Great War Poll for who to sic Egypt on

Who should we ally AGAINST?

• Ally against Rome.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Ally against Greece.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Ally against America.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Ally against someone else (explain below).

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Ally? We don't need no stinking allies!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaitan

der Besucher
There's unanimous support for an alliance with Egypt against somebody. The targets are Greece and Rome. Details of the pros and cons can be found in the Great War thread. In brief:

Greece
Number 3 power. It would be good to not have them knocking on the door. Could be pretty expensive to get an alliance against them.

Rome
A few turns ago they were fairly wussy (compared to us). Legions - don't want to play with them right now. It should be relatively cheap to get an alliance against them.

With both there is a fair chance that Egypt will bring in the other as an ally. Chance is higher that Egypt can get Greece to ally against Rome that vice versa.

My strategy would be to ally Egypt against America. Reasons more fully discussed in the military thread, but basically I view America as the only actual threat to our nation as the terrain precludes the other powers from threatening us any time soon.

Egypt would draw off forces from Lincoln's army, and while they might well take a few cities, it is our best strategic move.

Further, I would try to make peace with the Babs as soon as possible, this would tend to undermine all of the alliances against us.

Bill
Trade Leader

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
My strategy would be to ally Egypt against America. Reasons more fully discussed in the military thread, but basically I view America as the only actual threat to our nation as the terrain precludes the other powers from threatening us any time soon.

Egypt would draw off forces from Lincoln's army, and while they might well take a few cities, it is our best strategic move.

Further, I would try to make peace with the Babs as soon as possible, this would tend to undermine all of the alliances against us.

Bill
Trade Leader
Good fill-in, Bill. I'll ask the mods to add America to the poll.

Not quite unanimous support. I think we're in danger of a very rude shock next chat session.

I like the thought of Egypt as ally, very much. And with Greece adjacent to them, AND more powerful than Rome or the others, the choice of who against comes down to Greece or America, and I don't anyone but us capturing American towns.

The rude shock?

Sticker price.

I just don't see them buying in for less than 400 or 500 gold, totally beyond the value provided or our treasury.
If this is true, we just CANNOT blow the treasury and end up with zero immortals just to reduce the number of unharrassed civs from 6 to 5. The embassy price is cheap enough to take a look at what they want, but... don't get your hopes up 8-\

General Charis

Who are these people who don't think we need any allies? Did Babylon send more spies to cause the downfall of Phoenatica?:confused:

@ Shaitan - but it was a good choice. both in the humor dept. and in the logical dept.

@Eyrei - as i commented on in the chat session, this babylonian war may be all talk. and the babs allies may be slackers. i've seen tribes located far away declare war and never see their troops. i've seen my allies never lift a finger to help. so maybe some people feel that we don't need no stinkin' allies.

My vote is definately for an Egypt vs. Greece alliance.

Cyc: Yeah, I have seen the same thing. In fact, the Babs are already willing to sign a peace treaty for a little over half our gold and our map. I really want to occupy Egypt and Greece, as they actually pose a threat because of their proximity. Egypt is quite large too, they have like 12 cities.

you're right eyrei. in fact, tho, they have 10 cities and they are expanding rapidly. i think their military is suffering because of this and may not be worth a pluck as an ally. all of these things should be taken into consideration before any of our gold bank is spent on an alliance

I just noticed something strange. Only the babylonians are considered by our military advisor to be stronger than we are. I think if we pitted the Egyptians and Greeks agaisnt each other, since they have similarly sized militaries, they would probably just cancel each other out. This would also halt both of their expansions. The babs will be ready for peace long before we engage them, and the Aztecs are probably in the same boat. The Romans might get some troops to us, but they probably don't have that many. Our main problem really is the Americans, but we want their land for ourselves.

We might try signing a peace treaty with the Babs, and trying to correct the cascade effect. Does anyone know what order it went in? We could, possibly, get out of all the other wars, ruin most civs reputations, and end up fighting just america, which we were planning to do in the first place. The only problem is keeping the Egyptians out of it long enough to get the other civs to talk to us. Maybe we should give them a 2gpt gift or something.

Anyway, just a thought from a different angle than we have been approaching it.

The Domino alliance added a new member each turn so there is a definate order. It can be seen in the turn chat but from memory it was:

Babylon
Iroquois
Aztecs
America
Greece
Rome

Falcon02 has established the embassy with Egypt and the alliance against Greece is very expensive just as General Charis feared.

yep, donsig, you are correct, I posted the order of war in the presidental thread right after the game ended last night, so its 100% accurate

1)Babylon
2)Iroquois
3)Aztecs
4)Americans
5)Greeks
6)Romans

Top Bottom