Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by handy900, Oct 9, 2005.
I'm finishing off GR7, so I'm not in a rush.
- Start GL prebuild in Tikal. It has no fresh water, but it is still our second best city after Grumpus Prime because it has some BGs and can take cows from the capital while freshwater cities have mostly plains.
- We can get the lux down by a notch simply by reassigning citizens in the capital to roaded tiles (the SoZ still completes in 1 turn). I do it and also give one cow to Tikal.
- A portuguese galley shows up.
- The SoZ is built in Grumpus Prime
- I decide to start building settlers in the capital again. It was not very clear from the screenshots, but now i see that settling west does indeed shorten the front significantly, so i'll go for it even though i don't like the land there.
- Declare war on Portugal. We have 3 wars now and the orange borders are very close.
- Bombard 3 iroquois warriors with cats and kill them with javs, and
We also get one worker
- Make an army, decide to fill it with ACs after the statue converts some elephants to horses.
- I decide to switch settler builds in towns other then the capital to something else because they will take a long time to restore the population and i want them to be productive.
- Portuguese drop an archer near an undefended city that can only be reinforced by warriors.
- I loose a warrior attacking the portuguese archer and pull 2 warriors inside for protection. We are short of units now, but i hope it'll improve after we get some ACs and some javs from towns that are currently building barracks.
- 5 iroquois warriors die at tikal and another one becomes a slave, port archer retreats to heal.
- We enslave a spanish archer, but the spanish are moving more forces towards Bonampac. I'll try to reinforce it a bit, but this will be tough.
- We enslave a spanish archer at Bonampac, other spanish units don't attack.
- We discover Writing. We can still get a tech or 2 before the GL build completes, but i don't see anything we need urgently.
- We enslave one more archer at Bonampac, but some horses show up there. It is tempting to pop-rush after joining the slave, but IIRC the citizen killed will be native and the remaining one will be spanish and this is not good.
- Our first AC is ready, i don't put it into the army yet as 1-unit armies are too risky
- I irrigated one of the previously mined cows so that we can have +5fpt in both Grumpus Prime and Tikal. GP can build a settler and a jav every 8 turns. I don't think a granary makes sense when we are so much short of units.
- Enslave 2 iroquois warriors. We already have 14 slaves . Using javs in AW looks like a good idea
- Kill a spanish archer, retreat a spanish horse.
- Kill 2 more spanish units.
- Settle a city in the west. We see orange borders again, but still no contact possible. We may soon be in trouble though as our western area is extremely poorly defended. I start moving some jags there, but most of them should stay in the east if we want to be safe from the spanish.
- Spaniards don't attack, but move deeper into our territory, propably that is because i put too many defenders into Bonampac and we have some undefended cities.
- Kill 2 spaniards and get another MGL
- I think this one should make a jav army.
- We loose a jav, had to leave them in the open to prevent tiles from pillaging.
- Our defenses are paper thin. It'll be difficult to survive. The iroquois were quiet during my turns, but the spanish were constantly sending waves of archers and horsemen. After we get contact with the orange people things will get really ugly. The 2 armies may help us though. Now both are empty because all units were busy gighting the spanish. Our second AC will be done next turn and we can make a 2AC army. There is a settler in the west, i think we should settle on the hill at CxC, otherwise we risk to get the contact. The jag/settler factory will propably be broken as good tiles will be blocked, but i doubt that building more settlers now is wise as we have not enough units to protect current cities. There are some spots on teh coast that we can fill though.
Our undefended western territories:
Good report. If we can get the Glib and find an area for a realtively small front there is a chance. SoZ is a big boost in a game like this. Good thing we have lots of slaves with all that irrigation to do. Mayans are ususally a blowout on AWM, it will be fun to see how they play AWD.
6. Sir Bugsy UP
Handy can I swap with you?
lurker's comment: I can't wait to see you guys put that Javelin Thrower Army into the field.
ok. I can probably get this tonight. If you free up before then just post an "I Got It", otherwise I'll let you know when I take it.
Hmmm... I am not hopeful. Too many contacts too early I think. I am especially worried about stagnation. It might we worth considering taking and keeping enemy cities. It has risks (flips), but allows us to grow without needing to drain us of settlers.
I agree, it doesn't look very good. Portugal seems to be far away, but we have 3 civs that are close to us and our front is only a little bit more narrow then in the previous game. Iroquois and Spain don't have iron, but orange people may have it and then we're in trouble.
