[BTS] Hall of fame player log: why adopt religious civic with no state religion?

sylvanllewelyn

Perma-newb
I read "<player> has adopted organized religion / pacifism" in the hall of fame player logs. They have not converted to a state religion yet.

In the same player log, it says "<player> has converted to <religion>". So, when the player converts to a state religion, this is recorded in the player log.

Are the player logs incomplete? Or are they running organized religion / pacifism without a state religion?

Are the player logs incomplete? Or are they running organized religion / pacifism without a state religion?
I don't know if the logs are incomplete, but it might make some sense to run org rel or paci without a state religion. Org rel because it allows you to build missionaries and pacifism because it might be cheaper. Under normal circumstances, not worth the anarchy of course, which brings me to the next point.

Maybe it's done exactly due to anarchy, which in turn avoids STRIKE!!

Pacifism is no upkeep, so swapping to it saves you gold unless you've got many military units soaking up the +1 military unit support cost. Especially if it's a switch from Organized, the difference between high upkeep and no upkeep is considerable even for an Organized leader.

Another reason could be favorite civics. Brennus, for instance, is a leader that is very easy to get on friendly (or at least friendlier) terms with by running his favorite civic.

Org rel because it allows you to build missionaries and pacifism because it might be cheaper.

Does organized religion allow the player to build missionaries even when you are not in the state religion? Any missionary as long as the religion exists in the city? Seriously?

Does organized religion allow the player to build missionaries even when you are not in the state religion? Any missionary as long as the religion exists in the city? Seriously?
Yup. The only aspect of OR that relies on running a state religion is the +25% :hammers: bonus to buildings.

Might be a case of adopting a civic during a Golden Age, when you don't need the civic right now but will need it shortly. I know I've done that at least once.

Could also be that you do a double-swap.
1 turn of anarchy to change to HR, and you still get only one turn of anachy by swapping to HR+OR.
Then you do the swaps together, to save on a turn of anarchy later on.

Top Bottom