Graphics team weirdos

Captain Pugwash

Warlord
Whose idea was it to use Swastikas to mark the Civ boundary ? That's pretty weird. I would have settled for a simple dotted line or something. I guess they wanted to give the impression it was kind of undefined but in fact it is clear cut ... unless your Civ owns a bit of that tile, you can't improve it or benefit from resources. Any chance of a change in the next release ?

And what is it with railroads ? I'm a neat and tidy kind of person. I want a neat and tidy railroad connection between 2 cities. No chance. I get all these spurious half connections to roads which make it look a mess. Railroad grapchics was always poor in Civ2 and Civ3. The map ended up a mess. Must be an American thing, they are big airplane fans and don't really love railroads like we Euros do, It shows.

Sorry, just fancied a gripe. I don't really expect anything to change.

Hmm. I would have asked some questions to understand your point better (because I really don't see what you mean with the boundaries), but since you already managed to cramp personal insults (thread title), pointless nationality bashing (Americans not being big about railroads, come on ...), and negativism ("won't change anyways") in a single three-paragraph post, I don't really think a discussion would lead to anything worthwile.

Psyringe, you have to be kidding. Surely you're not that sensitive that you will take offense to someone saying that Americans are Airplane lovers and not big fans of Railroads. The title was more like a question (WIthout a question mark) than a personal attack on the game designers. And instead of curling up into a ball and sulking try and clarify what he means about the borders.

I agree whole-heartedly with Psyringe. Including not knowing what you are talking about with the boundaries.
Angryllama, it's not that the comments are hurtful or anything like that. It's just that they are inappropriate.

hey i only take the train if i have to go downtown i resent that! hehe

The title of this thread is kind of stupid I agree. The bit about the Swastikas...I don't understand whatoever.

This is pretty off topic I guess, but I think us yanks don't use the rails as much because our core cities are farther away from each other. Nobody wants to spend 22 hours on a train to get from NY to Chicago. Personally I've ridden the rails on a few occasions, it's very enjoyable. Flying is the pits.

I dont get the whole swastika bit. I agree that the railroad ( and roads for that matter) look like a huge jumbled mess of rope on the map but saying that poor graphic design is due to the fact that americans dont use railroads a lot is just looney

@nekom: I agree, I'd choose the train over a plane anyday ( distance and time permitting). I'd much rather spend the time watching the varied scenery than sit in a metal tube 30,000 ft in the air.

So what we really want to know:

What/where are these swatiska's the original poster is talking about?

Why do the civ designers make the railroads look like a mess at times?

<squinting at the map>... nope
<standing on my head sqinting at the map>... still no

Sorry... no swastikas in my game... you must have bought the hard-to-find nazi special edition....

I think the game is trying to put an end to the roads and rails being on every tile. It WILL look tacky. I make specific routes myself. This keeps the clutter down for me and is still as efficient.

The only thing I dont like is when you build a road on a corner of a river bend the road has an annoying piece go off towards the bend. This is ugly and unneccasary as bridges are never made diagonally.

why do they have to be swastickas. I was watching some kung-fu movie the other day and like 30 students at a dojo had them on and I've seen them in realy old buildings in eithiopoa dating back about 2000 years.

on a side note the reason we americans dont use the rails as much is because after the locomotives went electric and started useing less petrol we lost interest. You know how we are if it ain't polluting the air it ain't worth having. For real we use rail to transport goods more then people but rail use for commuting is still wide spead, mostly in the northeast corridor between D.C. and beantown plus the "underground", "tubes" or "subway" that are in most large cities.

I think the game is trying to put an end to the roads and rails being on every tile. It WILL look tacky.
Problem is, the Automated Worker AI will do it anyways. :p

If the railroads were all straight lines and similar connections between each tile, it would look confusing. People might think they are tile boundaries.

Has anyone figured out what he meant by "swastika boundaries"?

I thought he might have been confused by looking four farms together (the edges MIGHT form a swastika) but that's really stretching it.

"The symbol of the 4-sided swastika is an archetype for the rotations of time and conscousness - moving clockwise and counterwise - in upward or downward spirals - allowing souls to experience many levels of reality simultaneously."

"The swastika has not always been used as a symbol of Nazism and was in fact borrowed from Eastern cultures. It seems to have first been used by early inhabitants of Eurasia. It is an important symbol in Eastern religions, notably Hinduism and Buddhism, among others, and was also used in Native American faiths before World War II. By the early twentieth century it was regarded worldwide as a symbol of good luck and auspiciousness. Swastikas appeared on the spines of books by the Anglo-Indian writer Rudyard Kipling, and the symbol was used by Robert Baden-Powell's Boy Scout movement."

http://www.crystalinks.com/swastika.html

There is a lot if information out there on the origins of the swastica. It has been said to also represent the original human civilization splitting and going the 4 separate directions, then turning. This is an old Native American tale that loosely resembles the biblical tale of the tower of Babel when read closely.

Back OT - I have never noticed swasticas in my games, and I got stuck because of RR crossings twice this week.

Railroads do look messy next to roads. Many times I'm tempted to cover a road with an unnecessary railroad just to make it look neater.

Top Bottom