Some RL stuff came up and I could not play. I will try to get this tomorrow. Rat - if you want to play in the next few hours it's ok with me.
ok, will see about that, whether I can play tonight. Will be in more than a few hours though, but definitely before you next evening.
since there are 3 attackers next to Tikal and only 1 defender, load AC into army and attack and beat 2 units
then use elite JW and beat warrior giving us another slave
IT woo, enemy animation is off, that's too fast here..enable it again
we get a 2nd AC
load AC into army, we are really light on units
IT 2 units inside our territory
kill archer and spear, found Calakmul on a hill, orange border close by, but sooner or later we will meet them
IT a lot of Spanish units appraoch us now
army kills archer, but our capital will face some attacks next turn by horses
IT Spain doesn't attack but occupy one of the cows with 4 units
load 2nd army with 2 JW
army goes to 2hp taking out a reg archer, elite JW gets us a slave taking out archer
heal 2unit AC army
IT wounded horses retreat, but pillage spears enter now
AC army takes out a horse within reach
IT Spanish must be on steroids as many more units flock in
Iro's land a sword in our hinterland
we get literature, mysticism can be done in 4, but honestly without the GL we are surely toast here
new AC takes out the landed sword
we need to be more aggressive now, JW army takes out 2 units turning them into slaves
AC army finishes the job by taking out 2 more units from Spain
37 turns to go for the GL,
defeat 5 units and move JW army towards Spain
IT 4 more Spanish unit appear from Murcia
JW army takes 2 of them out getting a slave
2 more Spanish units join the glue factory with one joining the band of slaves
army attacks Murcia and turns 2 spear into slaves
IT Murcia has turned from pop 4 to pop 2 within 2 turns, pop rushing is nice
unfortunately our JW is too injured to risk an attack
attack a harmless lone Iro warrior with elite JW and
we have another MGL
leave a few decisions up to next player, for this reason armies are not moved yet
there is an AC in the west for defense, next turn we get another AC to join the army
overall good turns without a single unit loss, GL takes another 26 turns
also, we have to decide on research, no beaker invested yet into new tech
I forgot to add, I think we should keep the MGL for FP, which we should be able to build very soon
I have it. I should get it played tonight.
Good deal. I'll go play SGOTM.
Pre-flight Move AC Army towards Spain.
IBT Copan: Spear=>settler
975 Our AC Army attacks Murcia and
Also kill a Spanish archer. (2-0)
IBT Portuguese drop off a sword.
950 Kill a IRO spear and enslave the amphibious PORT sword. Kill two Spaniards.
Found Handazapa. We can now build the FP, which Ill use the leader for next turn.
IBT No attacks, but we see our first mountie.
925 Leader rushes the FP. Attack a IRO warrior and
What a lousy picture. Well it is a leader. Actually that leader doesnt even have a name. That is weird. Ive never seen that. Well save him for our next army. Enslave two more Spaniards and kill three more. (11-0)
IBT The mountie is enslaved.
900 Kill a IRO warrior, enslave another. (14-0)
IBT Kill a IRO warrior.
875 Kill a Spanish archer. (16-0)
IBT Bismark shows up in his Middle Ages garb and wants to trade HBR for literature. I dont want to give away literature until we have the Library. Here is the screenshot for intel purposes:
I declare war of course.
850 We get two slaves the old fashioned way, by killing a Spanish settler pair. Start marching on Zaragoza.
BTW, Germany is the Orange people. (17-0)
IBT Several Germans step forward, along with some Iroquois. A PORT sword is dropped off on the coast.
Germans complete ToA
825 Enslave a IRO archer.
@ Zaragoza kill one spear (19-0)
IBT A sword attacks out of Zaragoza and we lose a JT.
Hiawatha wants to talk.
800 Found Greebaminaljuyú. @ Zaragoza Our JT army is redlined but
We enslaved the defender and get two slaves from the ruins. Kill two Iroquois. Kill two Germans. Kill the amphibious Portuguese. Lose a JT. (25-2)
IBT Lagartero: JT=>JT
775 Kill three Spaniards, a German, and an Iroquois. (30-2)
IBT Yaks: JT=>JT
The French complete the HG.
750 Found Piedras Rategras. Kill a German horse. (31-2)
After Action The cats are helping a lot, but the pressure is increasing. Luckily the Spanish are weak and we can expand in their direction.
Here is the East:
And the west:
And the save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Handy21,_750_BC.SAV
Oh, we can get spices just east of Piedras Rategras.
solid progress, by the way, do we now have enough cities for a 3rd army? The pentagon would be huge in this game since we do not need to worry about overseas shipment.
As long as we can expand, we should be doing fine. It looks better than expected.
Just curious, why are you still researching currency when GLib is being built?
1. Handy UP
2. ThERat (swapped with Bugs)
6. Sir Bugsy
This is a good question considering this is Pangaea. We almost won AWD continents after we missed the Glib, but if we miss it on this map we are toast for sure. Should we just hoard the cash after we get currency in 3 and hope for the best? Or maybe begin to hoard cash now?
Edit: double post
Separate names with a comma.