Great Battles

Draknith

King
I have not seen anyone put something together about great battles, so I figured I would start one. The objective is simple, tell us about your great battles fought. If you have screen shots, please post them, as they make for a more interesting read. Thanks.

I wish I had some screenshots of this but it started out on Emperor difficulty with 4 nations to my east who were my enemies Rome, Russia, Viking (Russia vassal) and Ottomans. The Romans declare war on me so I march across and fight an epic battle starting with macemen. Then the Russians join in on the fight! I fight off two countries and my own vassal is barely giving me any assistance! Suddenly the ottomans join in on the fight and all hope seems lost 4 different armies are pushing against my cities! thankfully I was the English and the protective trait was saving me!

after countless turns of Defensive tactics I spearhead an assault directly into the Russian army and force them to make peace with me! Things are looking up! The Russians then were declared war on by Germany who thankfully seemed to stop Russia from re-entering the war which seemed inevitable. With my nearly useless vassal and myself still against two massive armies I somehow convinced Korea to my west to join in on the fight! (cost me an arm and a leg but was worth it!) When the war was finally over I had conquered the Ottomans/Russians/Vikings/Romans and I was in the Modern age!

sounds like an intense Total War! How exactly did you counter attack the German forces, and push them out of the war? What sort of tactics did the AI use on you, if any?

How did the war weariness not cripple you if you were locked in wars for that long?

I have an idea on battles. I would like to have a Battle History available with all the great battles in it.
They could be called in name of nearby city. And statistics could be present on how many and what kind of troops were present in the battle, how many were lost, which great general emerged and how many turns battle lasted.
I know it would be hard for coding to define battle (i.e. when it starts and when it ends).

This probably happened like 6 months ago, but this one game I started next to Monty, who is a bit nutty, as everyone knows. However, there was only a small stretch of land with two oceans on either side connecting our civs. Monty had already declared war on me once that game, but finally I got the bright idea to put a fort on the small stretch of land and fill it up with a few units in the event of any future wars. Sure enough, he declared war a couple more times during that game and sent massive stacks at me, but he could never get around my fort... he'd just end up smashing into it with all his units and getting them all killed, and I only had to replenish the units in the fort one time. After the last time that he wasted all of his units trying to take my fort, I took the rest of my military and steamrolled him. He had almost no military left... it was one of the easiest Monty slaughters I've ever had.

How did the war weariness not cripple you if you were locked in wars for that long?

Culture sliders at like 40%, it hurt my teching a ton! and I was very far behind at the end of the war however I had won a domination victory.

I don't have any screenshots, but the story goes like this.

Montezuma had been conquering civs all over the continent, and had grown exceptionally powerful. He chose me as the next target. When the attack came, Monty ignored my outer cities and went for the isthmus separating my core cities from border ones, and the city guarding the isthmus, Hippo.
Altough he was behind me in tech, his stack was large and experienced. He had brought lots of siege weapons, and collateral damge could easily disable my hapless stack. After a lot of testing I figured out the best strategy: I hurried couple of my own siege weapons. When the stack suffered collateral damage, it automatically started to heal the damage. This bought me some time to snatch a couple of individual units a turn and build and research Barrage II tanks, which finally brought down the stack.:dance:

Here's one from my last game...

The map was more or less a terra map with my civ situated on the islands near what would be indonesia (sp) on Earth. The major war took place in what would be Europe. I set up the game with the Germans in northern Europe and Rome in southern Europe on a little 'boot' in the mediteranean. There had been roughly three hundred years of conflict (after nearly an entire game where all of Europe and myself had been allied along with the egyptians).

The first set of engagements pitted the massive medeval Germans against the highly trained smaller Roman army during the years of 1650-1700. During this first conflict I sided with the Romans to help diminish the quite powerful Germans. It allowed me to set-up the Byzantines in the area that would be France.

Between 1700-1850 there were minor border skirmishes between the two that were put to rest by me interjecting and paying someone off. However, around 1850 I had enough with the arrogant Ceasar. It was odd but you could actually see in the game Ceasar changing the way he played because he was the dominant power in Europe. He would even try bullying me around. It was about 1870 when my forces were dispatched and was the largest war this game had seen to date. I sent a landing force to the iberian peninsula with 3 divs of rifleman (9 units), 3 divs of cannon, and 2 divs of cavalry. To capture the smaller islands and eventually the Roman boot, I sent in 2 divs of rifleman, 2 divs of cannon. Finaly I sent 3 divs of rifleman, cannon, and cavalry from my city located in the 'Holy Land' to the Roman Empires Eastern borders. My navy comprised of about 24 ships between 3 fleets with 'ship-of-the-lines' and frigates.

The initial landing went great as I conquered western iberia, followed by eastern iberia, and then linked up with the Byzantines in france to set about moving into the Roman homeland (something which had never happpened before in the game). The iberian divs and the Roman boot divs pushed their way towards Rome effectively sandwiching the entire empire. The 'boot' divs were held up in middle italy and the iberian divs were held at Cumea (on purpose to help allivate the stress in the other campaigns). The eastern army was charged with holding the lines in the east to avoid unwanted attacks into the middle east by the Romans, or other nations attempting to come into Rome. By about 1914 the war was effectivly over, and Europe was in shambles.

I was able to quickly bring Europe out of depression by instituting worker corps in the captured lands and giving jurisdiction to the Byzantines over western and central Europe. One more large scale war would occur in Europe constituting the First World War, but it was 50 years (100 turns) away. The war changed the entire game, forced old large empires into small nations, and developed a league of nations under the alliance of Huberia (me), Byzantium, Rome, Eygpt, and America (new world landmass).

Top Bottom