Half Strategic Resources Mod

Twahn

Chieftain
Quick and easy mod that halves strategic resource units produced by resource tiles.

I made this because I feel strategic resources are too abundant and the limited nature of them is largely irrelevant as I always seem to have plenty of everything.

Works with the Sparse and Abundant settings, if you want to further modify the output of resources.

I've attached it here or else you can get it in the Mod Browser. :)

I feel strategic resources are overabundant too, it might partially be because the combat AI is so bad you can win with just a few units. This is a nice fix until the AI gets reworked. Thank you, downloaded!

Could you guys explain how to make those changes manualy incase iw anted to make my own personalized ones?

I see the booleans in tile improvements, but when i change the values for horses and iron, such as from 6 to 3 it doesn't have any effect ingame even new games.

So there has to be some way to change it elsewere?

-----
This 2nd half is a mod request pre say or just directions on how-too. Since i like the direction both of u guys mod i thought id ask in here.

I want to cut most promotions that units can get in half, aka barrage 20% into 10%. I think its too easy to abuse this and have unkillable units by dumb AI if u position right. I edited the values in unitpromotions.xlm but the values dont seem to show up ingame. Some kind of hidden value in some file? Think you could release someting like this or possible give me directions on how too?

Hi bdict,

You're talking about the "Resource_QuantityTypes" values? Yeah, these won't change the amount of a resource generated. Strategic resources are coded in Lua.

If you open the file in my mod, AssignStartingPlots.lua, and search for my name (Twahn) you'll see the amendments I've made. The code is very well commented so you should be able to pretty easily see what's going on and just need to changes the variables.
Then check out Kael's excellent stickied guide for some tips on modding with Lua to get it working in your own mod. :)

Happy to answer PMs if you need help mate.

-----

Second half... I haven't played with unit promotions but I would think that what you're doing is right. Are you just modifying the game file? Or are you using ModBuddy?

Game files via notepad, i dont know how to use modbuddy or LUA editors ;/

You're talking about the "Resource_QuantityTypes" values? Yeah, these won't change the amount of a resource generated. Strategic resources are coded in Lua.

For now that is absolutely true, but it makes no sense, cause the XML values are in the resources tables in the DB.
I'm kinda keen on rewriting the AssignStartingPlots.lua functions to a more modular system, which relies on the XMLs... would be more mod-friendly for future mods.

Top Bottom