Great War Poll for when to get an alliance signed.

When should we get our alliance signed?

• Now! Don't give the Dominos a chance to seduce Cleo.

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Next turn is soon enough. Get our house in order before we knock on someone else's door.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ally? We don't need no stinking ally!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaitan

der Besucher
This is a critical turn juncture. If we do not get Egypt allied with us before completing the current turn there is a chance that they will be allied against us before we can even talk to them.

Originally posted by Shaitan
This is a critical turn juncture. If we do not get Egypt allied with us before completing the current turn there is a chance that they will be allied against us before we can even talk to them.

I fully agree, it should be our next order of business prior to any other move being made.

Clearly Egypt will join the cascading AI relationships, and we will be crippled by the necessity to rush spearmen vice preparing to conquer the evil American's.

Bill
Trade Leader

What about the other option of first attempting to make Egypt our trading partner? Where would that be addressed? Can we not try per-turn deals on tech & workers? This way, we guarantee a return on investment (i.e. the tech), rather than Egypt's help in the war (help that is not guaranteed). After dealing, I think any civ would then be less likely to join the larger conspiracy.

In the case that we can & do per-turn deals, if Egypt declares war on us, we are no longer committed to paying the sum.

Originally posted by chiefpaco
What about the other option of first attempting to make Egypt our trading partner?
I didn't poll for this because it had only been suggested by one person whereas the alliance had been suggested by many. If you think there is enough popular support for the trade idea instead of an alliance I'd be happy to post a poll.

Now that we have an embassy with Egypt and know how much the alliance against Greece would cost another poll might be in order.

Can the trade dept. fill us in on what trades are possible? It would be nice to snag a couple more maps if they're cheap.

We must keep in mind the someone limited value of these polls. Voter turn-out has been quite low compared to registered citizens and the form of the polls themselves may skew the results.

For example three polls were posted simultaneously (I list them from memory):

How much should we pay for alliance?
Who should we sic Egypt on?
When should we ally with Egypt?

In one poll I voted that we don't need a stinkin' ally but in the others I passed that choice to voice an opinion just in case we do go for the alliance. Voting strategies - poly sci part of me coming out again. Sorry.

Anyway, bundling the 3 polls together gives the impression that we are going for the alliance. I think it was even said that the we don't need no stinkin' allies line was intended to be humorous.

I take the polls with a grain of salt. Perhaps when the two new public ministers are in place they may offer a structure to the polls. (Note: I'm not suggesting that us citizens can't post polls!)

Top Bottom