[GUIDE] Map scripts

As long as it has the "lakes flow into river" feature, I'll play the script.
Yup, I basically want Continents with a few other smaller islands that have room for a few cities or CS (none of this 1 or 2 tile island spam), and consistently grouped (somewhat realistic) terrain; balanced mountain chains, lake/river flow, decently sized patches of forest/jungle that's not sporadic, standard resource distribution, etc..

It's nothing crazy really, but for some reason this is still an elusive task after all these years, hah!

@Bhawb how did your HB Pangea game go? Have you made any tweaks to the script?

I kinda stopped working on it for now because it seemed like city state placement was pretty weird also and I don’t know how to fix that either.

We’re theybstrangely clumped in your game?

@Bhawb how did your HB Pangea game go? Have you made any tweaks to the script?

I kinda stopped working on it for now because it seemed like city state placement was pretty weird also and I don’t know how to fix that either.

We’re theybstrangely clumped in your game?

I'm playing a HB Pangea as Mongolia atm, it has been pretty good. I updated the Jungle/Forest amounts to vanilla and the size of the map is 74x46 to get the appropriate amount of land for an 8 civ game, and I think strategic balance + coal. Everything else was either default or random, I can't remember which.

Civ and CS placement was good, it felt like a fairly balanced spread. I don't think any of the CSs were clumped, not on my side of the continent at least. The islands are also really well done, you really have to fight over them for most civs if you want an appropriate amount of later game strategic resources. It also provides actual opportunity to use non-Settler settling units, I finally saw a Pioneer get used. For some reason Polynesia didn't rush those islands and ended up with very few cities. They honestly would have been almost unbeatable if they had just settled all the islands, all of which are perfectly size/shaped for Moai. But otherwise islands are a huge plus.

Downsides are all the things you've mentioned, but since I'm playing a terrain/feature agnostic civ none of that really matters. I definitely wouldn't want to play most civs that rely on certain types of terrain, although Brazil was doing fine despite not having a proper jungle.

I'd really just like a version of Continents that had good terrain grouping and nice islands, with decent CS placement. Also on the point of monopolies, does NQ even have that as a mechanic?

I'd really just like a version of Continents that had good terrain grouping and nice islands, with decent CS placement. Also on the point of monopolies, does NQ even have that as a mechanic?

I really think continents++ is what you're describing. At least the one I posted a few comments previous does exactly what you're asking, maybe it's somehow different from other versions of continents++ or something. I'd recommend giving it a try. The only issue I ever have with it is occasionally being put on a mini continent by myself which takes all of 15 or so turns to figure out at which point I start a new game.

I'll give it a try later. I just use IGE to peep at my start on the map anyway.

Started a handful of games with Continents++, and it looks pretty good. I'd say for now that is the best map to me, even though the land shapes can get very weird looking, with the first map looking like 3 starfish.

Last edited:
What is this Continents++ you talk of? Do you mean Continents+ modified to keep city-states on the mainlands, too?

What is this Continents++ you talk of? Do you mean Continents+ modified to keep city-states on the mainlands, too?
Is it on an earlier page from this thread, and if not, can an somebody post this script again? I used to use it, but stopped because of the early 'round the world' cheese that you could accomplish (paired with prior unbalanced CS quests). If that's adjusted, I'd gladly use it again, seeing as I play 95% of my games on Continents anyways.

Edit: I found it on my PC, so nevermind. Here it is (and it is in fact labeled as Con++, but it's just the modified version you spoke of) in case anyone else wants it...

What exactly needs to be edited in order to not allow full access around the globe with triremes?

Attachments

• ConPlusPlus.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Is it on an earlier page from this thread, and if not, can an somebody post this script again? I used to use it, but stopped because of the early 'round the world' cheese that you could accomplish (paired with prior unbalanced CS quests). If that's adjusted, I'd gladly use it again, seeing as I play 95% of my games on Continents anyways.

Edit: I found it on my PC, so nevermind. Here it is (and it is in fact labeled as Con++, but it's just the modified version you spoke of) in case anyone else wants it...

What exactly needs to be edited in order to not allow full access around the globe with triremes?

Noob question incomming... download and unzip it where to use it with vox populi mod?
I downloaded and installed Hellblazer,s map script following the instructions but it's not available in setup in base game and in vp mod too.

Noob question incomming... download and unzip it where to use it with vox populi mod?
I downloaded and installed Hellblazer,s map script following the instructions but it's not available in setup in base game and in vp mod too.
Should be: Documents / My Games / Sid Meiers Civ 5/ MODS / (1)Community Patch / Map Scripts

Just throw the .lua file into that Map Scripts folder and should be good to go.

Here is the version I have again if for some reason it's somehow different from the other one. I'm on mobile so I don't have an easy way to diff the two files to confirm that they are the same or not.

Regarding being able to get to the other continent(s) prior to caravels- I find that I'm sometimes able to but not always. Sometimes even if there is narrow enough deep ocean for a trireme to jump things like open borders or just being on the wrong side of the continent will stop you. Other times you don't even need to jump deep ocean tiles and you quickly find coastal tiles along an island chain that get you there. Not knowing what situation you'll have can be fun.

You also don't always end up with just two continents. 3 and even 4 are possible with various combinations of civs on each. I typically re-roll if I'm isolated or even on a 2 civ continent personally. I'd probably prefer if it was more guaranteed that it would generate 2 continents with 4 civs each because I dislike what isolation does to balance but ah well.

Attachments

• ContinentsPlusPlus.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 156
IIRC, Continents Plus Plus was never a published map script; rather someone posted instructions on how to edit the Continents Plus map to allow the CS to be anywhere, both on the main continents and on the islands. The poster happened to call his Plus Plus and I guess the name stuck. I actually called my version Continents Plus CS. Anyway, that may explain some minor differences between different people's versions.

BTW, I think part of the reason it wasn't a published script was because it was based on a DLC map that you had to buy - potential copyright issues.

Last edited:
Should be: Documents / My Games / Sid Meiers Civ 5/ MODS / (1)Community Patch / Map Scripts

Just throw the .lua file into that Map Scripts folder and should be good to go.

So I did what U wrote here but strangely it still doesn't work. In game setup menu I don't have that continents++ map type. Hellbalzers doesn't appear in the list too.
Any ideas what could go wrong here?

I put it in the vanilla maps folder, not the modded map script folder, and it works fine.

Suprised nobody has mentioned this because it is my biggest issue with continents++.

It spawns major sections of land all the way up to the north and south borders of the map. Not only this but it also spawns ice up to 7 tiles from the north and south borders. Its impossible to send a navy around the continents, and major parts of the continents are uninhabitable. IMO this script is worse than plain continents.

Anybody know how to get maps to spawn less ice?

Last edited:
How do you keep scripts and mod mods in the game after a new patch?
Add a new folder in the mod folder. VP will not remove any folder that is not starting with a parenthesis '(1)'. Then, after installing the new patch, copy the files to the map folder again. I'm sure there must be a way to make a map script install like a mod, since Tectonic map script works that way, but I'm not into modding yet.

A lot of people are talking about Continents++, but Pangaea++ is really fun too. I've been playing on Huge with High Seas and you get a nice blocky continent that gives all 12 civs about the right amount of space (not hard to get 4-5 cities); usually you only get 0-2 Progress civs per game but the AI seems very reluctant to go Progress lately.

Attachments

• PangaeaPlusPlus.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom