happy to find this forum

dizzygreen

Chieftain
Well, I picked up Civ4 and BTS two weeks ago, and have been getting my butt handed to me for two weeks by the Warlord AI. It mostly seems like I'm beating myself though. I'm a Starcraft veteran and I'm playing the game starcraft-style, trying to expand and attack super aggressively.

I can tell this is going to be a long learning curve, but I'm up to it. This forum has taught me that all my old ways were wrong LOL.

Welcome. I have no idea about those other games, but for CIV and BTS there are alot of great articles and walkthroughs to get you started.

Thanks. I've been reading Sisituil's beginner's guide, which is quite helpful.

One of the best. Follow his ALC games, they are very informative and fun.

Aggressive rapid expansion can actually work in this game, but is by no means the sure route to success. For just starting out, you may want to focus on seeing how far you can expand before your economy starts to crash. At least for me, that was the big learning curve in this game. Best of luck!

The best newcomer rule for expansion is the "60%" rule. Once the science slider has been reduced to 60% to cover maintenance for the new cities, stop expanding, and consolidate your position financially.

Cottages are the best way to earn "commerce", but they take time to mature. Once they have matured somewhat, you can continue expanding, either by settler or by force, but its unwise to let your science slider dip below 50%, or you will find yourself in an economic crash.

In a similar way to games like Starcraft, your workers are the meat of your empire. Without them, you wont get far, so building them should be a priority. Most top players start with a worker in their first city, and research a tech that worker can use (if you dont have one already, and often even if you do). For example, if your starting city has Gold on a hill, and you dont start with Mining, then researching Mining while your first worker is building will allow you to "hook up" that resource quicker, likewise if you have Corn in your city cross (affectionately referred to here as your BFC, for Big Fat Cross), Agriculture should be one of your first techs.

Some techs "reveal" other resources, the most important ones are Bronze Working (copper), Animal Husbandry (horses) and Iron Working (iron). Copper and Horses (and iron, for that matter) also allow you to make stronger military units, so their early research should be a priority, especially if your Civ uses one of these resrouces for its Unique Unit. Iron, while still very important, can often be delayed a bit if you have Copper, since you will already have the ability to make a solid military. Exceptions "iron can be delayed a bit" are if your UU uses it (Rome, China) or if you discover no Copper in your area. Iron will allow even stronger units, though, so its still very important.

Since you cannot just make cities willy-nilly, city placement becomes especially important. Choose your locations carefully, with both resources and "military strategy" in mind. Sometimes, you can totally block a neighboring AI Civ off by dropping a city on his "access point" to the rest of the continent. This is especially useful in the long-term, because eventually you WILL have a strong enough economy to expand into the area you have created for yourself.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Prepare to be addicted :)

Yes that was very helpful! I'm trying to play only Native Americans until I get the hang of their playing style. Since they don't need copper to build their unique Axeman, I'm going to try building up until the 60% rule applies and then build a unique unit (dog soldier sp?) army to take out a weaker neighbor. I'm planning on kissing up to a stronger neighbor, and getting them to declare war with me on the other guy. How hard is it to convince an ally to fight with you? Afterwards, I'm going to tech up, hopefully take advantage of some great people with Sitting Bull's philosophical trait. Oh, and don't worry I'm addicted already..

Yes that was very helpful! I'm trying to play only Native Americans until I get the hang of their playing style. Since they don't need copper to build their unique Axeman, I'm going to try building up until the 60% rule applies and then build a unique unit (dog soldier sp?) army to take out a weaker neighbor. I'm planning on kissing up to a stronger neighbor, and getting them to declare war with me on the other guy. How hard is it to convince an ally to fight with you? Afterwards, I'm going to tech up, hopefully take advantage of some great people with Sitting Bull's philosophical trait. Oh, and don't worry I'm addicted already..

Sounds good. Focusing on Sitting Bull is probably good, as he's one of the weaker leaders; that means no cheesy tactics or crutches to get dependent on (except maybe the Dog Solider, but I doubt it.) Just keep in mind that, in the end, it's hard to create pre-determined strategies for this game.

This forum has taught me that all my old ways were wrong LOL.

If it makes you feel any better, those of us who have been playing since Civ I were also doing all the wrong things for quite a while. Civ IV is very complex, and very different from previous versions.

Hard to bribe people to war until you can actually bribe them with something (alphabet allows tech trading, trade something valuable).

One bit of advice, maintenance explodes with the number of cities, so raze a lot of cities.

Ignore DaveMcW's post. That strategy brings you from "really hard to take cities from" to "really REALLY hard to take cities from". Cool if you like overkill, lacking in practical value.

Drill IV means you're attacking, and it's native american.

The slingshot through monarchy is possible and pretty powerful, however

1) It's tough as monarchy is pricey and your sacrificing other important techs.
2) By the time I get Monarchy the AI gets the oracle.
3) I am a fan of metal casting for the early forges so I would still prefer that over fuedalism which the Ai techs out faster in BTS than warlords or vanilla.

Longbows make good attacking units although I do not see how they are better than swords. Protective longbows very early would be fine, but the early forges gets you more production for units.

Take the above with a grain of salt as I am a Monarch/emperor level player while Dave is a better player.

Welcome aboard.

As a fellow (ex)starcraft player, I believe the two games do have some similarities ('rushing' , building a variety of units to overcome weaknesses, attempting to obtain econ advantage) Just think of it more like a TvT, PvP or ZvZ, where everyone has access to the same units (excluding UU/UB)

IMO, the main difference is that in cIV you have more than one opponent, so a rush to quickly take down an opponent is usually followed by a period of empire-building, to prevent you falling behind the other players in technology.

Another problem I found when adjusting was slowing down to take my time with each move, just remember in this game you dont need to go at 200 APM :)

Good luck!

Top Bottom