[R&F] Has anyone else noticed that CSes sometimes just stop building stuff?

You need to attach stuff to their trait MINOR_CIV_DEFAULT_TRAIT
Check in the base files how this is used to either attach modifiers (to give them direct bonuses) or AiLists (to make them prioritize different stuff).
Modifiers can be a little complicated, so I'd recommend just looking for something that does something similar and to try to find all the components you need (at least modifier and modifierarguments)

Thanks, it seems by default CSes get -50% production. That would explain why they have trouble building stuff.

Another problem ive seen is that their tech levels dont auto-scale like barbarians do. I liberated Jerusalem and they started building slingers...in the information era.

Is there a way to make their tech scale like barbarians?

You need to attach stuff to their trait MINOR_CIV_DEFAULT_TRAIT
Check in the base files how this is used to either attach modifiers (to give them direct bonuses) or AiLists (to make them prioritize different stuff).
Modifiers can be a little complicated, so I'd recommend just looking for something that does something similar and to try to find all the components you need (at least modifier and modifierarguments)

Thanks, it seems by default CSes get -50% production. That would explain why they have trouble building stuff.

Another problem ive seen is that their tech levels dont auto-scale like barbarians do. I liberated Jerusalem and they started building slingers...in the information era.

Last edited by a moderator:

No idea, sorry. Not even sure whether it's possible and how the barb system works exactly. There's a BarbarianFree attribute on some techs, which probably means at least part of the barb tech system is hardcoded.

City states can only build 2 districts...harbors and their particular district type. All the others are disabled for them.

I remembered you wrote this when I was playing last weekend when I saw Jerusalem with a campus. I'm 99% sure it was never conquered and then liberated as it was pretty close so I discovered it early.

They can also build Neighborhoods as I've seen them do that on occasion and it's not listed as a favored item either way.
You're right! Totally forgot about Neighborhoods.
I remembered you wrote this when I was playing last weekend when I saw Jerusalem with a campus. I'm 99% sure it was never conquered and then liberated as it was pretty close so I discovered it early.
That's certainly not supposed to happen with the vanilla coding as all non-type specialty districts other than the ones I mentioned are disfavored in the AI lists. Maybe something went wonky with its AI that game!

If you're playing with AI+ that's the reason, I've unlocked the districts to make the city states a bit less terrible.

If you're playing with AI+ that's the reason, I've unlocked the districts to make the city states a bit less terrible.

I have AI+ installed but I disabled it when R&F went live, wasn't sure if it was compatible. Is it? Maybe it turned itself on because a game I started yesterday suddenly had the CQUI enabled for some reason.

I have AI+ installed but I disabled it when R&F went live, wasn't sure if it was compatible. Is it? Maybe it turned itself on because a game I started yesterday suddenly had the CQUI enabled for some reason.

The latest version is compatible yes. I've had a few rare cases of mods turning themselves on too, so maybe?

I'll have a look when I get home.

Edit: yes, it was on. Does it enable itself when it's updated? Anyway, thanks for your work on that mod!

Last edited:
No idea, sorry. Not even sure whether it's possible and how the barb system works exactly. There's a BarbarianFree attribute on some techs, which probably means at least part of the barb tech system is hardcoded.

Free cities seem to get free techs as well :(.

Infact, in Civ 5, didnt CS tech auto scale with the other civs?

Top Bottom