Greece First Look (Pericles) Video

I'm not saying that Greece isn't strategically rich (I think it will be quite interesting to play actually), just that all its unique abilities are extremely simple mechanically. Not a bad thing. If a Civ design can achieve simplicity and rich strategic choices at the same time, that's good design.

It also makes it much more likely that the AI will be able handle it and be competent as Greece. :)

I really can't see why so many people are calling this civ 'bland' when it has the most powerful and versatile bonus so far with the extra wildcard slot. In addition the city state bonus introduces all sorts of interesting possibilities involving competition for their allegiance with other civs. Greece is anything but bland.

What worries me now is the distribution of city states in the map to fully utilize Greece's ability, plus the danger of having Greece sitting next to Germany. This could be very challenging but forget it, challenge accepted! I'm playing Greece first!

I think Purple would be a better fit for the Theater District. Maybe they felt it wasn't distinctive enough, but I think it would be and also would look better for "culture". Purple is royalty, which works with royal patronage of arts.

It seems that all Civs have unique city graphics, I think. Don't remember why I had that impression, though.

Reddit user nasulon created the following Imgur gallery to compare Civ architectures:
http://imgur.com/gallery/Fj0yr

He comments:

nasulon said:
Some things I'd like to highlight:

· At least in the case of America and Brazil, the palace seems to start as a wooden building in the Ancient Era, so it seems like it evolves up to the point it reaches its historically relevant one (eg: the White House Capitol)

· Both Scythia and India have the same Palace, which looks Middle-Eastern

· All European civs (except France) have the same palace art. Searching google it looks like it's inspired by this romanian palace (which is actually a bank). I'm probably being eurocentric here, but I'm european so I know more about inaccuracies here than for other civs, and I'd personally prefer if each civ had its own historical palace (eg, Reichstag, Buckingham Palace...). I mean, Spain's ULA is called El Escorial, which was the king's palace, and it's not even in the game?

· France's palace being unique might have more to do with the Evolving Architecture theory than anything else. IMO it's a shame they don't include historical buildings like Versailles or the Reichstag but do put in the White House Capitol.

·I'm not fully convinced on Brazil having the Aztec pyramid as its palace, too. It might have to do with the architecture evolving, but the surrounding buildings look at least modern era

Based on these images, my guess is that the Greeks and Romans will have similar building architecture, but with different Capitol buildings.

Some numbers to throw into the pot.

Based on the screenshot, with 2 city states under Greece's thumb, the player was getting a 10% bonus to Culture. It's possible that the bonus is 5% bonus culture for each city state the player is suzerain of. It is of course possible it is added up some other way, but 5% per city state seems more likely.

I assume there is probably a cap on it of some sort to keep it from being completely unreasonable. My guess is around 20-30%. But it could be anything. I do assume it is more than just 10%.

Paired with Greece's district (extra culture) and extra policy card (which allows extra Diplomacy policies necessary to impress city states) this is a very synergistic civ. At a minimum, Greece can at least pursue Diplomacy without sacrificing much, again because of the extra card.

Whatever you might think about playing the civ, it presents a clear threat when it is on the map. This is a civ that will fight to snatch city states from you and has the tools to do it. If they go for Great People insted, they have the tools for that as well.

The early UU is a fantastic counter against the most dangerous early game threat that we know about, Scythia. At least compared to everyone else.

Some numbers to throw into the pot.

Based on the screenshot, with 2 city states under Greece's thumb, the player was getting a 10% bonus to Culture. It's possible that the bonus is 5% bonus culture for each city state the player is suzerain of. It is of course possible it is added up some other way, but 5% per city state seems more likely.

I assume there is probably a cap on it of some sort to keep it from being completely unreasonable. My guess is around 20-30%. But it could be anything. I do assume it is more than just 10%.

Without the ability to buy city-states it should be impossible to control too many city-states. We don't know how well it works (in the last Spain video Ed was a suzerain for surprisingly many city-states considering the difficulty level), but hope it will be balanced. So cap is likely not needed.

Gorgo leading Greece makes sense because the Hoplite is basically Spartan, and the Acropolis is basically Athenian. The civ UA doesn't really fit Sparta, though. Quite strange. Which is why the Greek UA should have been city-state focused. Both Athens and Sparta were active with city-states.

Why doesn't the UA fit Sparta? The Greeks were known for experimenting with various forms of government and Sparta is no exception (in fact the ideal government of the Plato's Republic was probably closer to the government of Sparta than of Athens, as Plato loathed the Athenian democracy for its judicial murder of his teacher, Socrates). And in game terms, that extra Wild Card slot can be filled with a military card for an uber-militaristic Sparta.

Great merchants are kind of like buying CS.

Are you speaking about Civ5 or Civ6? In Civ5 - yes. In Civ6 there are a couple of GM giving additional envoys, but it's completely different thing.

I have attached a photo showing the bust of Pericles that resides at the british museum. So hats off to the art team for their faithful representation of the Athenian general!

Attachments

• images (12).jpg
    images (12).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 162
By the way, does it feel to anyone else that Greece is one of the simplest Civs yet? There's nothing complicated in any of the uniques. Mostly just simple flat bonuses. Compare the much more exotic bonuses of a Spain or a Scythia.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Simplicity can be elegant. Just an observation.

Agreed. A lot of posters have been describing Greece/Pericles as a bit lacklustre, IMHO this is just because the greek mechanics are relatively straight-forward in comparison to some of the more innovative civs we've seen in recent videos, but that doesn't mean they will be dull to play.

When I estimate the uniques, I consider 2 parameters:

1. Whether it's active (requiring additional gameplay actions) or passive. This affects the amount of gameplay variety you have within games of this civilization.
2. Whether it alters existing gameplay or not. This affects the amount of variety between civilizations.

For example, Kongo bonuses look very unique, but they are mostly passive (since you could do little to do to spread foreign religions as Kongo - opposed to India). Having unique district gives it some unique planning, though.

Greece looks great - it has active ability of additional Wildcard slot, it has special planning with unique district and it even could have a bit of unique tactics to utilize Hoplite bonus.

Greece looks great but i dont know if anyone else spotted the wonder at the holy district.(statue of zeus)? soz.jpg

It doesn't look like a statue. It looks like a Great Prophet, thrown at Holy Site to be sacrificed in the name of founding new religion.

It doesn't look like a statue. It looks like a Great Prophet, thrown at Holy Site to be sacrificed in the name of founding new religion.

'Sacrificed' has got a funny tone to it though, mainly thinking of Mohamed, who was anything but sacrificed ;)

What happened to Gorgo? :(

I think Purple would be a better fit for the Theater District. Maybe they felt it wasn't distinctive enough, but I think it would be and also would look better for "culture". Purple is royalty, which works with royal patronage of arts.

As long as its distinctive enough for those of us who have colour blindness issues given simple visuals is the aim!
Some blues and purples do my head in lol.

Maybe there should be several options of colour schemes that can be selected...

'Sacrificed' has got a funny tone to it though, mainly thinking of Mohamed, who was anything but sacrificed ;)

What happened to Gorgo? :(

She's most likely a dlc leader for Greece.

Top Bottom