GreatPersonMod BTS

Chugginator said:
Looks cool Amra! I had done a few using the old template, and a new modern template I made (sorta looks like an official government document) but I like your one better.
Thanks, glad you like it. :D I actually found the art in the Firaxis fpk files and just modified it to add the GP type nameplate at the bottom.

Chugginator said:
Have you thought of the idea that the template could be themed for each civ? Like Asian-looking for the Asian great people, and tribal looking for the Zulus. That could be a lot of work with all of your civs though. But it would certainly make it look more flavoursome.
I have thought about a different theme for a Pirate Captain unit that replaces the Great General for the Pirate civ I have in my modpack. Beyond that, though, I think themed templates would add a lot of variety but may be a little better suited to the Civ Specific Great person mod that Gaius has done. That's a very good mod but I have way too many civs in my modpack to properly add it in... and come up with unique names for each civ... and do the art for 3000 or more Great People... :faint: Yikes! That gives me a headache thinking about it.

[EDIT] After thinking about it, I think it would be feasible (and more flavorful) to use a different looking template for each GP Type such as I planned for the Pirate Captain GP. For example, the one I previewed above could be used for the Great Prophet signifying that their words are written in stone or even for the Great Engineer in reference to buildings of stone. Something with weapons & a shield in the background could be used for the Great General, something artistic or of a musical nature (or a combination of both) for the Great Artist, etc, etc... I think you get the idea.

I was originally going to use the same template for each but with a different Title Plate at the bottom. However, this may add some more variety. I'll have to see what I can come up with for graphics. In the meantime, what do you think?

Thanks, glad you like it. :D I actually found the art in the Firaxis fpk files and just modified it to add the GP type nameplate at the bottom.

Cool. :p They've got some good stuff hidden in there.

I have thought about a different theme for a Pirate Captain unit that replaces the Great General for the Pirate civ I have in my modpack. Beyond that, though, I think themed templates would add a lot of variety but may be a little better suited to the Civ Specific Great person mod that Gaius has done. That's a very good mod but I have way too many civs in my modpack to properly add it in... and come up with unique names for each civ... and do the art for 3000 or more Great People... :faint: Yikes! That gives me a headache thinking about it.

Gaius is working on something else at the moment. I offered to help out with adding the great people display mod to his Civ Specific Great People mod, and creating some new art for it - but I think there's a small bug with his mod that he's yet to fix. :(

[EDIT] After thinking about it, I think it would be feasible (and more flavorful) to use a different looking template for each GP Type such as I planned for the Pirate Captain GP. For example, the one I previewed above could be used for the Great Prophet signifying that their words are written in stone or even for the Great Engineer in reference to buildings of stone. Something with weapons & a shield in the background could be used for the Great General, something artistic or of a musical nature (or a combination of both) for the Great Artist, etc, etc... I think you get the idea.

I was originally going to use the same template for each but with a different Title Plate at the bottom. However, this may add some more variety. I'll have to see what I can come up with for graphics. In the meantime, what do you think?

I did a similar thing back in the day.

The black is transparent in-game. I made these early last year, so the quality isn't the greatest. But if you look closely, Einstein has the US seal. Also, you will probably be in the modern era if you run out of great engineer names, so I used the modern template for the generic great engineer. Once I get all the templates sorted out I think I can handle finishing the art for the 3000 or so great people. ;)

I'm not sure if they will be any use to you though, cos your mod has its own style and it may look funny if it isn't civ specific in your mod. Maybe I could help you out with the great person type display art?

In any case, I'm not starting the other art 'till I have a stable mod to work with, so I'll have to wait on Gaius for that.

Can anyone please tell how you can merge this mod into an existing mod?

I tried it but I got no popups for the great persons and the wondermovies didn't play anymore. :(

IIRC this is what I did:

1. copy the art
2. copy a xml-file in xml/text (the 'Roamty'-file)
3. copy greatperson-map to python
4. changed the CVCustomeventmanager.py and some Screen.py

I think I missed something. :confused:

@Ripple01
A different template for each era would probably be good for the Civ Specific mod which I understand you have in your modpack but that's a little more work than I can take on right now.

