text and numbers.

2. I have a NVIDIA Geforce2 Mx Mx 400. I have reinstalled and updated the drivers from NVIDIA website. Still have the same problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jawster

View attachment 102023

View attachment 102024

Arcanus14 reported this problem too, and I haven't seen the solution. Others have also reported it... is there a fix?

Arcanus14 said:
After about 5 to 10 minutes of play my screen will freeze and I will get his jumbled mass of colors. the only way out of this screen freeze is a hard reboot. I have updated all of my drivers and direct x and have tried a multitude of fix its that have not work. Please resolve this problem, it is not fair that we have to pay 50-60 dollars for something that does not work.
Here are my specs:
Athlon 3400
1gb of ram
6800gt
Audigy sound card

Also there is thread by Yadda on here with many people with the same problem.

View attachment 102095

There are other people reporting this too, but I only know how to quote one person at a time. Please help.

Sayyid said:
There are other people reporting this too, but I only know how to quote one person at a time. Please help.
Reducing the graphics clockspeed ("underclocking") as well as updating motherboard chipset drivers were suggested in this thread. The 84.21 Forceware has some Civilization IV fixes listed in the release notes as well; others can speak more knowledgeably about nVIDIA than I.
Post a current DxDiag.txt if you continue to experience problems.
Please post your solution if you come across one and good luck :)

Top Bottom