Great War Poll - What should our basic plan be?

Great War Poll for what our basic plan should be

• Ally with Egypt

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Small deal with Egypt, hoping that will keep them off our back

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Small deal with Egypt plus peace with Babylon

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Peace with Babylon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaitan

der Besucher
An alliance with Egypt will prevent them from being brought in against us and may help to keep some of our foes off our backs. It will also cost an arm and two legs and cripple our offensive power for the near future.

A trade deal or small tribute with Egypt may keep them off our backs.

Making peace with Babylon may reverse the Domino alliances. Personally I doubt this but it will definitely mar Babylon's reputation and they are big and agressive. It's a no-brainer that we'd like them to be unpopular. This option will also hit the treasury hard to the point that our offensive power will be delayed.

We don't have enough cash to make peace and ally with Egypt so it's one or the other for those. This makes the choices:

Ally with Egypt
Small deal with Egypt
Small deal with Egypt plus peace with Babylon
Peace with Babylon
Other

If you vote "Other", please explain what your idea is.

If we don't give in to tribute during peacetime, why would we give into warmongers demanding tribute? If we would not give a map, why would we give almost 400 gold??

While I rather like the idea of seeing Bablyon's reputation marred, the Military Department univerisally rejects the principle of paying tribute, even one gold, for a peace treaty.

Clearly Babylon is bored with the whole idea of war, they're not even furious with us, only "annoyed". They want annoyed??? I'm having t-shirts made for a set of four immortals to wear as they steamroll Babylon: "You", "have", "chosen", and "unwisely".

:hammer:

The army will of course follow the will of the people and the directives of the president and foreign affairs department, but peace with Babylon would be a very poor choice for us now, imho.

General Charis

I voted other because I think our basic Great War plan should be to retrain as many warriors as we can as fast as we can and then go kick some serious butt.

Everyone is worried about Egypt. If we can handle six we can handle seven. Egypt doesn't even have horses and so can't make their UU.

If we must spend some money on Egypt let's offer Cleo 1 g/t for her map - and buy any other cheap maps we can get.

I also agree with General Charis - let's not pay Hamurabi and his phantom army any tribute. Peace for peace or Babylon can pay us - they started this war not us.

If Babylon sees things this way then make peace by all means. in the mean time lets get some American cities!

Voted Other :

Peace with babylonian but only if they pay us.

Egypt, peace if they accept it for free, but we won'T pay for that, since anyway they will soon want to pay for peace with us!!!!

:jump:

Hmmm. I understand the position many will take about paying Babylon for peace, as the pride of Phoenatica is at stake. However, I believe we will cause more lasting damage to Babylon by signing a peace treaty now, than we will ever cause in this war. We will simply NEVER get troops into Babylon before this war ends. If we sign a peace treaty now, we ruin their reputation, and open up the possiblity of peace treaties with the other civs allied against us. It would be quite possible to narrow down our enemies to just America without expending our military power to the south. It seems a one front war would be preferable to the military.:confused: This would take 10 turns or so, and would cost a decent amount of money. However, we would come out ahead as far as the rest of the world is concerned, and American cities will be ours either way. As far as not worrying about Egypt getting involved, I think that would be an error.

Doesn't Hamurabi want a good chunk of change for peace? 120 gold or so? That's enough for 3 immortals. If Hamurabi's annoyed and not furious and willing to offer peace now he's just a big blowhard. We don't have to send an army to Babylon to make peace. Let's spend that gold making a fighting for and Hamurabi will see the light without our forces having to come in contact.

Top Bottom