@Chugginator
Those templates are really good, I love the pen. :goodjob: Thanks for the offer of help but I've started the different GP templates already and think I should finish by the weekend then I will start in on updating all the artwork (about 400 images & quotes). Below is what I did tonight.

I decided to keep the same stone tablet look and font as in my previous preview but as you can see I'm adding extra items to each. I'm particularly fond of the Great General template, I think it turned out very nice.

@Arian
Your best bet is to try using Winmerge (Google it for link) to compare files of the same name and then merge any differences into your mod.

@Chugginator
Those templates are really good, I love the pen. :goodjob: Thanks for the offer of help but I've started the different GP templates already and think I should finish by the weekend then I will start in on updating all the artwork (about 360 images & quotes). Below is what I did tonight.

I decided to keep the same stone tablet look and font as in my previous preview but as you can see I'm adding extra items to each. I'm particularly fond of the Great General template, I think it turned out very nice.

The Great General template is awesome! (especially for Greece ;)) and I like the ivy leaves and the masks for the Great Artist. I can see that I'm gunna have some fun when I get around to making a template for each culture. :D Not sure if I'm going to go for each great person as well, though.

Thanks guys. :D I'm going to do some more tonight and am looking forward to doing the Great Spy template as well as the Pirate Captain template for my modpack. I think I can have some fun with both of those. :mischief:

Here's the last of the new templates. I'll start working on converting the Great People over this weekend. Hopefully, it should go pretty quick since I don't have to look up any quotes. That part always takes the longest.

Very nice, Amra but I think the background of the Great Prophet looks a bit "Christian" while the background of the Great Scientist with the crescent moon looks like something "Islamic".

No offense ofcourse ;)

Very nice, Amra but I think the background of the Great Prophet looks a bit "Christian" while the background of the Great Scientist with the crescent moon looks like something "Islamic".

No offense ofcourse ;)
No offense taken. I hadn't thought of the Scientist template looking Islamic but now that you mention it, I see it. Maybe if I replace the Crescent moon with a sun it would help. I was trying for an Astronomy look.

As far as the prophet template goes, I actually had a tough time coming up with ideas for that one. It's difficult to come up with an image for religion, etc without it referring to one particular religion more than another.

One idea I had was to place symbols for all 7 of the Firaxis religions (my modpack adds 5 more) around the edges of the template. I'll see how that looks.

As far as the prophet template goes, I actually had a tough time coming up with ideas for that one. It's difficult to come up with an image for religion, etc without it referring to one particular religion more than another.

One idea I had was to place symbols for all 7 of the Firaxis religions (my modpack adds 5 more) around the edges of the template. I'll see how that looks.

Maybe some kind of "universal religion" symbol could do the trick, but finding such a symbol is probably the trickiest trick :D

This thing I found on the internet:

Maybe some kind of "universal religion" symbol could do the trick, but finding such a symbol is probably the trickiest trick :D

This thing I found on the internet:

That looks cool. I'll see what I can do with it, thanks. :goodjob:

Arian, Thanks again for the graphic. I used it and came up with a simpler & more generic Great Prophet template. Now to start converting images & quotes. :whipped:

Looks good. Always glad to help! :goodjob:

Suggestions for scientist (possible to make a different template for the era in which they lived):

Microscope (for the industrial/renaissance era):

A molecule (for future):

Formula or trigonometric picture (i.e Pythagoras for ancinet/classic)

A beaker (for modern):

Or this Beaker:

Anyway, it must be a hell of job converting all those Great People to their new templates :)

^Love your skins , Amra .

what if you added a new great person . Can some make one for great doctors and statesman of who was that again..
Thanks. I have tweaked the Prophet, Scientist & Engineer templates a little bit since I previewed them last to where I am now completely happy with them.

I'm about a third of the way thru converting them, including the 135 or so new GPs. It's going a little slower than anticipated because I am taking the time to fix some spelling errors as well as to find better pictures for some of the Great People.

I've also made a blank template that can easily be made into the new great people types that have been created such as the Great Doctor mod.

After I'm done converting the normal GP Types and I've posted my Amra Advanced mod then I will probably come back to this and create new art for the new GP Types. This stuff is usually more fun than merging XML or Python code :crazyeye: so I don't mind.

Top Bottom